It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Great Lakes are freezing!

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 20 2015 @ 06:17 AM
link   
The Great Lakes are freezing, most are covered with 9/10+ ice.

NOAA 2015-02-19

Probably caused again by the "warming"... Is there is something that cannot be caused by the "warming"?

posted on Feb, 20 2015 @ 06:27 AM
link   
a reply to: PeterMcFly

A phase state change, such as freezing, requires energy, that is why hot water freezes more rapidly in your refrigerator than cold water. (You can confirm this yourself with a simple experiment.) The Great Lakes have started freezing recently due to a combination of increased heat (energy) and the shifting of the jet stream due to low pressure systems forming in the west of North America due to, yes, global warming.

posted on Feb, 20 2015 @ 06:27 AM
link   
At 6am it was -27 up here, but now it's already warmed up to a balmy 2. KISQ

The lakes aren't the only thing freezing!

posted on Feb, 20 2015 @ 06:28 AM
link   

Well considering it is a very cold February,why would anyone be surprised the lakes are freezing up??
Its minus 22 as I type,which is enough to freeze things,including lakes.

posted on Feb, 20 2015 @ 06:29 AM
link   

This has happened as far back as I remember....people have been driving their Volkswagons on Lake Erie since the 1950s...Im not sure of the point...but its alot of fun.

posted on Feb, 20 2015 @ 06:30 AM
link   
a reply to: DJW001

A phase state change, such as freezing, requires energy, that is why hot water freezes more rapidly in your refrigerator than cold water

That may be true BUT ....

You still need the fridge.

It will not happen in a warm oven.

Lol

P

posted on Feb, 20 2015 @ 06:32 AM
link   
a reply to: BlueJacket

Yeah, the lakes freezing over is nothing new. Yes, this is the second year in a row since the 70s with more than 80% ice coverage across all the lakes, but if you look at the historical data you'll see it was a lot more common over forty years ago too.

Edit to add: You can view the most recent satellite pictures of the Great Lakes ice here. It's updated twice daily, morning and afternoon. The first update from today should be in a couple hours.
edit on 2/20/2015 by cmdrkeenkid because: Added additional response.

posted on Feb, 20 2015 @ 06:34 AM
link   

A phase state change, such as freezing, requires energy,

Wow another proof that my whole science education was botched... In my time they taught me that a water phase change from liquid to ice GIVE UP energy that must be pumped by a congelation kind of device called a freezer!

But I have to concede, time change!!!

posted on Feb, 20 2015 @ 06:38 AM
link   

We all know that Warming was a Hoax.

Obama actually promised Change, so this is what we get, Climate Change.

He delivered on his promise, He changed the term from Global Warming to Global Climate Change to align with the Heath care tax and carbon tax.

When I say He, I mean They. Welcome to the new world order of change.

Oh, they froze last year too, so much for "Change"

Sirric

posted on Feb, 20 2015 @ 06:38 AM
link   

This is not a new phenomenon, the Great lakes freeze over about every 10 to 20 years. I remember riding a snowmobile across from Muskegon, MI to Milwaukee, WI

My Grandmother told me they used to walk across in the 1930's and 1940's.

BTW Star and Flag for the sarcasm in the OP!

edit on 20-2-2015 by RedmoonMWC because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2015 @ 06:40 AM
link   

No, the great lakes have ALWAYS frozen, because they are in the Northern Hemoisphere and its bloody winter...physics aside..we have been driving and fishing on the great lakes FOR EVER! Good God

posted on Feb, 20 2015 @ 06:41 AM
link   
a reply to: sirric

But, but... they promised snow would go away?!

Snowfalls are now just a thing of the past

posted on Feb, 20 2015 @ 06:42 AM
link   
I'm glad they're freezing over. It means there will be fewer 'lake-effect' snow squalls to make driving treacherous in SW Ontario. Sick of closed roads.

posted on Feb, 20 2015 @ 06:44 AM
link   
a reply to: cmdrkeenkid

He wasn't talking about The Grand Tetons....

It's that cold here with the windchill as well. I'm not leaving my house today. Not even if it's on fire. Nope. Not gonna do

posted on Feb, 20 2015 @ 06:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: PeterMcFly

A phase state change, such as freezing, requires energy,

Wow another proof that my whole science education was botched... In my time they taught me that a water phase change from liquid to ice GIVE UP energy that must be pumped by a congelation kind of device called a freezer!

But I have to concede, time change!!!

Yes, your science education was botched, that's why you think global warming is a hoax. Setting aside what percentage has been due to human activity, measurements of global temperature, that is, the average temperature for the entire planet, has been increasing. The effect may even be greater than observed because, astronomically, the planet should be trending towards glaciation, ie; an "Ice Age."

posted on Feb, 20 2015 @ 06:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: pheonix358

A phase state change, such as freezing, requires energy, that is why hot water freezes more rapidly in your refrigerator than cold water

That may be true BUT ....

You still need the fridge.

It will not happen in a warm oven.

Lol

P

Correct; the ambient (atmospheric) temperature is unusually cold because the jet stream is diverting cold, dry air that normally forms a cell above the North Pole, the so called "Polar Vortex." That is your refrigerator unit.

posted on Feb, 20 2015 @ 06:48 AM
link   
a reply to: masqua

And not funny to dig the car from the top!

posted on Feb, 20 2015 @ 06:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: DJW001

A phase state change, such as freezing, requires energy, that is why hot water freezes more rapidly in your refrigerator than cold water. (You can confirm this yourself with a simple experiment.) The Great Lakes have started freezing recently due to a combination of increased heat (energy) and the shifting of the jet stream due to low pressure systems forming in the west of North America due to, yes, global warming.

Hot water does not "always" freeze faster than cold water.
You are referring to the mpemba effect and it only occurs sometimes. There is still great debate as to why is happens. Science still can't explain why water expands when it freezes either.

This frozen Great Lake reminds me of the time they stocked white tail deer on mackinac island. The first winter after the stocking, the lake froze and the deer walked off the island. Bbwwahahahaha

posted on Feb, 20 2015 @ 06:53 AM
link   

Yes, your science education was botched...

At least I did receive one!

Phase changes

posted on Feb, 20 2015 @ 06:54 AM
link   
a reply to: masqua

Yeah, It's been pretty gnarly up here too a couple times. We've had a few days where the two main roads that go east/west in the UP (US-2 and M-28) were shut down. Same with some of the north/south routes (US-41 and M-94). There were a couple days we were basically isolated from the rest of the world.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join