It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Philosophy to turn consumer culture around to REALLY benefit society.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 21 2015 @ 07:11 AM
link   
I nearly always hear people say, when someone talks about a better societal system than we have now; "well if you have a better one I'd like to hear it"... and no one has an answer and the discussion ends and the movement hits a wall. Well, here's my answer and it's pretty simple... and in many places it's underway... right under our noses, even many of the people in it... don't know that they are.

Thought arises out of experience formulated by concepts and language in which to reason, ponder, and share as well as do things. Some things we do not have to think about to do, these are autonomic... like blink, breathe and become hungry. This form we animate in order to maintain it's animation requires survival... we do not need others to live once we figure out self sufficiency in obtaining fresh water, a food source, and shelter from the elements... how simple our existence seems distilled down to those 3 basic needs... gathering them on a daily basis however without help is what seems to be the struggle, unless one is very resourceful.

Your body can drive you to eat, of course you don't have too, you can starve to death after a week even the sight of food is laborious so make it a week you'll have plenty of free will to curl up and die... if no one cares to notice and intervene, one can also give up the will to live and the body will start to shut down... depression over oneself is a mechanism meant for survival so one reaches out for help, the sympathy garnered can be addictive and become a habitual coping mechanism.

Works these days where it's not a matter of only the strong survive and the survival of the fittest, because we have been slowly evolving out of the animal realm, where sympathy out of compassion and empathy are starting to rule the day.

Many think this is a weakness... odd because the same people usually form groups to support each other in this belief... so the extremist ideal of sink or swim only applies when that person is able to carry their own weight, certainly happy to stick a hand out and remind others of all they did for them when they could though yes? Makes a lot of conservative ideology pretty funny in that respect... this is where the idea of earned it, and entitled to it come into the picture... you gotta pay to play. Well, in a society that requires pay to survive... it requires skill and education, so by all means keep cutting education and expect something to change for the better... but don't want to teach people to fish so they become self sufficient. So hey, lets try eugenics and other genocide ideas to kill certain groups off war is always a good one huh?

We have become co-dependent on each other, as a species with our packs turning into society. We've moved from craving the things that sustain our bodies, to craving things to entertain it as well, this turned into commerce and trade... hey fisher person I haz some pretty shells... women love em trade me for a fish or two? Separation of need to want is almost indistinguishable in society now.

This is making us co-dependent on the inanimate and if I may boldly say "the worthless mess that clutters our daily lives" over the people in it... when someone isn't thirsty, hungry, and has shelter... and get depressed, if it isn't out of loneliness, or a chemical imbalance from poor nutrition, lack of sleep, or being sedentary, it's over not having a hoard of clutter to distract oneself with or impress the other Homo sapiens with the made up idea of status, and that some essentially worthless object is given worth somehow gives a person more worth... if you don't have it to expend on wasteful materials you are seen as somehow of a lower standard... you've got a subcompact? Well, I've got a Bentley. Like that means something, if both are operational as per standard? Then all you do is press that long rectangle and both will get you to the place you need to go. So the function on the basic level is exactly the same, form is really moot unless you have to transport a lot of people or materials with it.

Those considered to be have not's, or trying to haves are really the driving force that keeps this perpetuating... you can't blame the 1% for the 99%'s buying practices now can you? True wealth is actually possessing this knowledge and not being driven by consumer culture, if your value and self worth is driven by what you possess, in another's eyes? Then of course you are going to feel worthless.

Ice-T just released a song, saying all he wants or needs is his Xbox... it's quite possible and likely he was paid to write that product endorsement by Microsoft so they outsell Sony's Play Station units. But, this clever "celebrity" marketing strategy, if it is one by paying someone to sell out their own voice, to endorse someone else's voice to sell a product to the masses... had an interesting side effect, while he may be selling Xbox'es he is also saying: I have a mansion, millions of dollars, and a trophy wife in my ideal form thanks to plastic surgery... yet all I want is an Xbox. Which can be had for under 400 dollars and played anywhere there is a TV and power to plug it in... if this is not an endorsement and he truly has a passion for this gaming device to that extent? Then he really doesn't require much to be happy or fulfilled in life to be happy does he?

