It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

4 of Europe's 5 tallest buildings are Half Empty...and they are all in one city!

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 11:02 AM
link   
4 of Europe's 5 tallest buildings are Half Empty....and they are all in one city! Would you laugh if I told you they are still building more and more at the same site?

Guess where they are! It's not an easy game as the Global economy slows with some EU nations facing the dreaded Deflation monster that the 1% absolutely hate.

Berlin? Sorry, Germany is doing ok and they don't have the tallest buildings.

London? Well the Shard in London is the second tallest in Europe but alas no, they are doing ok as well.

You're going to have to look much farther East for the answer!

Moscow!

You might be surprised to hear that Moscow has 4 of the 5 tallest buildings in Europe, but it's new development at Moskva City complex is big and tall!

That is one heck of a beautiful and massive development! Too bad it is half empty! What happened?

www.businessinsider.com...

Well you start with the deep rooted Russian mentality that bigger is better, add in barrel fulls of Oil money and top it off with a autocrats desire to become the financial capital of the World. Voila! The largest buildings in Europe! Suddenly you take away the barrel fulls of Oil money combined with a world that doesn't like your annexing neighbors territory and you end up with 1/2 full buildings.

12 Billion dollars so far and they aren't finished! 6 more large buildings will be finished this year, two more in 2016. At some point sane business people stop throwing money at projects, however when it's not coming from your back pocket and it's citizens money the tolerance level for failure seems much higher.

www.nytimes.com...

Russians have a long and storied history with massive building projects. Even a summary would be too long to start. Suffice it to say if the leader thinks something is a good idea then it gets built. Bigger than anywhere else of course!

Things aren't all a disaster however! London's Cannary Wharf looked to be a massive failure at first. The projects sheer size required more patience for the space to fill up. Now it's a vibrant part of London. Possibly Moskva City will recover and be a huge success. But it could also be yet another failed Russian project, the Olympic Games at Sochi.

www.realtytoday.com...

Yet another chapter in the story of Russia no matter what the ending is....

edit on 23-2-2015 by noeltrotsky because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 11:06 AM
link   
So who can afford to live there outside of putnin's friends?Hard to believe he has that many.
edit on CSTMonam11161 by TDawg61 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 11:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: TDawg61
So who can afford to live there outside of putnin's friends?Hard to believe he has that many.

It's pretty much all businesses from my understanding. It was supposed to be financial businesses, but now it's anyone and everyone who wants space.

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 11:15 AM
link   
a reply to: noeltrotsky
here in the uk we have a similar problem but not with the high rise buildings , ours is more with industrial parks with some of the buildings still not occupied after 15 years .

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 11:16 AM
link   

edit on CSTMonam11161 by TDawg61 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 11:19 AM
link   
Obviously Russian financial companies aren't doing very well with their economy collapsing.

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 11:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: noeltrotsky

Berlin? Sorry, Germany is doing ok and they don't have the tallest buildings.

No, Germany isn't doing well ... it is losing it's industry as we speak.

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 11:26 AM
link   
Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't Russia in Asia, hence Moscow would also be in Asia? Maybe I'm missing something or just fell out of a tree and bonked my head.

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 11:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheSpanishArcher
Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't Russia in Asia, hence Moscow would also be in Asia? Maybe I'm missing something or just fell out of a tree and bonked my head.

I think if your West of Siberia then you're in Eastern Europe...once you hit Siberia and go East then you're in Asia. That's just my recollection of it however.

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 11:39 AM
link   
I thinks it's basically divided by the Ural Mountains, with the east of that being Asia, and west of that being Europe. Most of the population lives in European Russia, and Moscow is there as well.

a reply to: TheSpanishArcher

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 11:44 AM
link   
a reply to: TheSpanishArcher

As above

Russia lies on both Europe and Asia. Though the largest part of the country is in Asia (Siberia), most Russians live on the European side.

edit on 09/02/2012 by KaelemJames because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 11:51 AM
link   
So we have now Russia, US and EU (Germany) doing badly economically...and I though the crisis was over?

This European Nation's Poverty Rate Just Hit A Record High (Spoiler Alert: Not Greece)

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 11:54 AM
link   
a reply to: BornAgainAlien

Completely unrelated to the OP, but I understand your desire to make other countries look bad.

link   
I fully admit to knowing beans about how commerce in Russia or any other communist country would work. But how would an entrepreneur make a business, and what hopes would he have of increasing his wealth?

If I could get the TLDR version of this, it would be great.

link   
Right then. Learn something new everyday, eh? I guess I should have known that one but it somehow escaped me.

Thanks guys.

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 12:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: noeltrotsky
a reply to: BornAgainAlien

Completely unrelated to the OP, but I understand your desire to make other countries look bad.

It isn`t unrelated, because Germany go hit hard by the sanctions.

It was only to point out that this crap goes on everywhere and that I understood your desire to needing to make another thread on making Russia look bad.

Here you go

...and bla bla bla

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 12:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: tom.farnhill
here in the uk we have a similar problem but not with the high rise buildings , ours is more with industrial parks with some of the buildings still not occupied after 15 years .

We had the same problems in the UK with retail space too. The issue was that companies starting all these retail projects thinking the global brands would want to keep expanding, and then the crunch hit. Not only did they have trouble finishing their projects, once they were finished there were no brands waiting to buy yet another space for a market no longer profiting like it was.

Russia has it worse though. Obviously this was something of a bubble already (the same as China has been doing building entire cities for no one to actually live in) but now with sanctions and the drop in oil they're going to find it even harder to make use of this space.

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 12:10 PM
link   

Don't worry about Russia with all this propaganda being pushed by both sides hopefully it will pay off and the cold war 2.0 will commence.

To be honest I used to be against them using tactics like this but at the end of the day a cold war is better than a real war. And if the military industrial complex fails so does our economy. I do wish the US complex would start thinking about branching out of weapons and find news ways to make money. So war is not the only option and we have wiggle room for downturns in the enemies department.

All that being said whoever thought about firing up the cold war again is pretty darn smart.

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 12:21 PM
link   
Pyongyang II ?
Well im not surprised that business in Russia is going badly. After Sanctions Russia made sanctions too, plus they also attacked the businesses who applied to their demands, striked their offices and made insane claims which had nothing to backup.. just to play mean.
Times has not changed much in their minds. During the the of CCCP imported foodstuff to them had to exceed more than common criteria of transportation. So Trucks from other countries were well equipped for cold products like meat etc... when they unloaded their trucks in Russia cold line stopped and common horsewagons from Russia loaded the goods and delivered to grocery stores which put their meats in warm place to show they have meat.. windows etc..

Im sorry but the system is still bad for any who wants to do business with them.
edit on 23-2-2015 by dollukka because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 12:43 PM
link   
It happens.

They say the Twin Towers were largely empty too.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join