It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A city that pays criminals to behave

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 06:33 PM
link   
a reply to: Jana12

I just don't think everyone having a hard time is a criminal.

if it helps even a small percentage its better than nothing. We also have to look at it from an economic perspective too.. there just isnt living wage jobs out there in a lot of these communities for these people to get to get themselves on their feet to begin with.

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 09:34 PM
link   
a reply to: onequestion

I'm all for helping to get people who are down and out get back their feet -- it's called temporary assistance, subsidized housing, welfare and/or food stamps. But paying criminals not to be criminals is a 'Hope-based plan'... and hope is not a strategy. In theory it sounds great, but, it's a bit too idealistic for realistic me.

I'm all for a program that pays young people with a moral code who have taken a wrong turn and who need some guidance and direction to stay out of trouble and get back on track, even if it comes out of my tax dollars. But the majority of people who commit crimes (not all but most) have no moral compass, no conscience and no empathy, and nothing can change that reality.

The difference between a person without a moral code (a criminal) versus a person with a moral code who has gotten off track is VAST -- two completely different people with two completely different mentalities/mindsets. One can change for the better with the proper guidance and support while the other will never change.

Paying actual criminals not to be criminals won't work in the long run because of how the criminal mind works.

A criminal without a moral compass has no ability to change or to be rehabilitated. The only thing that changes is their game, their techniques and their tactics. No one has some special skill or talent to change the brain of a criminal -- aka a sociopath. The sociopath has no moral compass, no conscience and no empathy. There are no effective treatments or cures for sociopathy. Paying a sociopath/criminal to stay out of trouble is not a solution.

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 09:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Jana12

Nah, I'm sorry i just dont think everyone whos having a hard time is a bad person.

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 10:33 PM
link   

what kind of crap is this if this is true thats crazy just more leftist crap from people who dont know better

i would like for some of the bleeding hearts to go to the city and live with these people as one of them not as someone brining them charity ...............anyone can put on a good face to get free stuff.

Heres the cities problems......drugs like crack and herion coke ect... you think these people are homeless they dont make 12 to 15 an hr.

No they are homeless because of drugs ............and then there are the mental disabled ........and worse yet are the veterans and i dont mean veitnam vets anymore that was the 80 now its desert war vets that are my age or younger
and even in those cases not all but most the mental disturbed and vets turn to drugs .Now as for the others in the city
that are homweless or living in unstable means heres some of the reasons ......1 the parents most had no dads growing up or worse yet no moms they were raised by grandmas.
Morals our countrys youth inner city youth especially morals are in the toilet listen to the music they listen to one song my favorite was ...........KILL A MOTHER FU@# KILL A MOTHER FU@# WHAT .........
Is it any surprise people who chose to live by the songs they hear have problems in life .

And EDUCATION........ill say it again education they dont have it .......and not because it wasnt offered they dropped out
you can get programs so easy for school in the city especially if you are a minority

So since ive been good never been to prison ive been to jail for 33 days but not prison and im not a thief or a rapist or whatever my tax money should go to those who are thiefs rapist ect... just so that they will be good lol hell no

And then thats telling the criminals who dont show much morals that this is a reward for being bad .
like welfare is a reward for people who dont wanna work.
now i know not all people on welfare are like that but buddy i live in cincinnatti you do not wanna know what i see alot

Ill tell you onoe though .......2nd of the month this lady i know food card kicks in and she runs right to her heroin
dealer and they go to kroger together he gets food at 50 % off she gets heroin but you know who dont get the food her kids
thanks liberals . Ive seen moms try to pimp there daughters moms sell their kids school supplies that the church gave them anyways for drugs

Believe me the problem with the cities and homeless isnt that they dont make but 12 to 15 an hr
Its a culture thing you got city people and country people always have always will

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 10:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Sremmos80

oh so i guess because these people commited crimes its my fault and i should pay for it
here instead of all this program crap they should just not commit the crimes.

No here instead we will pay you not to commit crimes lol that stupid whos gonna pay me not to commit crimes lol

in a perfect world huh lol

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 11:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sremmos80

Ya it is clearly obvious that it doesn't matter, criminals are sub class citizens to some.

I guess people don't care about crime dropping, they would rather stand on their soap box about things.

That's true. The problem to me is where is this money coming from? I would love to give everyone a leg up but realistically this can't work nationwide. The money will dry up because people will resort to crime to get that 1000 dollars a month.

Damned if you do and damned if you don't.

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 11:14 PM
link   
Out of curiosity what does it cost the taxpayer to imprison someone for a month?

The economics on this can be a real decider about the program.

Edit to add

According to this link the cost to keep an inmate imprisoned for one year in California is $47,102 and I am sure it costs a pretty penny to convict them as well so 1K a month is about 35K cheaper per year to the taxpayer and creates an opportunity for them to break the cycle where they become self-sufficient.

I am sure there will be some that would prefer a costly prison population over that but IMO they are being idiotic.
edit on 22-2-2015 by Grimpachi because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 12:21 AM
link   
a reply to: LOSTinAMERICA
a reply to: sweets777

It's going to come from tax payers, just like the cost of their incarceration is going to come from.
This isn't just commit a crime get 1k, feel free to read the OP and then get back to me.

And like I said, I would love for all of us to get a little help like this, people keep saying we just don't have the money for it.

But yet, the money never runs out for going to war.
/shrug

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 08:28 AM
link   
Taking it a step further, looking at the cost of incarceration made me think of the idea of a "wet house" for other addictions. A voluntary institution where addicts can check in, sign a release of responsibility and in exchange for living in a controlled environment they are supplied their drug(s) of choice. No need to steal or harm anyone else. Just walk up to a dispensary window and ask for a gallon of booze, smokes, or whatever.

Looking around the net I found that in certain countries a kilo of coc aine costs less than $1,000 to produce. I also came across a thread where someone was asking what other peoples consumption was, his in particular was up to 20 grams a day. From the responses in that thread, that seemed to be way over the top. So, taking that amount to be the max and and at that cost of production we are talking a bit over $7,000 a year.

Alcohol can be produced at about $1.50 a gallon and heroine is said to sell in Pakistan for $2,600 a kilo. Much like the 20 grams above, a gallon of alcohol a day and, I've seen, 2 grams of heroine a day to be about the upper limit. So, $550 and $1,900 a year, respectively, for those drugs.

Once you set aside the moral dilemma of assisting someone in a slow suicide, it makes mores sense than flat out prohibition.

edit on 23-2-2015 by daskakik because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join