Many people are running around spending all their excess income on the next in thing and keeping up with the Jones'es and trading one want for another over and over because of this consumer driven culture... and people wonder why few are happy? It's because they are constantly told, what they love is no longer cool and everyone wants to be cool and hip yeah? Status is a slave driver keeping people steadily at the machine. The opposite of this is focusing on what one's passions are regardless of what anyone else thinks... you know someone out there is still rocking an Uncle Jesse mullet, because they love it and it makes them happy to hell with what anyone else thinks. So in all honesty who's the real loser here? One trying to find out what's new and following along supporting the 1% status quo? or the 1% saying I like day-glo Lycra, whether it's in fashion or not?

Self actualization, is when you can turn the hobbies you are passionate about into a career to survive off of easily... when you do not require status, and can see the rectangle beyond branding and drive on. Of course someone may say... how many makers of leather goods do we need? Well, how many people use leather goods in your area? Do you think one artisan could supply all of that? There's the hitch... only if they are a corporation employing a bunch of low wage workers, that likely really don't care about leather at all, and go through life feeling unfulfilled. Hey, the major corporations supplying leather goods... don't want the local artisans becoming competition though do they? So it is in their best interest in order to live at their level of excess and status... that people don't make leather goods or try to squeeze them out like Wal-mart killed small business for cheaply made stuff in slave labor conditions.

Continued below...

edit on 21-2-2015 by BigBrotherDarkness because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2015 @ 07:11 AM
link   
Continued from above...

People, are always yelling what's the solution what's the solution what's better than what we have now? Well it's that... and we have the frame work to do it already set up don't we? To big to fail does not exist... the idea that it does, is what has weakened our world economies... we have to bail out these 1% companies, many that do not even pay taxes with taxes... because they employ so many workers etc. well, handing over our power to them was out of convenience... each of them grow so large they attain power and influence, so much so that they buy our voices out of politics in order to keep it all going only for their benefit, and fight any worker benefit tooth and nail.

The only reason fast food places are considering wage increases is because, it hurts the opinion of the people that keep them in business... showing who really has the power over these huge sometimes multinational corporations
So that's the answer... if you have a passion or a hobby? It is of value, it is marketable... don't sell it or yourself out, sell it instead... remember, doing what you love is one of the secrets to success... do you need to be a status clinger social scener? To be happy? Owning your own business, and sharing your honed skills in the world is a quicker and better route to that, if it what you truly desire to be perfectly honest. If your rent or mortgage is 1500 a month and you're rarely there except to use it as home base for sleep, food, storage, and costume changes... I can guarantee you there's something less expensive that will also fit that bill.

Don't forget Ice-T and the only thing he "requires" to be happy... I bet if you look back on the times that made you happy in life... I bet the expenses were no where near what they are now and likely miserable too... unless you're already ahead of the game with this plan an action and haven't or have realized it yet. If you say I don't have hobbies or special skills... well, I know a few people that make a really decent living hula hooping... yes you heard me right that toy less than 15 dollars and a little co-ordination earns them a living... you have some passions I am sure, and some skills take little to learn in your spare time, instead of investing in the status quo and it's future, take some time to invest in yourself and your future. This isn't a get rich quick scheme, it's a get happy scheme... and we all know more or less that happiness is the driving force behind all we do, and having it is priceless.

