It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

After the computer/cell phones, what will be the next "big thing" in electronics ?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 17 2015 @ 11:08 PM
link   
In history it seems there was always the new "big thing" that became a standard . Lots of stuff but Im thinking about how the compact disk was "the thing" for while, shortly after the record player was "the thing" . Now that a phone is also a computer, gps and all sorts of other stuff what could be next ? Will it be something that will appear "magical" at first before it becomes a standard ? Or will it be something small but amazing ? Other than making the cell phone more and more clever in design I think we may be stuck with that for a while. I think that in about 10 years , a cell phone will be replaced with a device the size of a magic marker that beams out a screen and a key pad that will be able to communicate where something like Skype is the norm for a phone call, how cool, a marker size device that beams out a screen that is also a touch screen, kinda like the clock that has the numbers floating in the air. That's my prediction, I want to hear about yours.

posted on Feb, 17 2015 @ 11:10 PM
link   
Transhumanism...
en.wikipedia.org...
Embedding technology into the human body and interfacing it directly with our biology.

Example...
DARPA's 'Cortical Modem' will plug straight into your BRAIN

edit on 17-2-2015 by CraftBuilder because: I don't have a spell check augmented into my visual cortex yet.

posted on Feb, 17 2015 @ 11:11 PM
link   
Mine is a brain implant with artificial intelligence.

Selectable IQ levels for specific situations.

posted on Feb, 17 2015 @ 11:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Foderalover

Augmented reality will be the next step forward for the common man.

(this is what will be hitting soon, but that is just the beginning)
edit on 17-2-2015 by Darkblade71 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2015 @ 11:13 PM
link   
I was thinking about something like that for the far future but I didn't know that word, you taught me a new word lol. I was kind of thinking about a device but I do think that Transhumanism is inevitable.

posted on Feb, 17 2015 @ 11:14 PM
link   
I recall the orgasamatron from the film 'Sleeper' being a party favorite.

posted on Feb, 17 2015 @ 11:16 PM
link   
Embedded wearables & implants.

I think augmented reality devices are crude at the moment, but eventually the devices will be imperceptable.

There's actually a lot in the pipeline, and it kinda depends on what you think of as novel as to what the next big thing is.

In many ways, most "new tech" is just marketing, and repackaging, recombining tech that already exists, miniaturizing, and such.

posted on Feb, 17 2015 @ 11:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: CraftBuilder
Transhumanism...
en.wikipedia.org...
Embedding technology into the human body and interfacing it directly with our biology.

Example...
DARPA's 'Cortical Modem' will plug straight into your BRAIN

Agreed. Technological singularity.

posted on Feb, 17 2015 @ 11:29 PM
link   
Ghost particle wave recorders and RFID chips in everyone.

posted on Feb, 17 2015 @ 11:32 PM
link   
a reply to: pl3bscheese

I agree now its moving on to interfacing us with the technology we create. Id guess first on the list will be 3d interactions where we walk into the display and later doing away with the display and directly accessing the tech with our minds.

posted on Feb, 17 2015 @ 11:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: Darkblade71

Augmented reality will be the next step forward for the common man.

(this is what will be hitting soon, but that is just the beginning)

I agree, this will be the next evolution of technology to be within nearly every 1st world home within 10-15 years. It will become a playground with it's own laws, money, politics, real estate, business, etc. Neal Stephenson's "Snow Crash" is a good fictional portrait of what the future holds for us. And is a great entertaining book at that.

posted on Feb, 17 2015 @ 11:35 PM
link   
a reply to: dragonridr
I think there will be a 3d scanner satellite that will map the earth and create it into a some kind of construct and all lifeforms also. Then some day man will be typing his every move sadly.

posted on Feb, 18 2015 @ 12:02 AM
link   

My guess is the next big thing wont involve technology but rapid medical advances . Breakthroughs in stem cell research enabling us to not only cure debilative brain diseases but also reaching beyond that and enabling people with spinal injuries to walk and possibly even re growing limbs . And if they come up with a pill that enables you to live to 300 , well i wont be taking it . Be buggered if i am going to work till i am 275 .

posted on Feb, 18 2015 @ 12:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen

Hmmm a few modifications.....
Brain implant with artificial unintelligence.
Selectable IQ levels for the privileged.

Advertisements flash before your eyes in an induced hallucinogenic trance at regular intervals.

