It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anyone else find ufology incredibly boring nowadays?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 10:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: Tangerine

originally posted by: PlanetXisHERE

originally posted by: Eunuchorn
I saw you say something like this in a thread yesterday; I recommend ufo mass media compilation videos; they're far from boring:::

youtu.be...

You can only watch a light show for so long before you ask how it was created. That's been asked and pursued for 70 years by the cult of ET to a dead end.

Ah......the cult of ET..........how refreshing......nice pejorative.......not biased at all! So UFO's exist, no one can debate that, and you think poltergeist are the explanation? Some may scoff at that and think that it is less believable than the ET explanation, but I'm open minded. I certainly wouldn't say "the cult of the poltergeist", yet the phenomenon is certainly no less deserving of the moniker than that of the UFO-ET connection.

I don't know what's responsible but pursuing the ET hypothesis hasn't panned out. Time to look in different directions. Or do you propose taking another run at that wall?

Let me guess, it hasn't panned out because there is no testable evidence right? So your solution is to approach it from a standpoint of which testable evidence would be nigh impossible to prove ala the paranormal and other like minded theories. Theories in which speculation, assumptions, and personal faith based testimony reign supreme and are the only crutches supporting it. Not saying that there might not be a smidgen of truth in there somewhere but I'll take my chances trying to bust through the ET wall, all the others are too heavily reinforced.
edit on CSTMon, 02 Mar 2015 10:40:43 -0600000000America/ChicagoMarAmerica/Chicago434340am by TrueMessiah because: (no reason given)

edit on CSTMon, 02 Mar 2015 10:41:50 -0600000000America/ChicagoMarAmerica/Chicago505041am by TrueMessiah because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 10:51 AM
link   
a reply to: kayleighkitty

Logic and facts has that effect on people.

Most of the cases presented in the last 5 years can be explained to a certain possibility using non extraordinary claims and basic logic.

Also more people are aware that video and pics can be easily faked and un-reliable.

Then you have cry wolves syndrome especially by documentaries. People are tired of the "WHAT IF" sceneries lack of any new substantial evidence, fuzzy pictures or videos, and second hand accounts.

However, if you go to another site where they throw seeking the truth out the window, you will find they go immediately to the extraordinary claims as the answer, which does make it funner to read.

But yeah I'm with you, I usually wait till I see a UFO topic at the top of the list for a while before I peak at it. I give it enough time to pass the hoax bin test.
edit on 52331America/ChicagoMon, 02 Mar 2015 10:52:55 -0600up3142 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 11:36 AM
link   
There're still interesting cases to be had, but I can understand the OP. I lost faith in Ufology years ago. I realize now most of Ufology is just wishful thinking and entertainment.

Ok so there're still a lot of old cases which're not adequately answered. I can't name all of them. In fact, I can't even be relied on for those I might refer to. I think the best way for me to say this is Blue Book, over all its years of active operation, recorded maybe hundreds of 'unknowns'. These were cases they did not find a sufficient explanation for. This doesn't mean aliens are landing on Earth, it just means they didn't have enough information to arrive at a reasonable conclusion. Still, if one wants to understand Ufology, one must explore the Blue Book archives.

1. Does anyone know what happened with that UFO case in Chicago (2006) a few years back? Supposedly a UFO was spotted above the airport and left a hole in the clouds when it left.
2. Kenneth Arnold's (two) sighting are still not explained well. And do most people know he claimed to witness a ball of light in his home? Or that he became somewhat of a spiritual nut? Now I know some people claimed to explain his sighting(s), but personally, I think he may have witnessed experimental militayr craft.

Therer'e multitudes of other cases over the past 70 years. One has to have a lot of patience to wade through it all. The cases I really like are the one involving pilots and policeman because of their credibility. However, there're not many, and even people of that ilk can lie or be mistaken.