Well, there's the better system people want to hear... everyone has a need for something you can fill, so find that need and fill it. If you don't think local artisans and specialty business, is economically viable... read some history on Hebden Bridge in the UK.. or any other downtown revitalization project and what caused them to thrive and be reborn from the ashes.

edit on 21-2-2015 by BigBrotherDarkness because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2015 @ 11:14 AM
link   
When I look back on what makes me happy it's always human interaction never the material if your car or clothes or money are the things that genuinely make you happy then your lost if you can't look back on that awesome night with friends or your first kiss and smile and feel that warm fuzzy feeling in your heart you are a robot. I don't love inanimate objects I love people.

posted on Feb, 21 2015 @ 09:19 PM
link   
In my perfect world, job losses would be celebrated as a key indicator of our progression towards lifetime freedom, people would pride themselves on how LITTLE they consumed and every time they went to get that next "must have" they feel the pain of the 3rd world slave who put it together in order to obtain food and not much else, also the pain of their mother - earth, every time they throw out last weeks "must have" into landfill/pollution - I'm trying to will it into existence, every damn day.

posted on Feb, 21 2015 @ 09:23 PM
link   
We have an empty culture and society. We stopped teaching people how to feel full without buying lots of stuff in an attempt to fill that void. Sure that makes lots of profits, but it doesn't fulfill you.

Maybe it's time to stop pushing spirituality/religiousity out of the public consciousness. People need to seek fulfillment by something other than material goods before we can even begin to change anything.

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 01:03 AM
link   
I definitely know where you are coming from. I am lucky to be able do what I love for money, and when you are also fairly good at that thing you love, you really don't need a lot of time working to pay for the kind of life that makes a person and those around them happy. I was lucky to figure that out early. It is nice living off of salaries intended to support a consumerist yuppie lifestyle with a beach-bum's "needs".

The real killer though, at least stateside, is health "care" costs. They will bankrupt you whether you are rich or poor ( and I think it is intended that way); having extra dough around does mean you are able to help out family members when they inevitably run into this engineered snare. I am not really sure what the answer to that one is. Leave the country for greener pastures? I think the idea that you forfeit everything you own if only you get sick enough may be enough to drive me away at some point.

Outside of that, and similar loopholes when the philosophy is filtered through particularly the American system as it is so structured, it works out quite well to me.

Tell me more about the folks who hula-hoop for cash; I am sure the story is worth telling at least once.

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 02:38 AM
link   
In other words... no solution.
Just be a slave to the money system and use your hobby to serve the greedy bankers system.

Money is the manifestation of a sick human mind. Humans seem to have lower consciousness than animals for some reason, at least they are smart enough to live their lives free and not put everything in a money system.

May mammon (the evil spirit of money) be gone.

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 10:42 AM
link   
Sorry to have dropped it and ran... had a lot of people and business to take care of. My apologies for neglecting care of here due to lack of time.

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 10:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: arpgme
Just be a slave to the money system and use your hobby to serve the greedy bankers system.

Money is the manifestation of a sick human mind. Humans seem to have lower consciousness than animals for some reason, at least they are smart enough to live their lives free and not put everything in a money system.

Money is not evil. It is simply a means of representing exchange of goods and services. What is the true evil is the greed and desire to acquire ever more of what money represents. In a sense, we can blame our animal natures for the greed. It is simply an overly developed outgrowth of that selfish survival instinct all animals have.

Again, a well-developed spiritual nature helps you combat greed and all of your animal desires and the evils they cause.

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 11:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: arpgme

if you want to put the money you make now... into the banking cartels out of convenience, instead of back into your local community? I guess that's your business... I suggest a locally co-opted credit union that serves the community you live in, if you must deal with digital dollars.

No one said money had to change hands on everything, supply a local cattle owner with some leather goods in trade for hide, he trades some meat to the local butcher for whatever the butcher might want to trade... or maybe the butchers husband enjoys lawn maintenance. Most people have some specialized service they can trade... it's being active in your community and social. There's no tax on trading goods... this used to be the CUSTOM and why people were once called customers, instead of om nom nom consumers eating up all the resources of cheaply made goods that don't last, from foreign people that typically can't even afford what they sit on an assembly line making day in and day out.

Of course money isn't evil it's a short cut to the above... the people greedy for power hoard it, bottle necking economies... instead of putting it back into their local communities.

Getting rid of the money concept altogether is an extreme, of course there's communes and monasteries if you hate it so much, so perhaps there's an option? Your chains are only on your neck and legs, because you allow them there, there's a key for each one in both of your hands... unlocking them is your choice.

