It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sig m400p in .300 blackout, odd issue after only a few rounds..

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 21 2015 @ 10:22 PM
link   
Ok so I am posting this on behalf of a good friend of mine who just picked up the sig m400p AR pistol. (Yes sig brace
) you might ask why am I posting on his behalf... Well idk, ever helped a friend on a gun project and it doesn't work out perfectly after he's dumoed a fat wad of cash? Lol it stings a bit, we both still stand by the gun, it's awesome... Just some odd issues. Here she is -

Ok so this gun has a quirk or 2 right out of the gate and I'm unsure if that has anything to do with our issue or not. We also plan on trying to contact sig on Monday but being Saturday night I've turned to ATS for help.

heres the issues he's having. He took it home and fired it like 15 times and ended up with a couple small chips out of the inside of the upper where the bolt resides (bolt carrier?) here's the pics

Anyone seen anything like this? He said the brass has some but ole gouges in them too but he hasn't sent me a pic yet, il post it if he does. he said it fired flawlessly without any failures of any sort til he got home to clean it lol.

Any advice would be great, thanks in advance.

posted on Feb, 21 2015 @ 10:54 PM
link   
Did you do a search on this make and model getting recalls or having flaws? There may be a forum on that manufacturers website as well.

posted on Feb, 21 2015 @ 10:55 PM
link   
I have a friend that owns a sporting goods store and knows a lot about guns. If you don't mind, I'll message him and forward this thread to him. He might know something.

Edit to add: I sent the thread to him. He's currently offline. I'll let you know what he says when I hear from him. I really wouldn't shoot it any more. That doesn't look good.
edit on 21-2-2015 by Skid Mark because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2015 @ 11:11 PM
link   
Ya I've been googling like mad for the last few hours. This gun has some quirky piece that has to do with the bolt and helping the gun power through failures of some sort but that's the only issues I've found any one talking about.

Thanks skidmark I appreciate that. He's a vet with several tours to Afghanistan under his belt so I trust he won't use it anymore. I'm impressed be even noticed it lol. He's pretty worried about it, he said "something obviously has to be wrong, guns don't just take big ole chips outa themselves and send burs of metal into the action when they are working properly"

Any one have experience with this detent that pushes down in the extractor? I don't even know If it's in this general area of worry but that's the Only issue with these I've found and that even seems to be rare.

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 12:15 AM
link   
If there is any damage to the upper receiver, leave it alone until you contact Sig. I'm sure there are plenty of knowledgeable people out there with good advice, but monkeying with it might void the warranty. I would just sit tight until Monday. Best of luck, that is a nice weapon. I Love Sigs!
I forgot to ask. Did he lube the bolt carrier group at all before firing?
edit on 2/22/1515 by 1MrMarc because: question

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 12:32 AM
link   
a reply to: mindseye1609

You might want to look up metal porosity. This looks like the case. Do not fire that gun anymore this is poor craftsmanship and something Sig is kinda getting known for.

Many people argue with me when I tell them never buy certain makers.....Taurus,DCMP,Kelt-Tec and I have also heard about Sig short cutting to save costs.

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 12:37 AM
link   
a reply to: SubTruth
It sucks that now even the makers that were the best at one point have sacrificed craftsmanship for higher profits. I have older Sig 220's and 226's and they can't be beat.

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 01:03 AM
link   
a reply to: 1MrMarc

Agreed they used to make excellent guns. Bushmaster is another maker who has sold out. Old Bushmaster are some of the best guns in the world the new ones are crap.

Kel-Tec.....DCMP.....Bushmaster.....Taurus........Century Arms are all crap. Ya you save money but take a look at the pictures above and ask yourself is it worth it.

Makers you can trust.......KAC....Larue.....Noveske.....Glock....S&W MP........Ruger......Remington......BCM.
edit on 22-2-2015 by SubTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 01:03 AM
link   
Delete

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 02:51 AM
link   
IMO, Barnes Precision Machine - Patrolmans Carbine, is another fine AR platform that can be trusted.

