It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fox does it again..women should not ruin the oscars by asking for equal rights.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 04:12 PM
link   
Women Have No Right To Ruin Oscars By Demanding Equal Pay, Whines Sour Grapes Fox Guest (VIDEO)

But really, what’s the point of being famous and having a soap box if you can’t use it? If Patricia Arquette can’t bring up the issue of wage equality when the world is watching her, when can she? And when can we? Well, that’s the whole point. Conservatives like the folks on Fox want us to STFU. They don’t want people talking about paying women — or anyone else — fairly for the work they do. Fox’s owners and sponsors want us to shut up and go away, and they’ll do their dangdest to make sure that no one can hear us scream.

Thanks to the Sony email hacks, we now know that the gender gap in pay exists as much in the entertainment industry as everywhere else. And, as Think Progress points out: Today, women still earn an average of 78 cents on the dollar — up just 17 cents since the Equal Pay Act. The picture is even worse for women of color. African-American women, for example, make just 64 cents for every dollar a white man makes.

Now tell me the right is for equality for all..

edit on 23-2-2015 by Onslaught2996 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 04:15 PM
link   

A little more from them. Concerning race..etc
edit on 23-2-2015 by Onslaught2996 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 04:15 PM
link   
Why not use a speech as a soapbox?

Good for her and good for the guy from the Imitation game.

And Honestly, let's keep in mind that the Oscars is the most boring awards show in existence...so...this stuff is good. And screw Joan Rivers and her supporters that are crying she wasn't on the death list. Is she more important than Taylor Negron? I think not!

edit on 23-2-2015 by amazing because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 04:18 PM
link   
a reply to: Onslaught2996

Don't worry Sean Penn sparked enough controversy to ruin for most.

news.yahoo.com...
edit on -06:00Mon, 23 Feb 2015 16:18:46 -060018v18MondayAmerica/Chicago4America/Chicago23 by PrivilegedPeasant because: bad link

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 04:21 PM
link   
Where is this unequal pay? Plenty of woman who work at my place of business make more than I do. I always read "woman should make money equally" but where are these places?

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 04:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: InfinityandBeyond
Where is this unequal pay? Plenty of woman who work at my place of business make more than I do. I always read "woman should make money equally" but where are these places?

It's all over really. My wife makes less than the other "men" in her department. A lot less for equal work and equal experience.

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 04:24 PM
link   
The argument isnt if women should have equal rights, of course they should. it's if the theoscars is an appropriate platform to bring it up.

Once again I am astonished of how seriously you PC freaks take yourselves. All types of events are ruined by people using their platform making political statements.

Anyone swayed or feels empowered by what a little celebrity says is weak anyways.

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 04:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: InfinityandBeyond

The Simple Truth about the Gender Pay Gap (Spring 2015)

AAUW’s The Simple Truth about the Gender Pay Gap succinctly addresses these issues by going beyond the widely reported 78 percent statistic. The report explains the pay gap in the United States; how it affects women of all ages, races, and education levels; and what you can do to close it.

But hey you know a few women who are payed more..so it must not exist..

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 04:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: f4rwest
The argument isnt if women should have equal rights, of course they should. it's if the theoscars is an appropriate platform to bring it up.

Once again I am astonished of how seriously you PC freaks take yourselves. All types of events are ruined by people using their platform making political statements.

Anyone swayed or feels empowered by what a little celebrity says is weak anyways.

You have one of the most watched television show reaching millions, so yeah I think it was time for it...when would the appropriate time be for you...late at nite on an infomercial?

Make sure no one hears it..I guess for you.

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 04:28 PM
link   

Also PC is a term the right likes to use when someone uses common sense.

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 04:28 PM
link   

But is this event ruined if there are a few honest statements by people telling you how they really feel?

I think not. Plenty of glitz and glam. A celebrity has an obligation to use their platform to speak their truth. When i speak.. dozen's hear it. When Patricia speaks at the Oscars? Millions upon millions.

The outcome. You're offended but not by much.. it's 30 seconds out of your life. No big deal but..we're all talking about wage equality now. I'd say it was a big win for her. I don't see the downside. Nothing was ruined.