And hte problem is since ufology is mostly in the past then there's essentially no empirical evidence to support it. That's because nobody has found empirical evidence. The only thing empirical about Ufology is we have a lot of stories but no dead aliens. So even if I find a good cases which remains unexplained I can never come to a solid conclusion. Worse, many of the witnesses will now be dead, so I can't even talk to the principal people.

Want to spend time on something you won't regret? Learn chemistry or earth science or physics or geology or.... My favorites: Astrophysics, Exobiology, Exoplanetology. Almost as fun as science fiction. Imagine how much better off humanity would be if those things were our entertainment.
edit on 2-3-2015 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 11:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: Cuervo

originally posted by: olaru12

I spend a lot of time in "the valley" it's far from boring up there; in fact I just experienced an incidence that totally ****** with my mind. I don't know if it was ufos, paranormal, mind control, or what but total high strangness!!

I hesitate to even describe it on ATS as I don't need the Hoaxer label and the insults that go with it. Another ATS member was with me and she feels the exact same way.

www.unexplained-mysteries.com...

C'mon! Pretty please? Write a thread about it?

For you....OK

I'm going to write our experience as a short story in the collaborative lit. Forum to avoid the adolescent BS & not so adolescent BS.
edit on 2-3-2015 by olaru12 because: ÷%//&s×

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 04:36 PM
link   

I saw you say something like this in a thread yesterday; I recommend ufo mass media compilation videos; they're far from boring:::

youtu.be...

You can only watch a light show for so long before you ask how it was created. That's been asked and pursued for 70 years by the cult of ET to a dead end.

Did you watch the video? It's a little more than a 12 minute light show

So what? It may be spectacular but it gets us no closer to understanding the cause of the phenomena. If you think it does, what causes the phenomena?

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 04:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: TrueMessiah

originally posted by: PlanetXisHERE

youtu.be...

Ah......the cult of ET..........how refreshing......nice pejorative.......not biased at all! So UFO's exist, no one can debate that, and you think poltergeist are the explanation? Some may scoff at that and think that it is less believable than the ET explanation, but I'm open minded. I certainly wouldn't say "the cult of the poltergeist", yet the phenomenon is certainly no less deserving of the moniker than that of the UFO-ET connection.

I don't know what's responsible but pursuing the ET hypothesis hasn't panned out. Time to look in different directions. Or do you propose taking another run at that wall?

Let me guess, it hasn't panned out because there is no testable evidence right? So your solution is to approach it from a standpoint of which testable evidence would be nigh impossible to prove ala the paranormal and other like minded theories. Theories in which speculation, assumptions, and personal faith based testimony reign supreme and are the only crutches supporting it. Not saying that there might not be a smidgen of truth in there somewhere but I'll take my chances trying to bust through the ET wall, all the others are too heavily reinforced.

Correct. When you make a claim of fact (ie. UFOs are piloted by extraterrestrials who visit earth and abduct people) then you have to prove that claim of fact by citing testable evidence. 70 years and you have none. You can, of course, continue down that path. I would prefer to look at UFOs as part of a constellation of strange phenomena. It's long been known that many people who have UFO experiences often have other anomalous experiences which suggests that there may be a connection. That we don't understand the nature of those experiences doesn't mean that there might not be value in exploring them. I am certainly not claiming that that approach is scientific and I make no claims of fact about it. Now if the Cult of ET would wake up to the realization that they are making claims of fact and have utterly failed to back them up with testable evidence, that would be a good first step toward self-awareness and the apparent futility of going down that path.

You confuse theory with hypothesis. A theory (ie. theorum) has been proven via testable evidence.

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 04:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: Cuervo

I spend a lot of time in "the valley" it's far from boring up there; in fact I just experienced an incidence that totally ****** with my mind. I don't know if it was ufos, paranormal, mind control, or what but total high strangness!!

I hesitate to even describe it on ATS as I don't need the Hoaxer label and the insults that go with it. Another ATS member was with me and she feels the exact same way.

www.unexplained-mysteries.com...

C'mon! Pretty please? Write a thread about it?

