It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ISIS burns 8,000 Rare Books and Manuscripts in Mosul

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 24 2015 @ 02:56 PM
link   
a reply to: lostbook

ISIS wants an army of ignorant, hate filled youth, just like the NAZIs. In order to accomplish that, first you must burn all traces of alternative historical accounts/accademia, and replace the lost knowledge with venomous propaganda. It really is the oldest trick in the book. A people with no history and culture are conquered.

posted on Feb, 24 2015 @ 02:56 PM
link   
Here are a couple old news clippings on it...sorry for OT post, but it pertains to the general topic methinks:

His stuff was also burned by the Nazi's.....odd huh? Anything to cover up something you don't want the public to educate themselves on right?
edit on 2/24/15 by Vasa Croe because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2015 @ 03:00 PM
link   
a reply to: whyamIhere

Sounds like they got a job at the library.

posted on Feb, 24 2015 @ 03:01 PM
link   
burning books is SO last year.

posted on Feb, 24 2015 @ 03:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

Why doesn't the world wake up and recognize the evil for what it is?

Because the people of the world have become apathetic toward anything that doesn't tangibly effect them. That's why the world won't stop Boko Haram. It's why the world won't stop ISIS.

posted on Feb, 24 2015 @ 03:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: onequestion

originally posted by: Vasa Croe
The US has burned plenty of books in the past. My guess would be that they did it because history is only for those that win and if you can burn everything about those before you then you can rewrite it in your own way.

Substantiate this claim please.

They did their best to destroy the writings of Wilhelm Reich.
Do a quick google.

posted on Feb, 24 2015 @ 03:09 PM
link   
I miss the days when I didn't have to wake up and see a new atrocity committed by these savages.

posted on Feb, 24 2015 @ 03:11 PM
link   
a reply to: BELIEVERpriest

They already have all that, that's why the ME is the way it is, look at other predominant Islamic countries not in the ME, you will find that not only are they not radical they are growing and their Islamic faith is not in collusion with modernization. Sometimes I ask myself why are we allies with Saudi Arabia and Pakistan etc when they do more to hurt they're youth then help their futures.

posted on Feb, 24 2015 @ 03:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Vasa Croe

edit on 24-2-2015 by JDmOKI because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2015 @ 03:28 PM
link   
Great, yet another sign that ISIS wants to drag us back into the dark ages.

This whole Isis vs the west thing is really starting to take on the same dark undertones as the fall of the once mighty Roman empire.

posted on Feb, 24 2015 @ 03:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: JDmOKI

Did you read the rest of this thread at all? I provided sources and newspaper clippings on it...

LOL...you edited your post so you wouldn't look bad or something? What happened to your question you had up asking for a source?

posted on Feb, 24 2015 @ 03:35 PM
link   

Yes, you did find a source of an incident where the federal government has overreached its authority. I guess since thE FDA did it 60 years ago its ok for ISIS to do it now. I'm from the USA so I think we should raid mexico city, behead some people, get some sex slaves and burn some books. I mean we did it to some ex marxist 60 years ago during the cold war

posted on Feb, 24 2015 @ 03:40 PM
link   

Yes, you did find a source of an incident where the federal government has overreached its authority. I guess since thE FDA did it 60 years ago its ok for ISIS to do it now. I'm from the USA so I think we should raid mexico city, behead some people, get some sex slaves and burn some books. I mean we did it to some ex marxist 60 years ago during the cold war

No...I never said any of that. I simply said the US government did it and provided a source as asked for. No need to get all upset because I did so.

Not only that, but book burnings in general are done to hide something a government doesn't want seen. What is the point of your comment? It was bad when the Nazi's did it and when ISIS does it, but it's ok if the US did?

posted on Feb, 24 2015 @ 03:43 PM
link   
It worked for Christianity. Would there be so many Christians in the world, if the Catholic's wouldnt have killed everyone who disagreed or if they had not burned all other Holy Books?

posted on Feb, 24 2015 @ 03:49 PM
link   
a reply to: misskat1

Why do you think Christianity is the only religion that would hindered someone else's religion? You think atheists wouldn't burn books if they were the majority?

posted on Feb, 24 2015 @ 03:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: misskat1
It worked for Christianity. Would there be so many Christians in the world, if the Catholic's wouldnt have killed everyone who disagreed or if they had not burned all other Holy Books?

*yawn* Because clearly the Catholics were so good at it that they managed to wipe out Islam ... oops!

posted on Feb, 24 2015 @ 03:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: markosity1973
Great, yet another sign that ISIS wants to drag us back into the dark ages.

This whole Isis vs the west thing is really starting to take on the same dark undertones as the fall of the once mighty Roman empire.

Hm.m.m.m...Interesting parallel. However, as I remember the Romans were fighting Wars/ battles on several fronts during their decline; the Goths, the Barbarians, and others and they got hit with some serious plagues which hurt the populous. We do have the greed/infighting amoung our political leaders as did the Romans during their fall, and we have spread our influence almost too thin as did the Romans. The Roman food supply got dealt a serious blow also, as I remember; and here in the States we're about to have a food supply shortage so there are some similarities.

The Fall of the Western Roman Empire (commonly known as Fall of the Roman Empire or Fall of Rome) was the period of decline in the Western Roman Empire in which it disintegrated and split into numerous successor states. By 476 CE, when Odoacer deposed the Emperor Romulus, the Western Roman Empire wielded negligible military, political, or financial power and had no effective control over the scattered Western domains that could still be described as Roman. Invading "barbarians" had established their own polities on most of the area of the Western Empire. While its legitimacy lasted for centuries longer and its cultural influence remains today, the Western Empire never had the strength to rise again.

posted on Feb, 24 2015 @ 03:51 PM
link   

Don't forget the bread (welfare) and circuses (entertainment industry).

posted on Feb, 24 2015 @ 03:52 PM
link   

a reply to: misskat1

Why do you think Christianity is the only religion that would hindered someone else's religion? You think atheists wouldn't burn books if they were the majority?

Religion is oppressive in general, of just about everything. I think atheism actually has it right, and if all religion was banished the world would be a much happier place. As it is, religion is the sole cause for most of the conquering nations in history to have killed for. But all the big ones claim they are peaceful....silly.

posted on Feb, 24 2015 @ 03:56 PM
link   
a reply to: JDmOKI

I didnt say Christianity was the only book burner, murders for religion. Im just really mad at Christianity right now, because I had to come to terms with their Pagan Roots, and being brain washed as a child, my whole life has been effected by the lie. Now, that Im sorting out the other "Religions" I realize they are a pack of lies too. Man controlling man.

Ketusko, maybe they didnt go far enough???

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join