It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Susana Martinez for President in 2016

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 13 2015 @ 12:01 PM
link   
Would Susana Martinez be the smartest choice to run against Hillary in 2016?

She would be the first woman president, which is what many who know Hillary is corrupt and incompetent say is her best asset.

She is also Hispanic.

With amnesty being designed to allow Hispanics to register to vote through motor voter, with no way to check their legal status to vote. Would not a Hispanic be a good choice.

That aside she would be the first Hispanic President.

For the many people who have trumpeted Hillary mainly on the historic importance - based on first woman president,
Susana Martinez trumps that with also being the first Hispanic President.

What do ya'll know about her? Would she be a good choice?

posted on Feb, 13 2015 @ 12:07 PM
link   
a reply to: grandmakdw

I don't want any one just because they are a first.I don't want them because of their sex,race,religion or anything else. I want someone because of their track record. Something that can prove how they will run things. Nothing else matters.

posted on Feb, 13 2015 @ 12:07 PM
link   
You think the Republicans are going to let a Hispanic woman get the nod to run for president?

posted on Feb, 13 2015 @ 12:26 PM
link   
She is my governor.

She thinks people should vote to either grant or deny gays the right to marry. But she supports an amendment to deny it.
She wants to reinstate the death penalty.
She strongly opposes marriage equality, marijuana legalization, abortion, a pathway to citizenship for immigrants and wants to expand the military.

Source

So, no. I don't think she'd make a good president at all.

originally posted by: buster2010
You think the Republicans are going to let a Hispanic woman get the nod to run for president?

If they think her race and gender can win, you bet they are.

posted on Feb, 13 2015 @ 12:33 PM
link   
I agree with others here....1st woman, 1st Hispanic, as nice as that may be in a "feel good" kinda way, it's not criteria for a President, in fact we have precedent for that type of candidate in the office right now, opinions very on the efficacy of that administration. (nobody needs to turn this, into the millionth of those kinda threads
)

posted on Feb, 13 2015 @ 12:47 PM
link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

Well at least we know what she stands for, that's more than I can say about other candidates.

posted on Feb, 13 2015 @ 12:55 PM
link   
a reply to: grandmakdw

"They" already know who will be the next president if we have a next....If WW3 breaks out and Obama is supreme overlord, this point will be moot....But having said that, nobody, YES that includes us, matters in the grand scheme....If you think your vote actually matters, you are already behind in knowledge of presidential elections...

posted on Feb, 13 2015 @ 01:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: grandmakdw
Would Susana Martinez be the smartest choice to run against Hillary in 2016?

She would be the first woman president, which is what many who know Hillary is corrupt and incompetent say is her best asset.

She is also Hispanic.

With amnesty being designed to allow Hispanics to register to vote through motor voter, with no way to check their legal status to vote. Would not a Hispanic be a good choice.

That aside she would be the first Hispanic President.

For the many people who have trumpeted Hillary mainly on the historic importance - based on first woman president,
Susana Martinez trumps that with also being the first Hispanic President.

What do ya'll know about her? Would she be a good choice?

I think that's a great idea, except for the fact that she's an establishment "Republican", whatever that really means anymore. But best of all, she's Hispanic. The future of this country is with the Hispanics so its about time for them to takeover, as it were.

posted on Feb, 13 2015 @ 01:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: Benevolent Heretic
She is my governor.

She thinks people should vote to either grant or deny gays the right to marry. But she supports an amendment to deny it.
She strongly opposes marriage equality, marijuana legalization, abortion, a pathway to citizenship for immigrants and wants to expand the military.

Source

Same here, she is my gov too.

I totally agree with you.

The way she got elected was based on race and location.

She wasnt born in NM, shes from Texas. This is very important to some native New Mexicans. She played up, " Im from Las Cruces" bit.

Now here is where "race" comes to play.

I was born and raised here in NM. I grew up knowing race and culture plays a huge part here. "Hispanics" in NM traditionaly vote Dem. You are raised this way. Traditionally, they run on the Dem platform. So for some native "Hispanic" voters, they will vote for someone with a Spanish last name on that basis alone.

