It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Your favorite cryptids and why you love them

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 11:51 PM
link   
So, I decided to start this thread to share with the other members my favorite cryptid and why I love it. I'd like for you to also share your favorite mythological creatures and what fascinates you about them. This is just for fun. I'm not presenting any evidence towards it's existence. I just want to have a nice discussion about cryptids. I'll tell you how I first heard about it, what intrigues me about it and what makes me hope it just might exist.

My favorite cryptid is possibly the most famous cryptid of all time, The Loch Ness Monster. When I was a child I was absolutely fascinated by dinosaurs, like many children. I lived in New Haven Connecticut. Home of Yale University and the Peabody Museum of Natural History. My mother would bring me there at least once a month so I could marvel at the skeletons of various prehistoric beasts. One of the exhibits on display was the skull of a plesiosaur. My mother told me about the legend of the Loch Ness Monster. I was fascinated. When we left, we stopped at the gift shop and of course I wanted the little plastic plesiosaur. I remember bugging my mother to take me to the library so I could borrow any books I could find regarding the Loch Ness Monster. As a small child I was absolutely convinced it existed.

My love for the creature endures to this day. I know that extensive research has been done in search of the creature and all have turned up empty handed. The loch doesn't support enough prey for a breeding population of creatures of that size to sustain itself. The stories which date back to the 7th century will always hold a special place in my heart and I will never grow tired of hearing them.

Ok fellow members, now it's your turn. I'd love to hear about your favorites.

posted on Feb, 28 2015 @ 12:01 AM
link   
a reply to: PorteurDeMort

'Da Wolpertinger

posted on Feb, 28 2015 @ 12:04 AM
link   
Definitely The Kraken

Because it can be unleashed.

posted on Feb, 28 2015 @ 12:12 AM
link   
My vote's for the Flatwood's monster (because he's cool)

link

posted on Feb, 28 2015 @ 12:20 AM
link   
You are all bonkers. Yeah Ok, lochy is cool as. The Kraken is pretty awesome but ......

Nothing beats a Dragon, ..... nothing!

They breathe fire! They have magic. They can cook their own meals! They fly. They have gold. They eat politicians for breakfast. WHat's not to like.

P

posted on Feb, 28 2015 @ 12:23 AM
link   

I would have to say the Unicorn . Just a Horse with a Single Horn ? Evolution could have accomplished that easily Right ? ..........)

posted on Feb, 28 2015 @ 12:32 AM
link   
a reply to: pheonix358

Dragons yeah, they are cool, but never underestimate the Wolpertinger. They are furious and vicious, also could be poisonous, they would sneak up on your dragon too small for him to see and then bite him his eyes out, from behind his head, so he would be blindly falling around never knowing what hit him, till the poison strikes him down and the Wolpertinger could feast on it.
They are also rabbits in parts so imagine how fast they would explode in numbers by that much tasty dragon-flesh. Wolpertinger world domination is a never ending subliminal danger mankind faces every day whitout even noticing.

posted on Feb, 28 2015 @ 12:51 AM
link   
all those posted ain't got nothing on the almighty Popobawa!

posted on Feb, 28 2015 @ 12:59 AM
link   
a reply to: IShotMyLastMuse

What is the popobawa?

posted on Feb, 28 2015 @ 01:09 AM
link   
Popo huh?

Never heard of that, bit it reminds me of my favorite cryptdid, "Ogopogo", because I like saying it's name over and over and over.

Ogopogo, is also known as Canada's Loch Ness Monster 👾

www.ogopogoquest.com...

edit on 2282015 by seattlerat because: fixed formatting

posted on Feb, 28 2015 @ 01:18 AM
link   
Mine will always be sasquatch. I've never had an encounter but the topic has always piqued my interest along with other paranormal subject matter since I was a kid. I think the attraction for me is out of all the many cryptids, the sasquatch seems to be the most likely to exist. I think the fact that sasquatch has been reported all across the country and other parts of the world contributed to my interest. Growing up in Ohio, I read countless sightings in my own backyard. I always wanted to believe and catch a glimpse. Now that I'm grown, a part of me still does.
edit on 28-2-2015 by jtrenthacker because: words is hard

posted on Feb, 28 2015 @ 01:43 AM
link   
Neither of mine are technically cryptids. I have always liked pegasuses, but those are so far removed from current beliefs that they are certainly mythological. No one out there probably besides children or the mentally believe they exist.

The other is the Mothman because of the ominous story surrounding it, but that depends on whose version of the story you believe, if any. Personally I think it was often an owl, but if something supernatural then I would be inclined to believe it was something from another dimension.

posted on Feb, 28 2015 @ 01:43 AM
link   
I've heard a big 'Thing in the Woods."
I would like to know what that was.
It scared the crap out of a few of us.

posted on Feb, 28 2015 @ 01:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: Zanti Misfit

I would have to say the Unicorn .

I wuv you too!

edit on 28-2-2015 by Eunuchorn because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2015 @ 01:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: skunkape23
I've heard a big 'Thing in the Woods."
I would like to know what that was.
It scared the crap out of a few of us.

What did it sound like? I used to live near Mt. Ranier and on many occasions encountered elk and heard their eerie "alien" calls to each other. This is also where I witnessed UFOs, probably casing the elk.

posted on Feb, 28 2015 @ 01:57 AM
link   

Popobawa, also Popo Bawa, is the name of an evil spirit, or shetani,[2] which is believed by residents to have first appeared on the Tanzanian island of Pemba. In 1995, it was the focus of a major outbreak of mass hysteria or panic which spread from Pemba to Unguja, the main island of the Zanzibar archipelago, and across to Dar es Salaam and other urban centres on the East African coast

Popobawa attacks men, women and children, and may attack all of the members of a household, before passing on to another house in the neighbourhood. Its nocturnal attacks can comprise simple physical assault and/or poltergeist-like phenomena; but most feared is sexual assault and the sodomising of adult men and women. Victims are often urged to tell others that they have been assaulted, and are threatened with repeat visits by Popobawa if they do not

...I'd rather have a romantic dinner with the beast of bray road.

posted on Feb, 28 2015 @ 02:03 AM
link   

Mine was probably always the mothman, scared me bad when I was a kid. But as I learnt more about it I found interesting because of its bizarreness and I always look for sightings of more mothman like creatures to pop up

posted on Feb, 28 2015 @ 02:03 AM
link   

www.dailymail.co.uk...

Not a cryptid nor a unicorn but it would be so great if the animal in the link above could make its way back from extinction .

posted on Feb, 28 2015 @ 03:00 AM
link   
Jersey Devil

The story behind it all is scary and fascinating.

Then of course, Bigfoot, Mothman and Nessie come in a close second. You have to love the classics.
edit on 28-2-2015 by Bloodydagger because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2015 @ 03:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: IShotMyLastMuse

Popobawa, also Popo Bawa, is the name of an evil spirit, or shetani,[2] which is believed by residents to have first appeared on the Tanzanian island of Pemba. In 1995, it was the focus of a major outbreak of mass hysteria or panic which spread from Pemba to Unguja, the main island of the Zanzibar archipelago, and across to Dar es Salaam and other urban centres on the East African coast

Popobawa attacks men, women and children, and may attack all of the members of a household, before passing on to another house in the neighbourhood. Its nocturnal attacks can comprise simple physical assault and/or poltergeist-like phenomena; but most feared is sexual assault and the sodomising of adult men and women. Victims are often urged to tell others that they have been assaulted, and are threatened with repeat visits by Popobawa if they do not

...I'd rather have a romantic dinner with the beast of bray road.

Ummm, rape monsters are wicked scary!

<<   2  3 >>

join