It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Vermont High Schoolers Just Destroy Fox News About The Ethics Of Journalism

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 17 2015 @ 04:44 PM
link   
Hunter Thompson came to my college in 1980. He lectured about how politicians and the media were crooked and dishonest. Everyone pretty much agreed.

Thirty-five years later, we're seeing a repeat of the same damn thing. The same scene. I don't think it's so wonderful and amazing that young people are questioning the mainstream media. That should be a given. I think it's sad that young people aren't more sophisticated and discerning, especially in light of the info they have at their fingertips. They should be a quantum leap beyond worrying about this "FOX is unethical" crap. They shouldn't be wasting their precious time fussing about O'Reilly and Watters.

They should be exploring the realms of unimaginable knowlege and power that lay before them.

posted on Feb, 17 2015 @ 05:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Spider879

Maybe if these young people are so gosh darn concerned about ethics and integrity they would also look at.....CNN,MSNBC,PBS,BBC,CBS,ABC.

I bet they have a liberal progressive teacher with sketchy ethics and integrity guiding these foolish young minds in the direction they want. Oh to be young and stupid again. Selective integrity is not real integrity.
edit on 17-2-2015 by SubTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2015 @ 05:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: SubTruth

Maybe if these young people are so gosh darn concerned about ethics and integrity they would also look at.....CNN,MSNBC,PBS,BBC,CBS,ABC.

I bet they have a liberal progressive teacher with sketchy ethics and integrity guiding these foolish young minds in the direction they want. Oh to be young and stupid again. Selective integrity is not real integrity.

Faux News is a good place to start. It's not like they are writing a dissertation, they are high school kids, and are going after low hanging fruit.

posted on Feb, 17 2015 @ 05:39 PM
link   
a reply to: v1rtu0s0

Do not get me wrong they are all scum bags in my eyes.........I will say it again selective integrity is not real integrity. This whole thing was pointed for a reason and sadly makes everything they say questionable.

So what if FOX news went bankrupt we still have other PTB propaganda outlets pushing the same crap. Ya it might be pointed at a different audience but it is still lies.

posted on Feb, 17 2015 @ 05:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: Flatfish
When they go to court to fight for the right to fire employees who won't lie for them on air.

This is what Fox News did and seeing how I can't think of another news source that has literally fought for and won the right to lie to it's viewers, it kinda makes them different in my book.

Brian Williams lied and it would appear that his network is in the process of letting him go. If that were Fox News, they'd be taking him to court in order to force him to continue doing so. Do you see the difference?

ETA; I meant to say "disingenuous" in my previous post but my "smart" phone corrected me and I didn't notice it.

I thought you probably meant disingenuous. Smart phones have their own slant too

If news networks have to go to court to lie to their viewers I expect to hear of more cases soon.

posted on Feb, 17 2015 @ 05:45 PM
link   

With all those hot blonde cougars....mmmm

Just be sure to press the mute button.

posted on Feb, 17 2015 @ 06:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ksihkehe

originally posted by: Flatfish
When they go to court to fight for the right to fire employees who won't lie for them on air.

This is what Fox News did and seeing how I can't think of another news source that has literally fought for and won the right to lie to it's viewers, it kinda makes them different in my book.

Brian Williams lied and it would appear that his network is in the process of letting him go. If that were Fox News, they'd be taking him to court in order to force him to continue doing so. Do you see the difference?

ETA; I meant to say "disingenuous" in my previous post but my "smart" phone corrected me and I didn't notice it.

If news networks have to go to court to lie to their viewers I expect to hear of more cases soon.

The really disgusting part about it is the fact that when Fox News did it, (2003 I think) they were trying to force their journalist to lie for Monsanto. Go figure!

posted on Feb, 17 2015 @ 07:25 PM
link   
Vermont is what it is. Fox is what it is. O'Reilly is an agent of the Matrix and he preaches to an audience that refused to see the truth.

posted on Feb, 17 2015 @ 07:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: rupertg

I bet the casting couch has a lot of blonde hairs on it?

posted on Feb, 17 2015 @ 07:34 PM
link   
a reply to: pheonix358

It goes to show that many young Americans are aware and are willing to do something about it.

The internet helped with that and that is why politicians and corporations are trying undo net neutrality. They wan't content ,discussions, and debates controlled.

With that said, anyone who doesn't see the conflict of interest between the MSM ,politicians, and Oligopolies and expects unbiased journalism , is equally at fault. We are well on the way to idiocracy .

posted on Feb, 17 2015 @ 08:19 PM
link   
Aside from the expected fool's gallery inhabitants shouting "journalism is dead," there are honest, smart folks still involved in journalism.

It's always vitally important that unbiased information dissemination (and analysis and even informed editorial opinion as long as its labelled as such) be presented for, and to, an informed public, and it IS rarer now due to people gravitating to info sources that are tailored to their existing expectations and the public generally demanding more entertainment than reliable information.

That said, news papers and network news sources are still trying to do their jobs... despite money going elsewhere.

That said, being as totally fair and objective in my assessment as is humanly possible... FOX News is antithetical to journalism and is a rancid cesspool of jingoistic, unthinking propaganda and stupid diversion.

