It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Baby Woolly Rhino Discovered In Siberia Is The First Ever Found

page: 1

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on Feb, 25 2015 @ 05:32 PM
link   

The pristine specimen of the tiny extinct rhino--the only one of its type ever found--was discovered in permafrost along the bank of a stream in Siberia's Sakha Republic

Scientists estimate that the rhino--which has been dubbed Sasha--was 18 months old when it died some 10,000 years ago, according to the Times. The specimen includes the animal's wool, an ear, an eye, nostrils, and skull and mouth.

Assuming this is factual and all the tests show it is indeed an animal dating back over 10 millenia ago, this is quite amazing! This would also mean they will travel the area to see if they can find any other rhinos nearby. I'm also surprised by how well preserved it is! I guess since it's been frozen this whole time....

There are some photos and more info in the linked story. If any of you awesomer members wish to post them in the thread feel free!

Story
edit on PMWed, 25 Feb 2015 17:34:13 -060022015Wednesday2532015215 by ArnoldNonymous because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 25 2015 @ 05:34 PM
link   
At first I thought it was still alive & was excited.

Dead, not so exciting.

posted on Feb, 25 2015 @ 05:41 PM
link   
Pleistocene Megafauna are always exciting finds. We should extract DNA from the wooly rhino so we can breed a lot of them and hunt them to extinction like the current black rhino........on second thought maybe the woolys are better off where they are.

posted on Feb, 25 2015 @ 05:57 PM
link   

They killed Chewbacca !!!

posted on Feb, 25 2015 @ 06:25 PM
link   
a reply to: boymonkey74

It almost looks like a brown, furry Ki-rin.

posted on Feb, 25 2015 @ 06:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: boymonkey74

They killed Chewbacca !!!

Oh my cookies wow!

posted on Feb, 25 2015 @ 09:10 PM
link   
It kind of looks like someone's dead rotted dog to me in the one picture. Maybe some scientists needed a good discovery to feel important.

posted on Feb, 25 2015 @ 09:17 PM
link   
Wow that's amazing!
Maybe next they'll find Woolly Humans.....

edit on 25-2-2015 by imitator because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 25 2015 @ 09:30 PM
link   
a reply to: ArnoldNonymous

Fascinating. S&F'd

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 01:48 AM
link   
a reply to: ArnoldNonymous

This could yield DNA allowing to bring it back.

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 01:49 AM
link   
Clone more so we can see what they taste like!!!.

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 04:01 AM
link   
They found one in 2006 so not the first. and it was in better condition than that bag of rags.

edit on 26-2-2015 by Soloprotocol because: (no reason given)

edit on 26-2-2015 by Soloprotocol because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 04:06 AM
link   
a reply to: Soloprotocol

Please try not to feel dumb. That was a Woolly MAMMOTH. This is a Woolly RHINO. Simple mistake.

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 04:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04

Please try not to feel dumb. That was a Woolly MAMMOTH. This is a Woolly RHINO. Simple mistake.

lol...ooops

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 11:23 AM
link   
Please don't bring them back Jurassic Park style, because the poachers will only want the horns, as a super dooper Chinese erectile dysfunction remedy.

Cool news though.

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 10:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: Soloprotocol

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04

lol...ooops

I got Woolly Mammoth in my head too and it took me a moment to realize it was Rhino as well.

posted on Mar, 3 2015 @ 08:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: Soloprotocol
They found one in 2006 so not the first. and it was in better condition than that bag of rags.

Awesome! This one is the more preserved one. If they want to clone a surrogate elephant or a rhino with ice age genes these two specimens would obviously be what they would use.
edit on 3-3-2015 by Asynchrony because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join