You go to work, stand in one place and drool in your trance as your factory installed exoskeleton enhanced programmable arm zips away at some mundane task.

Welcome to the new world of cybernetic technology, now satisfy your artificial desires to consume as a new age super consumer should in your not so free time.

posted on Feb, 18 2015 @ 12:42 AM
link   

Good idea. There are times I wish I could just be dumb.
There are times I wish I was smarter.

posted on Feb, 18 2015 @ 01:01 AM
link   

The next step will be more and more integration of augmented reality. This will be the new social and economic platform upon which humanity interacts.

On the medical front, I see medicinal viruses outpacing the usefulness of nanotechnology. Nanotechnology will be used to compliment and enhance biology but actual "healing" will be handled by actual biotechnology. Genetics will also be greatly blessed by new manipulation sciences coupled with nanotech as well as any sort of cybernetic/cosmetic alteration you can dream up. Much of this will be shadowed by the prevalence of the above-mentioned augmented reality which will make much of our cosmetic changes prohibitively underwhelming in comparison.

Our scope of knowledge in physics (including the fun quantum variety, of course) will continue to perplex us as we uncover immensely ground-breaking discoveries only to be faced with more mysteries. Some of this will validate core fundamentals of spirituality while simultaneously invalidating several religious beliefs.

Energy industries will still be monopolized but greatly improved. Energy technology will reach a point of efficiency that will make free and renewable sources seem burdensome. There will be a new use for oil that will keep it in the market.

Entertainment will branch out into ever-marginalized ends of the spectrum, from organic farming contests to virtual gladiator tournaments. Digital gaming will reach an advancement benchmark that will make it a worthwhile spectator sport and board games will virtually become video games with the growing reliance on augmented reality. There will be a huge wave of counter-culturalists who will insist upon humanocentric entertainment and the sex industry will boom with both organic people as well as synthetic entertainers.

As social media barrier-to-entry allows for the most impoverished of the world to post status updates, world-wide severe poverty will come to an end. Celebrities and the 1% who "care" can't be seen not doing anything to help all these people Tweeting about how there's no water for their newborns to drink nor food for their families to eat. Wells will be dug and crops will be planted in a world-wide effort to bring the minimum standard of living up to acceptable levels.

Anyway... that's what I see in the next few years.

posted on Feb, 18 2015 @ 01:03 AM
link   
This is probably the most exciting topic, but would you know I have to go to bed now. Anyway, you know we could talk all night about what we think will happen and be sure of some of it, but we really don't know. People in the past have tried to predict the future, but most with terrible results, and even the best fall far from precision. I think Arthur C. Clarke did great for a science fiction author who had a strong background in science. I think people who work in business and fund much of the innovation are also god predictors. Still, try as we might, the future will always surprise us.

I'll say I'm semi-interested in the technology google is pursuing. You put a sticker on your throat and it detects what you're saying or what you might have said. It can "hear" your whispers by sensing the vibrations. This may or may not have practical ends, but the IDEA is nice. Think: voice activation without the noise. Voice activation is terribel, currently, and it may be rendered mute by future things. It's still itneresting.

What always gets me is how future technology will also change us and in turn change the technologies we will create....
edit on 18-2-2015 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2015 @ 02:01 AM
link   

Its gotta be a wireless brain machine interface without any implants FTW!
Meaning it can send and recieve data directly into and from your visual cortex.
No need to implant anything at all, your device will work like an emotive helmet but be able to give you experiences like virtual reality. No glasses no helmets just a little cell phone like device that hooks you up to a internet like network which works similar to waking lucid dreams, it will be augmented reality powered by the mind.

posted on Feb, 18 2015 @ 02:21 AM
link   
Holographic television

posted on Feb, 18 2015 @ 02:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: TinfoilTP

Hmmm a few modifications.....
Brain implant with artificial unintelligence.
Selectable IQ levels for the privileged.

Advertisements flash before your eyes in an induced hallucinogenic trance at regular intervals.

You go to work, stand in one place and drool in your trance as your factory installed exoskeleton enhanced programmable arm zips away at some mundane task.

Welcome to the new world of cybernetic technology, now satisfy your artificial desires to consume as a new age super consumer should in your not so free time.

That's an awfully unintelligent idea. What exact purpose would a human-being have at that factory except be in the way and cost money? The technology is obviously there to make that person redundant.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join