But the cynics at FOX are right about one thing... most people are, indeed, willfully ignorant and simple minded, and thus deserve the society they are getting.

eta... but the kids at that high school are obviously getting good instruction on not only journalism, but how to think well, and are already thus on their way to improving journalism in this country. We need it... badly... and we even have it... our job is to actually absorb it, and for political information, especially, we need to be exposed to the information that goes against our expectations... to gain perspective.
edit on 2/17/2015 by Baddogma because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2015 @ 08:47 PM
link   
The journalist of today are the people themselves and yourself thanks to the internet.

IMO the comments sections of news articles are far more revealing than the news sources themselves. The people streaming channels are far more unbiased and unfiltered than the MSM streams when it comes to embed journalism in my book.

I also stay away from the sites that disable comments on their articles, Notice the trend of how many MSM sites now disable comments.

However, the one caveat is you have to do your part and do some leg work yourself to get to the truth.

posted on Feb, 17 2015 @ 09:03 PM
link   
a reply to: MystikMushroom

Sadly, that's just the thing: with the birth of the 24/7 news channel it had to become infotainment of sorts. They have to fill the time with something.

And even if they have little to nothing to report they have to fill that time and *find* something to say to keep people tuned, hence the infotainment charade disguised as *news* we have now.

It's really sad, actually. And most of this is not true journalism, regardless of what they claim. People confuse pundits with journalists—on all 24/7 channels.

posted on Feb, 17 2015 @ 09:16 PM
link   
a reply to: ColeYounger

That's funny: a journalist calling journalists dishonest and crooked.

Journalists are *supposed* to be the gatekeepers and the purveyors of truth by rightfully informing the population (Key phrase "supposed to be"). Sadly, most have lost their ways (and it goes down to the 24/7 news cycle and partisan egos saying what they are told to say (such as Oreilly, Olbermann, etc). Williams seems to have just gotten completely lost in his own ego and image and lost sight of his duty.

I do believe there is good, mostly objective and honest journalism out there, it's just RARE (or gets corrupted), and doesn't get the attention it should. Williams got corrupted by the spotlight. Cooper could be a great journalist but he just has too much at stake in the name of the network so he's deluded and stuck, like Williams. ABC World News is a Campbell soup version of BS (even if mostly objective, just carefully selected stories) fed to families at the right evening hour.

Personally, I like Stephanopoulos as a real, mostly objective journalist. The NYT, while left leaning, and having been caught with its own questionable articles, is actually pretty decent and objective, if you read it.

edit on 17-2-2015 by Liquesence because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2015 @ 09:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: HUMBLEONE

originally posted by: rupertg

I bet the casting couch has a lot of blonde hairs on it?

I'll take that bet. Look at their roots there's not a natural blonde in the bunch. Also since when are men called cougars?
edit on 17-2-2015 by buster2010 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2015 @ 09:40 PM
link   

I am guessing you didn't realize the reason for the video aimed at FOX.

You see the crap infotainment piece by FOX that those kids were dissecting just happened to be a piece about the kids hometown.

So you see it makes no sense at all for you to complain that they didn't go after some other network. Those young minds were not being foolish. I do think it was a bit foolish to complain about them because you didn't comprehend the clear reasoning they stated.

edit on 17-2-2015 by Grimpachi because: nah

posted on Feb, 17 2015 @ 10:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Grimpachi

I am 1000% for them calling out FOX news. FOX news is run by scum bag filth of the highest order. But I hate one sided arguments when the entire mainstream media system is controlled by the ruling elite..............

Does this clear up my views on FOX news ? This is wide spread and you had better believe these kids and the teacher are pushing a liberal viewpoint. I bet if you asked them they would think CNN,MSNBC are the honest news outlets. It is time to call things for what they really are. Even foolish liberals need to see the world for what it really is.

posted on Feb, 17 2015 @ 10:23 PM
link   
a reply to: SubTruth

Let me explain this a little clearer for you.

FOX did an assassination piece on the place they live they didn't like that so they made a video in response to FOX.

If CNN or MSMBC had attacked the place where they reside then it would make sense for them to be attacked back.

Take your left/right blinders off. You wished to be young and stupid again if you don't understand the basic reasoning FOX was singled out you may already have half your wish comes true.

posted on Feb, 17 2015 @ 11:43 PM
link   
These pseudo-intelletual, smarmy teenagers are just as bad as the news network they vilify. How much do you want to bet that their journalism teacher has an axe to grind against Fox News? Furthermore, when do you ever see kids like this attacking left-leaning networks like MSNBC? Hmmm? Oh, they haven't? Shocker. Why should we be surprised? Surveys show that journalists are overwhelmingly left-leaning in their politics. Why isn't this discussed more? After all, they're the ones reporting the news. In a very real way, they shape our perspective on the world. Sounds like a bunch of butt-hurt lefties who are disappointed that their ideology isn't saturating the public at a rate of 100%. Boo hoo!

posted on Feb, 18 2015 @ 12:00 AM
link   

This. I'd like to see someone take a poll in class and determine the political leanings of the journalism students. Nationally, only 7% of journalists identify themselves as Republican. Should we be surprised?

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join