It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

CAT 5 Cyclone to hit Queensland, Australia in 1 hour

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 03:00 PM
link   
In the next 1 to 2 hours there is a Catergory 5 Cyclone (hurricane) going to hit populated areas of Queensland. Cat 5 cyclone "Marcia" is expected to be a Cat 2 and Cat 1 over inland moving south for the next 12 hours which is unprecedented.

7.40am CYCLONE MARCIA: Category Five Cyclone Marcia is expected to cross the Queensland coast at about 8am (AEST), packing wind gusts close to 300 kilometres an hour.

It’s expected to make landfall in the Yeppoon area about 8am (AEST), Brian Cox, from the State Disaster Co-ordination Centre in Brisbane, told ABC radio.

“The system has sped up a little bit more. We’re seeing the eye approaching the coast near Yeppoon,” he said.

“We’re anticipating that around 8am it’s going to cross that coast line.” He said the timing couldn’t be worse, with the landfall time expected very close to the peak of the high tide at 10am (AEST), compounding the risk of flooding from the dangerous storm surge the cyclone will bring.

It is now less than an hour till impact.

twitter feed available here - twitter.com...
www.brisbanetimes.com.au...
edit on 19-2-2015 by bellagirl because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 03:04 PM
link   
a reply to: bellagirl

Holy pete! Not familiar with Australia at all, is that a heavily populated area?
Stay safe everyone.

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 03:10 PM
link   
a reply to: chiefsmom

Ask someone who lives there. ATS thread I remembered from earlier today.

Not sure myself...was about to go find the other thread anyways and ask.

This storm grew quickly

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 03:13 PM
link   
Wow, do you live in that area bellagirl?

Darn, Cat five was just downstairs sleeping on the couch. He must have got on a fast jet to get there so fast.

edit on 19-2-2015 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 03:14 PM
link   
Yes...its a populated coastal area where it is expected to hit.

The other problem is that once inland it is expected to head south towards the capital of queensland called Brisbane. It will be travelling over highly populated areas as a cat 3, cat 2 and cat 1 by the time it hits the city.

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 03:15 PM
link   
Good luck to any in its path, hope your prepared.

Water or ways to treat water for a bit.

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 03:18 PM
link   
Yipes..didn't hear about that. My folks live in Mackay, which is a bit further north so I imagine they'll probably get a bit of rain at least. Have to give them a call....

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 03:19 PM
link   
double post.

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 03:21 PM
link   
No....i am in Sydney but there a quite a few ATS members that will be affected by this. As pointed out in an earlier post there is one member right there.

I have many family and friends in the regions expected to be hit.

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 03:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: Flatcoat
Yipes..didn't hear about that. My folks live in Mackay, which is a bit further north so I imagine they'll probably get a bit of rain at least. Have to give them a call....

Mackay looks like its going to be ok...good news for your family.

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 03:23 PM
link   

Satellite Pic link MTSAT

This is infrared view.
Stay safe!

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 03:29 PM
link   

oh wow that's not good.

If you're in the way of that thing. Evacuate.

Hurricane Andrew taught us that everything in it's path is going to be leveled.

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 03:33 PM
link   
Latest update..... It has more more south towards higher populated areas.

People have now been told its too late to go anywhere. Move to the strongest part of your house and brace. It is now just starting to hit the coast.

It is expected to be a cat 4 when it hits Rockhampton which is a very highly populated area inland.

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 03:35 PM
link   
good luck mates, I hope everyone stays safe down under....even a cat 2 is wicked scary

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 03:37 PM
link   
8.12am CYCLONE MARCIA: Police Commissioner Ian Stewart said a disaster was looming for parts of Queensland.

“This is going to be a calamity, there is no doubt about that,” he said.

He said even emergency services would be withdrawing from the cyclone’s strike zone in coming hours.

“They will be going to places of safety, so that they are ready as soon as the eye has passed,” Mr Stewart said.

Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk said “there are concerns for human safety” and concern for Yeppoon and the communities immediately surrounding it.

She said there were 16,000 people in Yeppoon.

“But that region contains around 30,000,” she said.

“And there’s the heavily populated areas around Rockhampton, they are going to feel the full force of a Category three storm as well

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 03:46 PM
link   
www.australiachannel.com.au...

for those who may wish to watch live coverage.

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 03:55 PM
link   
pbs.twimg.com...

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 04:17 PM
link   
I've been trying to find some live webcams for that area and can't seem to come up with any, but for everyone there, stay safe!
That is one huge storm!

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 04:18 PM
link   
Im in Hervey Bay, we're getting a lot of mixed predictions here understandably, it will miss here, nothing exciting ever happens here

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 04:20 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse I see what you did there

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join