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 04:37 AM
link   
I like my taurus PT845.. Hasn't let me down yet.

As far as that Sig.. Looks like metal failure, to me.

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 04:59 AM
link   
a reply to: 1MrMarc

but monkeying with it might void the warranty. I would just sit tight until Monday.

I have to agree with this. Sig is one of the best manufacturers IMO, but they still have their hits and misses.

If pieces of metal are starting to chip off of the upper after 15 rounds fired, I would set the gun down and not fire it again until it goes back to the factory.

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 05:16 AM
link   
Can you adjust the gas flow?

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 05:30 AM
link   
Has he checked the bolt carrier and extractor?
That looks like some kind of flaw in the machining of the parts that's nicking the metalwork as the parts move.

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 05:58 AM
link   
Was there any feed issues?

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 10:34 AM
link   
a reply to: sg1642

That's what we thought seeing how 2 of the gouges seemed to line up on the horizontal plane that the bolt travels on. We can't rule anything out at this point. He found 2 more spots on the outside that looks like big ole chips too so I'm thinking just a bad block of aluminum for starters..

The dented brass seems to be pretty common on high end AR's so that clue is null.

The sig m400 from my research is a pretty loved gun with few issues, but like a corvette, if it has issues... It's gonna take sig to fix it probably.

Luckily everything I've ready is pretty positive about sig and their warranty work. Now from the looks of it the gunshop we got this sucker from put a different barrel shroud on it, not sure how sigs gonna like that one.

We figure go right to sig on Monday and just skip hassling the shop today?

Also, there was no feed issues. Performed flawlessly.

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 10:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: mindseye1609
a reply to: sg1642

That's what we thought seeing how 2 of the gouges seemed to line up on the horizontal plane that the bolt travels on. We can't rule anything out at this point. He found 2 more spots on the outside that looks like big ole chips too so I'm thinking just a bad block of aluminum for starters..

The dented brass seems to be pretty common on high end AR's so that clue is null.

The sig m400 from my research is a pretty loved gun with few issues, but like a corvette, if it has issues... It's gonna take sig to fix it probably.

Luckily everything I've ready is pretty positive about sig and their warranty work. Now from the looks of it the gunshop we got this sucker from put a different barrel shroud on it, not sure how sigs gonna like that one.

We figure go right to sig on Monday and just skip hassling the shop today?

Also, there was no feed issues. Performed flawlessly.

I'd go straight to manufacturer mate. The dints in the outside are a sign of it being mishandled and bashed around but even then that points to crap quality metal being used. When you get a chance strip it down and give the bolt housing a good look over. If it is that causing the nicks you can bet there will be visible signs of wear or impact on there too. I was just wondering because feed or ejection issues would point to a problem with the bolt. Is he using magpul magazines?What kind of damage is on the brass? Is it scraped or crimped?

I'm British so I don't exactly get the chance to buy a lot of weapons (unfortunately
) but I'm guessing a Sig rifle is not cheap and you shouldn't have them kind of problems with a new weapon system. Do they have a webpage for customers? Maybe have a look see if there is one and if this is a common problem.

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 11:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: SubTruth

Old Bushmaster are some of the best guns in the world the new ones are crap.

The 'old' Bushmaster is back in business as Windham Weaponry. I purchased one of their .308s and it is as good as prior to them selling off the company.

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 12:54 PM
link   
My friend got back to me. This is what he said:

"It looks like to me bad metal and poor machining on behalf of the manufacture. Needs to be took back to dealer or sent back to Sig"

I hope that helps.

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 01:07 PM
link   
a reply to: mindseye1609

This could also be carrier tilt is this a piston style gun? They are known for carrier tilt issues. But from the pictures it also looks like it could be metal issues like porosity.

Take these pictures sign up at ar15.com and have the experts take a look. Everyone who is into guns hangs out there including the owners an execs of the companies......No kidding.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join