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 04:30 PM
link   
I wonder what could be done about income inequality if actors and actresses weren't paid in the millions?

Beware of what you preach, lest your own words kick your soap box out from under your feet.

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 04:31 PM
link   
While I personally believe the Oscars should be a celebration of filmmaking and all it's intricacies and should leave politics at the door, I know that Hollywood and Politics are inseparable.

I applaud her for taking a stand for women's rights, and I think she's really brave for using the Oscars to do it. But in the same breath, I also think "Maybe save your politicizing for the pundit desk".

I'm torn.

But then again, I AM purple in politics.

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 04:31 PM
link   
there's a stat somewhere stating that unmarried women make more than unmarried men - further bolstering the theory that life choices and consequences factor in to payscale.

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 04:34 PM
link   

there's a stat somewhere stating that unmarried women make more than unmarried men - further bolstering the theory that life choices and consequences factor in to payscale.

It's not always about life choices. My wife makes less than the guys in her department. same expertise, skill and experience.

Plenty of stats that show that men do make more than women pretty much across the board. It's just true.

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 04:37 PM
link   
a reply to: f4rwest

Fact check: Do young, childless women earn more than men?

The verdict
Research shows that for young women, both in the United States and Australia, the gender wage gap still exists.

One study based on data collected six years ago shows that the median salary for young, unmarried, childless women in big US cities was higher than the median salary for the same group of men.

But this did not apply outside big metropolitan centres, or for women in part-time work.

Broader, more recent research from Pew Research Centre shows that US women aged between 25 and 34 earn 93 per cent of the wage of their male counterparts.

Ms Hymowitz said that in the US women in their twenties who are childless are earning more than men.

She did not specify that this only applied to unmarried women in full-time work in big metropolitan centres or how old the research was.

Ms Hymowitz is cherrypicking.

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 04:42 PM
link   
a reply to: amazing

I have also worked in places where women have made less than us for working just as hard.

I was a union rep and spoke out about it....you know what they did..they increased their wages to ours at the time...but we also got a pay wage...so basically the problem still was there.

I quit because was tired of watching these women work just as hard but make less, plus tired of watching race play a factor of who was promoted..ie..guy worked there for years..hard worker..rarely missed..white guy works there for three weeks..gets promoted over him...it was ridiculous because the guy was asking the other guy what he should do certain situations..

Plus I was labeled a trouble maker...got tired of being put in a room with three supervisors in an attempt to intimidate me..they would bring me in for stupid little issues..saying I said this or that..and shouldn't because it was lowering moral...idiots.

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 04:51 PM
link   
It was reported on the tv over here (Australia) , the other day about a famous actor sending an American Indian to collect the actors award as the actor did not like the way American Indians were portrayed in movies .

Same .

1%

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 04:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Onslaught2996

The American cultural norm of keeping provocative political controversy and entertainment fire-walled from each other is an interesting thing. Everything has a reason though.

Entertainment causes your brain to acquiesce into a receiving mode. A.K.A. suspending disbelief for a time while the story is essentially downloaded into your brain. It is most certainly a coveted communication channel for the state to get its preferred message across.

Whether you like it or not, immersive video imprints your mind with memories that are stored similarly to real memories. These memories can evoke emotion and with time and contextual support, become indistinguishable from "actual" memories.

The Oscars are a celebration of the creators of false reality. Certain parties like to control this process or at least protect it. The authoritarians and the wannabes like Fux News, want to keep that powerful communication channel unfettered with reality. It's disruptive to the programming process. A form of self censorship.

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 04:57 PM
link   

it's if the the oscars is an appropriate platform to bring it up.

Are you saying it's politically incorrect to talk about that subject at an awards ceremony?

I wonder how the FOX Newsies would have felt if the subject had been different... I wonder about the reaction if it had been... say... promoting the 2nd Amendment. Would you still be suggesting it's inappropriate"?

I think the political right was just pissed off because American Sniper wasn't that great of a movie. Yeah, it made a lot of money, but that's because of the emotional content. Doesn't mean the movie was well-done.

Sour Grapes, indeed!

I'll never forget the day I discovered that my colleagues were making considerably more than me because they had penises and I don't.

edit on 2/23/2015 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join