It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

McLaren P1 GTR...comes with its own crew and a $3.6 million dollar smile

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 21 2015 @ 07:14 AM
link   
from DESIGN BOOM.com
CAR and DRIVER

The McLaren P1 GTR smiles BIG for the camera

The GTR is a P1 transformed into a track weapon, a curious distinction given how insane the roadgoing P1 hypercar already is. No matter: McLaren’s Woking crew seems to have found a way to extract even more performance out of the P1, and they’re setting the result loose in a P1 GTR racing series, starting later this year. The buy-in for the GTR—which is available only to current P1 owners—sits at a cool $3.6 million (£1.98 million), which buys you not just the car but people, too! Now, before you cry, “human trafficking!” we should point out that the humans thrown into the bargain comprise a pit crew and a driver-training regimen, and those are merely available at your disposal.

The GTR utilizes a massaged version of the P1’s twin-turbocharged 3.8-liter V-8 and electric motor, thus enjoying an 83-hp advantage over its road-legal sibling. McLaren coaxes an extra 62 ponies from the V-8 and extracts another 20 horsepower from the electric motor, landing just shy of 1000 horsepower (986, to be precise). Pirelli slicks stretched over center-lock 19-inch wheels do their best to route the powertrain’s might to the pavement, and they’re aided by an impressive aerodynamics package.

The cockpit

Besides making the angry-catfish P1 look even angrier, the aero bits contribute up to a 10-percent improvement in downforce. The GTR’s rear wing’s height is fixed—it towers 3.9 inches higher above the rear deck than the normal P1’s height-adjustable piece when fully extended—but retains its Drag Reduction System functionality, in which actuators vary its pitch from 32 degrees to zero at the push of a button for a boost at higher speeds.

The suspension sits nearly two inches lower than stock, and the front track is 3.2 wider. McLaren also stripped 110 pounds from the P1’s body, mostly by chucking anything related to “public highway use.”

Top Gear dubbed it the "Widowmaker"...

The melding of Traditional petrol engines w/ Electric is the secret behind its BLAZING fast acceleration and handling.. Tech at its best!
Once again this is a car I will probably NEVER get a chance to even sit in let alone ride/drive in this...But dreams start somewhere...

edit on 2/21/2015 by DjembeJedi because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2015 @ 10:02 AM
link   
That is the most beautiful car I have ever seen.

posted on Feb, 21 2015 @ 10:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: Wide-Eyes
That is the most beautiful car I have ever seen.

IKR! Its soooo pretty and close the Top for me ..BUT I am IN LOVE with this Beauty also....

FORD GT 2017 Ford unveils...
I need a second ..no wait A 5th Job!

posted on Feb, 21 2015 @ 10:22 AM
link   
a reply to: DjembeJedi

this is the kind of car you don't just let anyone drive. same as you don't let toddlers play with loaded guns

posted on Feb, 21 2015 @ 10:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: Hijinx

this is the kind of car you don't just let anyone drive. same as you don't let toddlers play with loaded guns

Agreed! I would settle for a Ride in this ANY Day!

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 06:41 AM
link   
Yep. She is also a very sexy beast.

edit on 22-2-2015 by Wide-Eyes because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 06:45 AM
link   

On a side note, I can see these winning Le Mans 24hour this year.

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 03:15 PM
link   

On a side note, I can see these winning Le Mans 24hour this year.

On a side note to your side note, Fernando Alonso crashed his McLaren today and was airlifted to hospital.

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 08:09 PM
link   

Absolutely !!! I'd just be afraid to kill myself and everyone watching if i was the driver..... It's a totally different animal, but oh so #ing sexy and tempting.

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 10:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Psynic

Sad news that I wasn't aware of. Alonso doesn't have much luck. He got hit in the face by one of Barichello's springs a few years back... ouch

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 11:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: Hijinx

Absolutely !!! I'd just be afraid to kill myself and everyone watching if i was the driver..... It's a totally different animal, but oh so #ing sexy and tempting.

Rowan Atkinson, aka Mr. Bean, didn't do to well with his McLaren F1. Whodathunkit?

i.dailymail.co.uk...

edit on -06:0015152322015-02-22T23:32:15-06:00 by Psynic because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 12:09 AM
link   

He got hit in the face by one of Barichello's springs a few years back... ouch

That was Massa you're thinking of.

Latest news from McLaren has Alonso "uninjured/concussed", whatever that means.

posted on Feb, 24 2015 @ 12:43 AM
link   

He hit his head, may pass out but he's totally fine to drive a super car.

top topics

join