It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Love is life's true purpose

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 15 2015 @ 09:48 AM
link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

Forgive and forget i don't have time for grudges life is waaayyyyy to short.

posted on Feb, 15 2015 @ 09:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: onequestion

Wise words! We also got of to a rocky start..now I look forward to your threads!

posted on Feb, 15 2015 @ 09:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12

originally posted by: onequestion

Wise words! We also got of to a rocky start..now I look forward to your threads!

Same goes to you Olaru.

posted on Feb, 15 2015 @ 10:21 AM
link   
I tend to agree with the OP,I think we would have a lifespan of only 10 years if learning to hate was our purpose. It`s easy to hate even children learn to hate at a very early age.
Learning to love and accept yourself and others just the way they are is very difficult and seems almost unnatural in a physical realm.
In a non physical realm hate would be a wasted emotion because there would be no way to express hate.
You can`t steal because there is nothing to steal, you can`t harm or kill because there is no physical body to kill or harm,you can`t intimidate or threaten because there is nothing physical to act out the threats on.
I think basically in a non physical realm you would have all this hate inside you with no way to express it or let it out.

Learning to love in a world of so much hate is truly a major achievement.

posted on Feb, 15 2015 @ 02:16 PM
link   
Yes, without mating. Mankind would not exist. Does not take a genius to figure that one out. Love a a vague term define by everyone differently.

posted on Feb, 15 2015 @ 02:41 PM
link   
a reply to: onequestion

Hello onequestion,

The purpose of life is a question I have pondered extensively, and I feel as though I can relate to your post somewhat, although I suspect we might differ greatly on the answer.

I too find myself running away from love, constantly. So in that sense I feel we suffer from the same affliction. I do not have a solution for this, as I am not even sure I understand why I do it myself.

But in regards to the purpose of life. I do think love might play a part in the system, but no in the manner you seem to be describing it. But looking closely at human nature, I have come to the conclusion that the gathering and exchange of information is fundamentally what we people do, and could hence be deduced to be a meaning of life.
Is a kiss not a symbol? Is a touch not a message? Whenever we humans interact with each other, we share our experiences, usually we do so verbally, but we can also convey information with out body language or our action. When we are alone we like to gather information, by reading a book, watching a movie, mastering an instrument (musically or otherwise), we enjoy self development - this makes us happy - and later sharing our new found information with our peers, makes us happy as well, be it via socialmedia or over a cup of coffee. We share our information so that others might validate that the time we spend gathering this information was worth while. This is also how culture and social institution start. We can fool our brains you see, if we meet up with a lot of people who either wear the same cloths as us, listen to the same music, back the same sports team, or believe in the same God, then we can share information about something that has no apparent hold in reality, and be confirmed in this information, and hence produce dopamin. Which is why religon is sometimes referred to as opium for the masses.

This is why lonliness, isolation, lack of freedom and autonomy are makes us depressed. Cause it disables us from gathering and sharing information. And information are many things as I have tried to explain. Information is memories, experiences, data, symbols, word, DNA, codes, feelings, thoughts. It is everything we do.

But I see no reason to believe that there is a pre determined purpose to life. I just think that this is how we have evolved, because it motivates us to share information, and hence increases our chances of survival.
edit on 06/06/12 by Mads1987 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2015 @ 02:55 PM
link   

I kind of almost run away from it. I don't know if any of you do this and know what I'm talking about. So for me I have to focus on experiencing love and accepting that feeling and that experience. It sounds funny saying that but it's the truth.

Fear of failure and fear of loss - pain avoidance

Once you accept loss as a constant you can free yourself up to experience the beauty in life

I have to relearn this lesson over and over again (in the interest of full disclosure)

:-)

posted on Feb, 15 2015 @ 03:24 PM
link   
i beg to differ, punishment is lifes true purpose.

posted on Feb, 15 2015 @ 03:34 PM
link   
To survive in the way of soul is life's true purpose
And that requires love in the sense of caring for all living beings and things

IMO

posted on Feb, 15 2015 @ 05:18 PM
link   
Might as well wander forty years in the desert looking for the promised land.

The purpose of life is unknown, there's your truth. Anyone who says otherwise is full of it, period.

posted on Feb, 15 2015 @ 09:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: RifRAAF
Yay, more "love" BS that is just another kick in the teeth for those of us unloved. Basically your telling me my life has no purpose!.

The nature of love is that you are given in return what you give. Try looking at others with love and it will be returned to you 10 fold.
edit on 2/16/2015 by yeahright because: Edit of quoted and subsequently deleted comment

posted on Feb, 15 2015 @ 11:28 PM
link   
Sorry, I don't know how much more of this lovey dovey fluffy ducky stuff I can take.

The world is full of crappy people trying to get rich while crapping over everyone else.

This fluffy stuff of returning 10 times is just pure nonsense.

If you find love ... good for you. Well done.

As for the majority, it is really a crap fest.

P

posted on Feb, 15 2015 @ 11:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: pheonix358
Sorry, I don't know how much more of this lovey dovey fluffy ducky stuff I can take.

The world is full of crappy people trying to get rich while crapping over everyone else.

If you find love ... good for you. Well done.

As for the majority, it is really a crap fest.

P

Totally could not have put it better myself.

posted on Feb, 16 2015 @ 02:29 AM
link   
As an insignificant pink monkey on an insignificant pale blue dot in a nothing-special solar system in the corner of a nowhere galaxy in an ever-expanding, maybe infinite, universe, I think the meaning of life...

