It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

British SAS soldiers told save the last bullet for yourself; Don't be taken alive by ISIS

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 12:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: FlyInTheOintment
a reply to: Bedlam

But surely they should have found a way to ensure that circling drones can pick up some sort of signature by now?

You generally don't want to be broadcasting a signal when you're sneaking around. There are low-observability tracking systems that SOCOM uses if you might want to squeal for help, but it's not a standard carry. Also there are some new fun tracking systems that are optic, sort of fun.

Generally you use a satellite uplink and tell them where you are.

My thoughts are that each special forces operative should have a web/sat connected implant at the base of the brain, which transmits data including location at prompting of central command, or via speech, if triggered by a particular string of phonetics (so you don't waste power recording every conversation).

Screw that. Yet Another Thing to have to screw with in the field. You do realize you'd have to constantly recharge the thing, and that transmitting from inside you is pretty crappily inefficient? Not to mention you can't possibly get a GPS fix from inside your head.

There would, in my opinion, be no shame in including a 'kill-switch' function - which would utilise available battery power to burn painlessly through your brain stem if you were in a no-hope situation.

And once it leaked to your non-allies, they could wipe you out to a man with the push of a button.

You could even have your last words transmitted & recorded to be given to your family members once the mission was out of the live phase, when formal grieving could begin.

In general, unless you buy it on environment rotation or training or the like, your family will never know the exact circumstances, and often not even if you were on a job or not.

posted on Feb, 20 2015 @ 12:12 AM
link   
a reply to: FlyInTheOintment

We are SOLDIERS not equipment.
WE DO eventually get out THEN what,what happens if someone gets the frqs?
You whole team goes down then,WE can handle NON tracking JUST fine.

posted on Feb, 20 2015 @ 01:03 AM
link   
a reply to: Anyafaj

This has been standard operating procedure in such an event since day 1 of SAS. In fact, the SAS originated this policy most likely. The US and other Nations with Modern Special Forces mirrored almost everything they have based on the SAS during and post WW2. It just makes good sense. It's a tactic that I imagine has been utilized throughout warfare history as well. It's always been an unspoken rule among the world's most elite special operations entities as far as I know. Seems like they are just reinforcing it for extra measure to remind folks how bad things are.

posted on Feb, 20 2015 @ 06:30 AM
link   
Right. I'm just going to make a point here. Who can tell me how many serving members of 22 SAS have had to shoot themselves rather than be captured?

I'll drop a hint. It's below 1. Quitting is not part of the mentality needed to pass selection and serve in the regiment. And that's pretty much what shooting yourself is. It's Hollywood. Men will either go down trying to bug out or they will go down fighting. But they don't roll over and give up. That desire to win and desire to get the job done is stronger than the fear of death. Shooting yourself in the head is most certainly not an SOP of any regiment.
edit on 3661642 by sg1642 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2015 @ 08:16 AM
link   
a reply to: Flint2011

Please don't think i am picking on you because there are loads of posters who do this on loads of threads but your last post illustrates this point perfectly.

Your post epitomizes the ignorance that some members on this site have when it comes to Special forces, like you guys read a few Mcnab books and are suddenly experts on the history and tactics of Special Forces. I do not blame you, I blame the media who have created all of these grandiose myths around our Special Forces as some kind of modern day invincible Spartans.

The start of your post sums this up.

This has been standard operating procedure in such an event since day 1 of SAS

Emmmm really....

I don't think so, I mean if that is the case then how come so many members of the SAS have been captured, even David Stirling was captured and didn't end up shooting himself.

There is zero evidence to support this claim other than what you see in Hollywood.

Whenever I read a thread on ATS on Special Forces I always end up reading a whole load of posts that remind me of this hilarious sketch from Ricky Gervais in Extra's.

posted on Feb, 20 2015 @ 10:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: sg1642
Shooting yourself in the head is most certainly not an SOP of any regiment.

A shame, too: I've suggested it to several people in the past. I think it would be an improvement in some cases, especially for certain individuals. Unfortunately, you're not allowed to give that as an order, or I'd have purified the service of several people.
edit on 20-2-2015 by Bedlam because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2015 @ 11:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bedlam

originally posted by: sg1642
Shooting yourself in the head is most certainly not an SOP of any regiment.

A shame, too: I've suggested it to several people in the past. I think it would be an improvement in some cases, especially for certain individuals. Unfortunately, you're not allowed to give that as an order, or I'd have purified the service of several people.
I know the feeling

posted on Feb, 20 2015 @ 12:22 PM
link   
a reply to: sg1642

Truthfully, though, if it gets down to crazy, you can always choose to see the situation as going from Bronze into Silver, maybe DSC territory. You're moving into a #ing MAJOR medal zone, LOAC is suspended, ROE are off the table, it's a target rich environment, and the bragging rights will be endless.

You're had anyway, roll up your sleeves and get creative.

Or, as the song goes "This ain't what you planned, but you got one last stand: let the music play"

posted on Feb, 20 2015 @ 01:32 PM
link   
a reply to: OtherSideOfTheCoin

Well, don't take it personal if I care less what your thoughts are. I did not make my post based on any film, tv show or some book that some former member of SO/SF made. This has and always will be down to the type of enemy and scenario first of all. Also, I made it clear it has always been an unspoken rule based on the former sentence to this.

But hey, If I am so wrong then so be it.

posted on Feb, 20 2015 @ 05:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: Flint2011
a reply to: OtherSideOfTheCoin

Well, don't take it personal if I care less what your thoughts are. I did not make my post based on any film, tv show or some book that some former member of SO/SF made. This has and always will be down to the type of enemy and scenario first of all. Also, I made it clear it has always been an unspoken rule based on the former sentence to this.

But hey, If I am so wrong then so be it.
it's nothing to do with the enemy or climate you are operating in. It's just not the done thing to be honest.

posted on Feb, 20 2015 @ 08:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: onequestion
a reply to: Anyafaj

Well good thing the SAS and Navy SEALS are the most highly skilled and trained operational forces on the planet.

No offence to these fine organizations but what we need is the likes of Force Recon, Army Rangers ect. Or some sort of Special Regiment azz kickers. Blunt Force Trauma. Seep and clear, seek and destroy missions. Tank with flame thrower back up.

posted on Feb, 21 2015 @ 03:06 AM
link   
a reply to: Logarock

Well no offence to either of those organisations but they aren't fit to lace the boots of the regiment you just discounted. The selection process for the rangers has been compared to the basic infantry cadre course the parachute regiment carries out for promotion to lance jack. And I'd love to hear you try and tell that to someone who has went through BUD/S.
edit on 5031642 by sg1642 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join