It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lawsuit claims Purina brand is killing dogs

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 25 2015 @ 01:34 PM
link   

(NEWSER) – A class-action lawsuit claims that the popular Beneful brand of dog food from Nestle Purina is killing dogs, reports the Top Class Actions blog. Plaintiff Frank Lucido alleges that one of his three dogs died and two others became seriously ill because of the dry "kibble" food, which the lawsuit blames on unsafe levels of propylene glycol and mycotoxins; the Daily Beast explains the latter are essentially a "toxic byproduct of mold." The former is an FDA-approved additive that also happens to be a chemical used in antifreeze, though it's a stand-in for the more toxic ethylene glycol. WLWT reports propylene glycol is barred from cat food per the FDA, but a vet tells KTUL it hasn't been proven as dangerous for dogs. One of Lucido's attorneys says the suit has become a class-action one because of similar complaints that have been piling up over the years.

[Source]

I think the food's from China. Will check later when not on phone.
edit on 2/25/2015 by ~Lucidity because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 25 2015 @ 01:40 PM
link   
How do they know it's not just a food allergy?

Basically, I could say that Blue Buffalo caused bladder infection in my cat based on this and have a case.

posted on Feb, 25 2015 @ 01:43 PM
link   
Some of the pet food makers really are idiots. I get it. Some people just don't care what they are feeding their pets, and just want cheap.

But with all the questioning, deaths, health problems that have been around for the last several years, you would think that they would listen, and at least make sure the pet food is safe.

And sorry, but the purina company is one of the biggest offenders.
And whoever makes that god awful o'l roy crap.

posted on Feb, 25 2015 @ 01:43 PM
link   
www.dogfoodadvisor.com...

I looked up Beneful on this pet food review site, it shows some other poor ingredients as well.

posted on Feb, 25 2015 @ 01:49 PM
link   
Wow! Thank you for the info. I dont use this brand but i know people that do. Thanks again.a reply to: ~Lucidity

posted on Feb, 25 2015 @ 01:50 PM
link   
I saw one video on someone else's screen...I think on NBC somewhere where the people had given them one treat (it's treats too) and he got immediately ill.

It could be allergies, but given some past issues, it's probably more than that. It's probably something their natural defenses don't know to warn them about.

posted on Feb, 25 2015 @ 01:52 PM
link   
Yes, it's not good food, but that doesn't mean it's also actively killing the pets. There are a lot of things that article doesn't address aside from tossing out some stuff that's scary sounding. What are the standards for those ingredients in pet food, for example? It's not like just anyone can just throw some stuff in a bag and sell it as food for animals. There are regulations.

A brand that has been around as long as Purina has wouldn't have stayed in business as long as it has if it regularly made a habit of skirting the boundaries and actively risking trying to kill its customers.
edit on 25-2-2015 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 25 2015 @ 01:55 PM
link   
a reply to: chiefsmom

I just want to insert myself here, I do care what I feed my sweet Donner and Blitzen. I have been feeding them Beneful since they were weaned. It is not cheap. The availability of the really good dog food is pretty limited where I live. Also, the more expensive food still gets in trouble from time to time. I think Iams was in hot water a couple years ago.

No matter what I feed them, dry food wise, they still get one can of wet food a day.

I mean hell, there is no way I could stay healthy if I lived off dry cereal alone.

Most people care deeply about their pets, I'm not sure what I'm going to feed my boys now, but I know I won't let them starve.

Boba

posted on Feb, 25 2015 @ 02:04 PM
link   
I am reminded of the melamine contamination.

Everyone wanted to blame the food manufacturers for testing for it, but my husband who is a bit familiar with both melamine and China said that was stupid. No one in their right mind ought to think it appropriate to get melamine anywhere near food for consumption, and only in China would they consider it appropriate to load a container that had once held melamine right up with grain with no complete cleaning and decon.

And of course, why would the manufacturers think to test for melamine? No one in their right mind would get it anywhere near something to be eaten ...

It was a perfect chain of events that led to tragic consequences. There could be something like that at work here.

posted on Feb, 25 2015 @ 02:09 PM
link   
a reply to: Bobaganoosh

My dogs get this: Nutro

Their vet recommended it (doesn't sell it) when they were pups and it's never made them sick. For treats we go all natural too. Not much more expensive. Never any issues. But eventually there will be something wrong with that too, even the natural claims.

The only way to make sure they get good stuff is to make it yourself, I guess. But we don't have time to make our own food a lot of days, so....