For you....OK

I'm going to write our experience as a short story in the collaborative lit. Forum to avoid the adolescent BS & not so adolescent BS.

Woohoo! We'll be waiting for it.

posted on Mar, 3 2015 @ 12:46 AM
link   
I actually came to ATS after a UFO sighting and now, I never click on the links anymore. I guess because I've had the experience, did the research I needed to do and have accepted that they exist, I moved on.
The more I looked into it, the less I thought extra-terrestrial, yet even as I say that, the technology for the propulsion that I witnessed was not like anything I could imagine. About a week ago, I actually saw something (on ATS?) that led me to believe I might finally have an answer for what I saw. So now, I'm going to start researching that angle and see what I can come up with. See if I still think it's man-made, ET or stolen ET tech. It has to be one of the 3

edit on 3-3-2015 by smilesmcgee because: grammar

posted on Mar, 3 2015 @ 06:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: jonnywhite
There're still interesting cases to be had, but I can understand the OP. I lost faith in Ufology years ago. I realize now most of Ufology is just wishful thinking and entertainment.

And if you need further evidence of this, consider that the majority of the money MUFON gets is not spent on "the scientific investigation of UFOs", it's spent on their yearly story telling session called the MUFON Symposium.

I can not think of one legitimate scientific research organization which spends more of its money on its yearly meeting than actual research.

And its not like the MUFON Symposium is anything like a scientific meeting. It's just another UFO convention with a heavy focus on entertainment.

posted on Mar, 3 2015 @ 08:46 AM
link   

I remember UFOlogy in the 70's, and it was really cool and exciting back then. My favorite TV show was U.F.O. and I couldn't get enough of anything having to do with the subject. Docudramas like Project UFO and In Search Of brought the accounts into the mainstream, and when Close Encounters came out I could hardly contain myself.

I guess the biggest change is the accessibility to information. Anyone with an iPhone can research now, and unfortunately the old stories that were once accepted as presented in the limited media don't hold up to close scrutiny. With much of the mystery lifted and the field of actual unexplained events narrowed, enthusiasm for the topic wanes. I sort of miss the old days, but that's all part of growing up.

posted on Mar, 3 2015 @ 04:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: smilesmcgee
I actually came to ATS after a UFO sighting and now, I never click on the links anymore. I guess because I've had the experience, did the research I needed to do and have accepted that they exist, I moved on.
The more I looked into it, the less I thought extra-terrestrial, yet even as I say that, the technology for the propulsion that I witnessed was not like anything I could imagine. About a week ago, I actually saw something (on ATS?) that led me to believe I might finally have an answer for what I saw. So now, I'm going to start researching that angle and see what I can come up with. See if I still think it's man-made, ET or stolen ET tech. It has to be one of the 3

No, it doesn't have to be one of those three. There are other options. I suggest that you read Jacques Vallee.

posted on Mar, 3 2015 @ 04:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: JadeStar

originally posted by: jonnywhite

And if you need further evidence of this, consider that the majority of the money MUFON gets is not spent on "the scientific investigation of UFOs", it's spent on their yearly story telling session called the MUFON Symposium.

I can not think of one legitimate scientific research organization which spends more of its money on its yearly meeting than actual research.

And its not like the MUFON Symposium is anything like a scientific meeting. It's just another UFO convention with a heavy focus on entertainment.

As far as I know, MUFON doesn't spend a dime on scientific investigation. There's absolutely nothing about MUFON that is scientific (ie. follows the scientific method). If someone disagrees, please direct me to an actual scientific study done by MUFON.

posted on Mar, 5 2015 @ 02:27 AM
link   
a reply to: Tangerine

It's long been known that many people who have UFO experiences often have other anomalous experiences which suggests that there may be a connection.

Well, apart from the physical causes: certain chemicals that can cause abduction and other paranormal experiences; infrasound also has the effect of making people experiencing things, and people with psychological disorders (among my acquaintances there are 2 people with schizophrenia, and they do hear and see some weird stuff: I have seen one talking to the Virgin Mary who was physically present, at least to him). And there are probably even more physical causes that can make people experience what they identify as UFOs and other paranormal stuff. And I am forgetting hypnotic inductions.

