It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Four New Massive Holes Found In Siberia, Researchers Estimate There May Be Dozens

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 24 2015 @ 07:30 PM
link   
That's really odd that these things are only a new phenomena. They'll figure it out soon enough. The current theories are likely the correct ones.

posted on Feb, 25 2015 @ 05:45 AM
link   
I found an intresting article by Vasily Bogoyavlensky about the costs of resources extraction vs the cots of reserves extraction
sputniknews.com

Maybe the costs of building structures in certain area can raise if includes the danger these events could do to an extraction facility.

And this article is intresting aswell from a conspiracy pov
The sanctions may prevent Russia to exploit Arctic resources in the ocean and the holes would do it for the land. How convenient!

posted on Feb, 25 2015 @ 01:43 PM
link   
a reply to: theantediluvian

I thought this post I made over in this thread www.abovetopsecret.com... was relevant to these blow holes in Siberia. Puts it into perspective on what could or may happen in the future when you consider what separates gigatons of methane and our atmosphere.

According to Arctic climate scientist Natalia Shakhova, there are currently 5 gigatons of methane in the atmosphere today and that there are literally hundreds, if not thousands, of gigatons of methane in the East Siberian Arctic Shelf. A shallow water column and weakening permafrost is all that separates this vast amount of methane from entering our atmosphere. She said that the permafrost is losing its ability to act as a seal, and if that’s not enough, the area is seismically and tectonically active and that activity is surging.

posted on Feb, 25 2015 @ 06:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Rezlooper

Because all that methane just trapped itself under the ice right ??

Why not just go and frack the whole area and get it over with then.

posted on Feb, 25 2015 @ 06:53 PM
link   
If these are from methane the amounts needed to cause these holes would cause more global warming then CO2.

I know they track CO2 levels around the world.

But do they track methane levels around the world to see if its methane or CO2 that is really causing global warming.

Methane is 84 times more potent greenhouse gas than carbon dioxide. that means that it takes 85% LESS methane TO CAUSE THE SAME WARMING then CO2

posted on Feb, 25 2015 @ 07:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: ParasuvO

Because all that methane just trapped itself under the ice right ??

That's what some governments are already working on but it's not that simple. It's massive projects. Japan is furthest along.

Methane hydrate extraction in the Sea of Japan

But, I just hope that they don't screw up and accidentally release a major amount setting off the Clathrate Gun Hypothesis

I'm not against tapping into the gas that's already trapped under ice, but I'm not for fracking, drilling miles deep into the earth is not a good idea and besides, with fracking they're losing a lot of fugitive gas in the extraction process, leaving abandoned wells to leak methane, not to count the earthquakes this is causing and the contamination of water tables.

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 04:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: ParasuvO

What a fracking good idea!

If it is methane, that's a pretty scary thought! Would not want to be to close to one when it went that's for sure.

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 05:06 PM
link   
Methane expulsions. The atmosphere will be severely impacted by this. We can only hope a solar flare hits and finishes this rat race because methane will be worse.

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 05:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: jtiest
Methane expulsions. The atmosphere will be severely impacted by this. We can only hope a solar flare hits and finishes this rat race because methane will be worse.

[how many more random comments do I have to post before I can initiate a thread?]

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join