There are some interesting studies about how dogs could live over two decades with the right diets.

posted on Feb, 25 2015 @ 02:09 PM
link   
They're also killing humans via heart disease... Purina owns Jack in the Box.

posted on Feb, 25 2015 @ 02:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bobaganoosh
a reply to: chiefsmom

My dogs all lived to ripe old ages on Beneful and before that the cheapest the supermarket had to offer. I would like to see real statistics based on how many dogs actually eat these brands and how many have problems ... something scientific like

Anyhow, just got a lovely rescued pit, bought him fancy (expensive) dog food and it gave him the runs. Tried another good brand and same thing. Guess what, Beneful cured it. So. I hate to purchase from wicked corporations but I'm back to square one.

I agree with the person earlier who said that businesses don't last such a long time if they kill off their customers. they do cut corners with quality, which I find immoral, but that's land of the free market.

edit on 25-2-2015 by igloo because: weirdness

edit on 25-2-2015 by igloo because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 25 2015 @ 02:27 PM
link   
Sorry Boba,

My post ended up in joining yours!?!
edit on 25-2-2015 by igloo because: sorta fixed

posted on Feb, 25 2015 @ 02:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Bobaganoosh

I understand.
Heck, I'm not well off. I can't afford to feed my dog's blue buffalo, or do the home made thing. But I did some research, and there is a lot of information out there. (although if you really dig, you will find the regulations are very...loosely translated)

I feed my dogs 4 health. It's not perfect, but decent, and they have done well on it. I'm lucky enough to be able to supplement raw eggs and chicken too, just because I raise them. (chickens) They also get veggies from the garden, in the summer, (although I have cautioned that to others, due to creating a garden thief!)

No dog food company is perfect. Do I think some ingredients could kill a dog? Yep. Should they be more diligent about what they are using? Yep. And most certainly with dog food that doesn't get made in the US.

And I just threw the "don't care" comment in, because I actually know people like that, they really think it doesn't matter. "It's all the same, except the price"

edit on 25-2-2015 by chiefsmom because: clarify

posted on Feb, 25 2015 @ 02:41 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko
Food allergies are caused from the food you eat and heavy metals. If there is not enough good bacteria compared to bad bacteria in the food, allergies will arise.
Gut bacteria that protect against food allergies identified

Probiotics May Help Prevent Peanut Allergies, Animal Study Shows

allergies can cause bladder infections also]
edit on 25-2-2015 by gmoneystunt because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 25 2015 @ 02:48 PM
link   
Don't give your dog a food that you wouldn't eat.

My dog's diet is simple. Chicken breast, carrot, celery, sweet potato and rice. All boiled.

posted on Feb, 25 2015 @ 02:50 PM
link   
a reply to: ~Lucidity

That's a good food. I used to feed it to my dogs, then suddenly I couldn't find it anywhere. Now I feed them Acana. It's higher priced, but also high in calories so they don't need as much. I supplement with carrots, eggs, and sardines for snacks.

When it was found that the food Iingredients coming from China were poisoned, I started researching.
There were a lot of people on pet forums saying that Beneful was making their dogs malnourished and sick.

posted on Feb, 25 2015 @ 03:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Trueman

Ours gets about the same...chicken (organic, no hormones or anti-biotics), rice, carrots...about five days a week for one meal. He also loves smoothies :p

ETA: Okay...here is a consumer complaint site about Beneful. Link

This was said to be a rumor, but a lawsuit is not a rumor. Guess we'll see what happens.

Their site says the products are made in the U.S.

Beneful® dog foods are produced in company-owned facilities in the United States in cities such as Flagstaff, Ariz., Fairburn, Ga., and Davenport, Iowa. We have on-site quality assurance laboratories and staff in each of our U.S. manufacturing facilities to monitor our comprehensive food safety program and ensure product quality and safety. Link

Guess I was wrong, but I swear they said China on one report. Maybe this was what I remembered: "Their animals were harmed after consuming jerky treats that were made in China."

Heres's a site that rates pet foods; Link
edit on 2/25/2015 by ~Lucidity because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 25 2015 @ 03:27 PM
link   
If these evil corporate bastards are killing dogs what do you think they've got in store for you?

posted on Feb, 25 2015 @ 03:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: myartisstrong
They're also killing humans via heart disease... Purina owns Jack in the Box.

Lovely.

And those of us who want our pets to eat healthy now may have pet orthorexia nervosa.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join