I'm kind of sad, about the short shortsightedness of your post.

Oh no... self actualization isn't the answer to changing society around, huh? Just go right back to sleep paying the same old systems that fuel the problems we are currently in. Just because many large corporations don't want to be here and use us for labor, doesn't mean your neighbor doesn't have a job for you... then hate money hate grumble grumble... that's quite the working solution for maintaining apathy you have going on there. I am very sorry you have reached that point...
edit on 22-2-2015 by BigBrotherDarkness because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 11:19 AM
link   
The biggest hurdle is designing a system that not only competes in terms of real world terms, but that can beat out the perceived "advantages" offered by the current system.

Then, of course, it comes down to actual participation. I think for this part to truly grow, there has to be an actual system to participate in rather than solely a philosophy.

You bring up such an important point though; We all 'feed the beast' by participating in the current system.

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 11:28 AM
link   
a reply to: christophoros

Exactly! Unfortunately we can't sit and just hang out all day with all our friends... we could, I mean I've seen plenty of that in parks, hell used to do the same thing myself quite often... oh and Congress... they do quite a bit of sitting around hanging out with their friends if they decide to show up at all. But then requiring food etc. makes one reliant on the generosity of someone else... of course some people are astounded that people will toss a dollar here and there for just that to someone... but hey some people can appreciate someone living what appears simpler...

There's a very interesting story about a Hermit that lived at Fort Fisher North Carolina... he moved there into an old military bunker to get away from society and write... but people curious or wanting to chase him out kept him so busy... he never got around to writing it. He was the number one tourist attraction in all of North Carolina beating out the battleship memorial.

Of course no matter what you do, everyday you are surviving from one to the next, so it can be spent stressed and worried about maintaining some expected lifestyle, or spent on maintaining something simpler that you honestly enjoy... and when it's people? I know you know this.... there's no amount of money needed, to enjoy something so priceless as sharing time with someone else... it isn't what you hoarded in life that defines you in the end, it's the people you leave behind

edit on 22-2-2015 by BigBrotherDarkness because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 11:38 AM
link   
a reply to: Serdgiam

Well, this already has strong roots... it's a matter of eating at a food truck or a locally owned restaurant instead of a major chain... it's that simple. Your dollar is a debt owed to someone else... it's printed right on the thing, "for all debts public and private" it's much better for society too... corps have gotten so big and power hungry, they got politics to name them people and have given them rights as if they were... but you can't take a logo to court can you? You hit every one of their customers when you win a case and the cost of their services and products increase... while they lobby on things that do not usually benefit anything but their bottom lines. If you don't want to be in their pocket, watch were you put what comes out of yours.

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 11:49 AM
link   
a reply to: BigBrotherDarkness

Oh, I get all that Brother. Been advocating and practicing it for years now.

The issue is, what incentive does that food truck have to *not* start buying all the other food trucks and monopolizing the market?

The entire system is incentivized to create exactly what we have, or it would have created something different.

What about things like where the food, fuel, and supplies in the food truck come from? Or the electricity used for the lights? Or the highways and roads used to drive it? In many sectors, there are also licences and regulations that are explicitly prohibitive for anything other than the businesses that already have succeeded.

I'm not in disagreement, for what it's worth. I think what you propose is a good first step in truly creating a "better" world.

The internet also gives us access to the same 'food' that feeds large corporations, and that is small pieces of participation across large sections of the population.

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 11:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: BigBrotherDarkness
If you don't want to be in their pocket, watch were you put what comes out of yours.

This is critically important. People need to pay full attention to everything they're buying. Read the label. Who made it? Where was it made? Who actually produced it? What is it for? What does it symbolize? Does it's production or use harm or abuse people? Animals?

We can't be a part of this stuff anymore. Pay attention to where you get your clothes, buy your food, etc. It matters. Act on your conscience.

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 11:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: joeraynor
I definitely know where you are coming from. I am lucky to be able do what I love for money, and when you are also fairly good at that thing you love, you really don't need a lot of time working to pay for the kind of life that makes a person and those around them happy. I was lucky to figure that out early. It is nice living off of salaries intended to support a consumerist yuppie lifestyle with a beach-bum's "needs".