There is also the psychological/sociological cause. Most of us are brought up in a believe system: the miracles of God and Jesus, resurection, apparitions of angels, the Djinns, etc. Not really usual day-to-day stuff. Or we acquire an interest in another believe system, such as e.g. fortean phenomena.
Could we be hardwired, psychologically and sociologically, to interprete a phenomenon that is unknown to us, as either/or being mystic, extraterrestrial, interdimensional and paranormal?
What I mean is: may it be that it is not a UFO sighting that causes other phenomena to occur, but that we are predisposed to interprete what we see/hear but don't understand as a UFO and e.g. plasma beings?

So not: UFO -> other phenomena ; But: believe system -> UFO + other phenomena.

Best regards.

posted on Mar, 5 2015 @ 05:27 AM
link   

youtu.be...

So what? It may be spectacular but it gets us no closer to understanding the cause of the phenomena. If you think it does, what causes the phenomena?

I forget people actually care about "understanding the cause" of anything that happens. Accept everything, believe nothing.
"Proving" anything about anything isn't gonna change my reality. I'm content to believe what I believe, & don't expect proof of alien life any time before they personally set foot here in front of some international news cameras.

posted on Mar, 5 2015 @ 05:34 AM
link   
I think it is because it is more common. A good thing. Maybe complete disclosure is close. Once enough eyes are open and most doubt is gone. Not a conspiracy theory any more. It might happen. As long as religion does not encourage gov to suppress it. Oh no, what would happen if so many people figured out their great book was a myth. What would be the meaning of life for them. HA, Ha.

posted on Mar, 5 2015 @ 05:43 AM
link   

I think that the mind set about this whole thing is the problem. If the UFO phenomenon is taken as a type of entertainment then yeah you will get bored with it when nothing "interesting" happens for a while.

Plus there's a whole lot of hoax footage and questionable stories diluting the whole field...

posted on Mar, 5 2015 @ 09:19 AM
link   
You know one of the posters here said it's interesting that many of the UFO sightings stopped after the cold war or something to that effect. If you are bored with UFOlogy and want to get closer to the truth as to what the UFO are about I recommend converting to the aviation forum here instead.

posted on Mar, 5 2015 @ 11:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: draknoir2

I remember UFOlogy in the 70's, and it was really cool and exciting back then. My favorite TV show was U.F.O. and I couldn't get enough of anything having to do with the subject. Docudramas like Project UFO and In Search Of brought the accounts into the mainstream, and when Close Encounters came out I could hardly contain myself.

Seems we had the same influences. Bigfoot has yet to be explained. Nimoy had the best voice for that show.

posted on Mar, 5 2015 @ 12:35 PM
link   
I can't agree with you. While I was a Field Investigator for MUFON the one thing that really turned me off to working with other investigators was how quickly many of them would say its a UFO, or worse lead the eye witness with questions.

I still free lance every now and then investigating sightings, but it can be very boring at time. On the other hand when you get involved with a current hot case, things can be very exciting very quickly.

If you really think its a boring field try asking a local MUFON investigator if you can go on an investigation. While the investigator may or may not be very good, MUFON does get the good cases to check out and they have a standards of conduct to follow too. Make your own decision about the evidence you might happen upon, and have fun.

If you are going to make the point of it being boring based on the activity of UFO web sights filled with people too lazy to go conduct a real investigation. Then yes it's a dead field.

posted on Mar, 5 2015 @ 03:35 PM
link   

youtu.be...

I forget people actually care about "understanding the cause" of anything that happens. Accept everything, believe nothing.
"Proving" anything about anything isn't gonna change my reality. I'm content to believe what I believe, & don't expect proof of alien life any time before they personally set foot here in front of some international news cameras.

Alien life? I don't understand why people assume that UFOs have anything to do with alien life.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join