It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"THOU SHALT NOT JUDGE" There is a major confusion with this statement.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 15 2015 @ 08:45 PM
link   
a reply to: TruthSeekerKnight

You should probably believe Biblical translations that are recognized by religious historians as accurate translations.

Why would you believe in a translation you once read, of which you don't even recall which translation it was??

That's rather absurd.
edit on 15-2-2015 by Lucid Lunacy because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2015 @ 09:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: randyvs
a reply to: windword

Where in the Bible is the commandment "Thou Shall Not Judge"?

Definitely a misquote. Mathew 7:1 says," Judge not lest ye be judged "

Yeah. Seems more like advice that turned into an adage, than a commandment, in my opinion. Like, "You will reap what you sow".

posted on Feb, 15 2015 @ 09:49 PM
link   
www.renewamerica.com...

For the OP & Christians.

"The misunderstood 11th commandment: thou shalt not judge"!

Haven't read it all, just a brief glance...
But it seems to be related to/an answer to the OP's premise/query.

posted on Feb, 15 2015 @ 10:19 PM
link   
a reply to: TruthSeekerKnight

IMO opinion, you are absolutely to discern for yourself.

Where you are not to judge is to judge the totality of another. Only God can do that. That means it's not for you to tell them they're going to Hell. You simply don't know. And even when it comes to "the way, the truth, and the light," I still say there is always the chance that the non-believer could manage to live a perfectly righteous life in God's eyes according to the law.

Or there may be a mystery that inclines the heart toward Christ without an individual being aware of it.

None of us truly knows.

The best any of us can say is that we know you must somehow have belief in Him to be forgiven and saved ... but how God interprets or what He fully means by it ...? We are talking about an entity whose mind does not work like ours.

But yes, you can discern for yourself and to that end, we have what guidance was left in Christ's words and God's. Christ even said He was The Word, meaning God's direct voice. So I look at what He said and try to guide myself with that, and if someone else is damaging, I will avoid them. And if someone gets upset at what I say even if it comes from the "horse's mouth" so-to-speak ... then I will still speak. Sometimes, as a parent, I know that the most loving thing you can say is "No."

posted on Feb, 15 2015 @ 10:34 PM
link   

edit on 15-2-2015 by arpgme because: double post

link   
The Bible doesn't say thou SHALT not judge but it does warn that IF you judge then you will be judged and by the same standard you use to judge it will be used to judge you.
edit on 15-2-2015 by arpgme because: (no reason given)

link   

originally posted by: LittleByLittle
a reply to: Klassified

From my point of view that speck/plank of blindness in the eye can both be the subjective preference of a person and a reference to the third eye.

As with many of the ancient gnostic and/or spiritual texts, there is the obvious or surface meaning, and the deeper meanings for those who wish to venture beyond the shallow waters.

posted on Feb, 15 2015 @ 11:28 PM
link   
There is no conundrum. It's all a huge steaming pile of nonsense and buying into it in even a slight way is succumbing to childish and irrational superstitions.

Sorry if I find belief in the existence of your beloved omnipotent supernatural entity a bit pathetic, but it's a bit disgusting in this day and age and all that we know about the universe and life through science to still cling to these idiotic beliefs.

The bible is a useless document. Trying to use it in the modern age as any sort guide to living or enrichment of the species is completely impossible. That stupid book has been responsible for more deaths in human history than both the world wars combined and is directly responsible for the current state of affairs with the extremists with the balaclavas. The Christian religion itself spawned this abhorrent opposite reaction to it's rampant religious mania.

Sorry, but you people, the religious, have completely ruined this planet with your apathy, superstition, procrastinating, discriminating. ill-informed nonsense. Look at the mess the world is in! it's your #ing fault. Get off your arses and fix it instead of praying like primitive un-intelligent drones and expecting some non existant god to solve all your problems for you so you don't have to do it yourself or feel bad about your failures. God will fix it all for you wont he?

Muppets.

posted on Feb, 15 2015 @ 11:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: angus1745
Sorry if I find belief in the existence of your beloved omnipotent supernatural entity a bit pathetic, but it's a bit disgusting in this day and age and all that we know about the universe and life through science to still cling to these idiotic beliefs.

And yet many of the great minds who have built science into what it is today were quite religious...

posted on Feb, 16 2015 @ 01:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: TruthSeekerKnight
When I was growing up one of the 10 commandments was "Thou shalt not judge"...I believe it was the 6th.

I can not find it online but it was in my bible...

And it was exactly as I have it written.

Do I believe whats online or what was written in my bible...

Good grief.
The 10 commandments are in Exodus ch20. Look them up.
The sixth one is "do not commit adultery", and "thou shalt not judge" does not appear there at all.
We know that you don't believe what is written in your Bible. There would be no point in doing so if you don't even possess a copy, and all you've got to guide you is vague inaccurate memories.

posted on Feb, 16 2015 @ 03:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: TruthSeekerKnight
Before I start I want to point out. The bible SAYS Deuteronomy 4:2
Do not add to what I command you and do not subtract from it, but keep the commands of the LORD your God that I give you.

Now BY using the exact commandment "THOU SHALT NOT JUDGE." would mean we can not JUDGE WHAT IS GOOD OR EVIL.

End of story... To me it says "SHUT UP" because you opinion doesn't count.

I know everyone is going to try to twist this how ever they were taught BUT Who ever taught them disobeyed the commandment them-self and will be punished for it.

My next question is "Would this also take away part of our free-will ?"

Ok; ATS Lets debate this conundrum.

I am glad you brought this subject up because many here at ATS do not understand the difference between judgement and correction.

Christians are taught to correct one another when we see another commit a wrong. (Matthew 18:15-17, Titus 3:10-11, Galatians 6:1, 2 Thessalonians 3:15, 1 Timothy 5:20, 2 Timothy 3:16-17). There are many more examples throughout the bible.

So when you see someone at fault and you correct them, this is not judging and when looking for a definition it is easy to find one that can be twisted to your way of thinking BUT the definition of judgement based on religious values would mean judging one to either heaven or hell. So telling someone that homosexual activity is wrong is not judgement but simply making a correction (error in making a wrong decision), even if I quote the appropriate bible verse this is not judging. Telling that person he/she will go to hell for being a homosexual is judgement. Do you see the difference?

There is a BIG difference between correction and judging one another and many here at ATS do not know the difference because they love to argue and they don't like being told they are wrong.
edit on 16-2-2015 by DeathSlayer because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2015 @ 02:35 PM
link   
editied
edit on pm220152802America/ChicagoMon, 16 Feb 2015 14:41:03 -0600_2000000 by Another_Nut because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1   >>

join