The real killer though, at least stateside, is health "care" costs. They will bankrupt you whether you are rich or poor ( and I think it is intended that way); having extra dough around does mean you are able to help out family members when they inevitably run into this engineered snare. I am not really sure what the answer to that one is. Leave the country for greener pastures? I think the idea that you forfeit everything you own if only you get sick enough may be enough to drive me away at some point.

Outside of that, and similar loopholes when the philosophy is filtered through particularly the American system as it is so structured, it works out quite well to me.

Tell me more about the folks who hula-hoop for cash; I am sure the story is worth telling at least once.

Very happy to hear this Joe, I know many people that are doing exactly what you are doing and it all started grass roots, finding a niche a need and filling it with something of good quality care and workmanship... and you know that's going to happen when the people doing the job love it or have a passion for it

Yah Hula-hooping... they wear a costume of some sort fitting a local event, and perform the same way someone would at a local mic night... many have developed it into an art form of grace, some have added lights... in the dark it's really cool and fun entertainment... and they make about 60 bucks an hour doing it... it's like the sign flippers you see outside to attract attention as a living sign... know one of those too in business for himself, 30 an hour. Then there's side projects off of that like modeling for photos where the light paints geometric patterns... the photog has no issue paying good because hey, this person sells the prints because it's art... two jobs in one.

When I was younger, I had no earthly Idea what I wanted to be when I "grew up" it all seemed so pigeon holed and boring. Everything you see around you someone made and got paid for even some stuff naturally like bonsai trees, or grass cutting... a job can be anything your imagination can dig up. Not, what appeared like 30 different jobs in the world for everyone when I was little... couldn't have been just me that thought that because no one told me different, and tests to help you choose didn't really say cereal box designer or video game tester :p Oh, art... guess I gotta be as good as some Dali, or Rembrandt... crap, giving up on art in that case... I have a feeling this is why a lot of kids feel so hopeless, and scared when they see adulthood closing in... we leave out the "niche"

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 12:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Serdgiam

The only thing that will stop that? Is the person that they want to buy it from has an ethic of "no thanks" not selling out my dream for your greed... and customers that don't want a chain on wheels.

P.S. if you use oil in a fryer and it's a diesel... you can pour that spent oil right into your fuel tank.

You can think in the box, out of the box, under the box, on the box, behind it, while making it... well you get the idea... there's no limit unless you place one.

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 12:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: NthOther

originally posted by: BigBrotherDarkness
If you don't want to be in their pocket, watch were you put what comes out of yours.

This is critically important. People need to pay full attention to everything they're buying. Read the label. Who made it? Where was it made? Who actually produced it? What is it for? What does it symbolize? Does it's production or use harm or abuse people? Animals?

We can't be a part of this stuff anymore. Pay attention to where you get your clothes, buy your food, etc. It matters. Act on your conscience.

Yup and black list those that don't participate... to borrow a slogan for a twist... What's in your wallet? Power. It's power over the system holding us down at it's whim on all our backs... giving us what in return?

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 12:26 PM
link   
Another component is education. I remember when we were learning to distinguish fact from fiction and persuasion in school, my teachers used advertising specifically to teach us those concepts. In short, we came away both learning those concepts and learning that ads were, while not specifically lies, designed to make you want to buy a product. To persuade.

Do they teach that to kids anymore? I know ads work because my son is starting to see kids commercials on TV and will absentmindedly say afterward, "I want this or that ..." where this or that is whatever the product was. But I've never felt particularly swayed by an ad beyond deciding to check something out if it was already something I was thinking about getting.

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 12:27 PM
link   
I have to go take care of some sleep... but I'll leave you with this. A corporate raider and a Harvard graduate, were having a debate, the raider said: The government does not create jobs, and the Harvard graduate agreed... and every federal employee all rolled their eyes in unison... these two people were our last two final presidential candidates.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join