...is exactly what you make it. Its a beautiful dangerous scary and amazing reality.

But that's just like my opinion, man.

posted on Feb, 16 2015 @ 03:06 AM
link   

Somehow I think that it is actually all pointless. And any point we find to it is one that we have sharpened with our own personal intellect and reasoning.

Though it is pointless, it does not mean that it is without weight. We carry with us heavy emotions. Love being one of them.

I believe out of all the things we can comprehend and know, love is one thing we can utilize to create a world with less suffering. This love, the type of love that is unconditional and is for our fellow man, as brother and sister; It is not the love of self worth, or the love of materialistic pursuits.

I think love is a powerful concept that moves in the direction of cooperation and for the betterment of all. Every heart has the potential of this type of love, but because of conditions arising, often this type of growth is snuffed out by the ravenous energies of greed and hate.

We can see though, that one end of that spectrum feeds the self, and in turn takes from our surroundings, draining and contorting the truth in all things as they are in their own true beautiful way. The other seeks to know and understand, accept and realize what it is that actually is always in contact with the deepest parts of ourselves.

If one is without love in their life, seek to find it within yourself, not by feeding yourself more greed and delusion, but by finding a way to accept yourself as you are, and from there building a steady foundation in which to get to know yourself and understand yourself. In this method we can learn how to be forgiving of ourselves, compassionate of ourselves, and in turn develop the personal skills to be able to live a life rich in experience of the miracle that actually is happening all the time around us, instead of being caught up in our false notions and expectations of what life is and should be according to our deluded, scared, misled selves.

If we are to inquire into the aspirations of our deep selves, we will see that the body and the mind seek peace. Often times we come in contact with a part of this deep peace by way of experiences that never last, whether it be the love felt in a moment with a significant other, or that of a psychedelic experience on some substance that gives you an altered perception and understanding of yourself and surroundings for a moment. But all these things are not fixed, and as they inevitably come and go, so does our peace come and go with them.

A type of unconditional love for self and others which brings a deep and centered peace is actually unaltered, unfettered, it has no defilement, no extra qualities attached by expectation or conditioned reasoning. It is radiant and accepting, but this is a catch 22, because in its acceptance it gets caught up in the very thing it is contemplating. But we can become mindful of this, we can learn to flow, and from this flow we can become keen and wise to what actually is happening within ourselves. This type of mindfulness is the anchor in which we can keep ourselves centered in this type of peace and love.

There are many things to hunger for, but it takes a hungry man to find a piece of food desirable and delicious. Hungers will always return. Hungers are created by defilement. In eradicating defilement we will find no hunger, but instead a steady out pour in which we can sustain ourselves and become a betterment to the world around us.

posted on Feb, 16 2015 @ 04:21 AM
link   
a reply to: pheonix358

I am sorry you feel this way ... I am sure you find that many who speak of love are far from delusional or fluffy etc
What you might find is ... In a world "Going to hell in a hand basket" that there are those who will treat you with respect and caring ... we are all in this together.

No one is denying that ... If people were more caring of one another it would not be this way

Who knows what the statistic is ... If you plant a seed and nurture the plant that grows from that will contain countless more seeds for the continence of that particular plant ...

If you go about life thinking everything and everyone are crappy that is what you will find ... In a way we are alone whether we are with another/s or not ... An act of kindness with no ulterior motive can lift another's day ... The world is the way it is because there are not enough people who care about their fellow beings ... The world is full of selfish people ... but you don't have to join them

edit on 16-2-2015 by artistpoet because: Typo

posted on Feb, 17 2015 @ 06:04 AM
link   
Ahhhh such a loving world you live in!. Facebook (not any mutual friends I have with this guy, as some I alerted it to) told me today of the identity of someone brutally murdered... This was someone I knew since a teenager, they had their issues but they never had the opportunitys many take for granted. Kid (to me he will always be a kid) was cut up and dumped in a river

www.heraldsun.com.au... y-fni0fee2-1227222939398

Do you think LOVE is the whole point in life when you come home to this sort of #?

Get your heads out of the sand, the world is FULL of evil; love will not defeat evil, only GOOD can defeat evil and GOOD is not LOVE.

Love is selfish. When you learn that, you will be a better person.

posted on Feb, 17 2015 @ 06:14 AM
link   

The purpose of life is to continue life and for that life to evolve to its environment to survive. "Love" is an evolutionary by product to aid in obtaining this purpose.

We will need to leave and colonize space to continue the life originated on Earth. Man kind is Earths current best shot at survival of her spawn. We have to actually evolve though and instead of working toward moving off Earth we fight over her. Mankind may fail but perhaps she will produce additional children that can reach out and away if we fail, as we seem destined to do.

posted on Feb, 17 2015 @ 08:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: RifRAAF

Love is selfish. When you learn that, you will be a better person.

No, attachment is selfish. Attachment is the dark side of love.

Yeah, the world is full of evil, suffering, hate. But it's only temporary. Someday the world will be gone like a dream that we wake up from. Like a cosmic dream. The hate will fade away like an illusion but the love will remain, because only love (and by extension, lovers) can get a foothold in eternity.

Whatever is temporary is, ultimately, illusory. Whatever is eternal is real. Love is eternal, evil is not.

👣

edit on 665TuesdayuAmerica/ChicagoFebuTuesdayAmerica/Chicago by BlueMule because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2015 @ 09:01 AM
link   
Infinate love is all around us meditate on it and we can reach it.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join