Now, there is another type of New Mexican, the first generation Mexican American New Mexican. They will vote the same way, alot of them are still in the "struggle" and have learned from their parents to only ask for help from other "Hispanics". Susana Martinez, hhhhhmmm " Martinez"..

"I'll vote for her, eh."

Thats if they even vote.

Race does play a role here in NM. Especially with the "First Families" of NM. They take pride of their "Spanish" heritage. They are different than the "Mexican" New Mexicans.
They dont look like them, they do not share the same culture.

But the "Spanish" last name goes far in the Land of Enchantment.

posted on Feb, 13 2015 @ 01:55 PM
link   
Oh, and I hate, HATE!! The "Hispanic" race card. To me, they act like being "hispanic" is like being "retarded".

" Hispanics" have been running things in NM for 400 years.

posted on Feb, 13 2015 @ 02:16 PM
link   
I don't think anyone makes a good candidate just because of their race, religion or gender. This is important to the media, but has no bearing on the competence of the individual in question.

My problem with Ms. Martinez and the candidates from both parties is they always run on platforms that wants to attack people on the other side. I support freedom of choice and freedom from Government which is something neither party seems to want to give us.

posted on Feb, 13 2015 @ 05:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: Benevolent Heretic
She is my governor.

Source

Thanks for the input! I had no idea what her leanings were.

That was what I was asking.

I think that the Republicans would let a Hispanic Woman run for president if they thought it would be a winner.

She probably has a good chance if there are no skeletons in her closet.

Hispanics are generally fairly conservative and deeply religious,
both of which don't mix with the Democratic party in the long run.

In the short run Hispanics may feel they owe the Democrats something, but in the long run the religious and conservative leanings of Hispanics (my brother-in-law, and my much loved nephews are Hispanic) go better with the Republican party than the Democratic Party.

A conservative Hispanic would be a huge draw for the Hispanic community. A woman without a horndog spouse and the baggage of Hillary would more likely draw those who just want a woman, no matter what.

posted on Feb, 13 2015 @ 05:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus
I don't think anyone makes a good candidate just because of their race, religion or gender. This is important to the media, but has no bearing on the competence of the individual in question.

My problem with Ms. Martinez and the candidates from both parties is they always run on platforms that wants to attack people on the other side. I support freedom of choice and freedom from Government which is something neither party seems to want to give us.

I agree that race and gender should not be important.

However, the reality in this day of political correctness
having been drilled into the American psyche by liberals/progressives
and drilled into children by schools
and into the people running the country by colleges and universities
it is of #1 importance
to the majority of Americans because of the way political correctness has been drilled into us as the primary qualification for any office.

posted on Feb, 13 2015 @ 05:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

Question.

How has the economy done under her leadership? better/worse/stagnant

What is her stand on immigration? Has she been proactive about border security?

How has the budget of the state done under her?

I guess I could look this up, but asking someone who lives there will give me a better perspective on how people feel it is doing rather than the stats.

Perception is reality, when it comes to politics.

posted on Feb, 13 2015 @ 11:18 PM
link   
Anyone concerned about public schools needs to check Martinez's record in that area before supporting her. She brought in a woman named Hannah Skandera to run the Public Education Department . Hannah Skandera had a similar job in Florida. What followed was the institution of the Common Core, developed by the Southern Regional Education Board , of which Florida was a founding member . A company named High Schools That Work is being paid millions of dollars to help many high schools meet the Common Core Standards. They are fully embedded in the Public Education Department. NM students are required to pass the PARCC exam, related to the Common Core Stnadards. Until recently, Florida had economic oversight of the PARCC exam program. NM students are tested on progress three times a year, and PARCC testing contains three sections of English and two of math, spread over the entire month of March. Passing the PARCC is required for high school gradation. In addition to that, the state requires students to pass End of Year and End of Course exams based on the recommendations of High Schools That Work. in order to pass the state evaluation, a school must have 95% of its students take the PARCC, otherwise it iautomaticallly fails. Until recently Florida had financial oversight of the PARCC exam. In addition to this, Martinez has also instituted a new teacher evaluation system . Under the new system 50% of the teacher's evaluation is based on student test scores. Public education in NM was in bad shape before, but IMHO, Martinez has made it worse, and I still can't figure out the why Florida is so heavily influencing education in NM.
edit on 2/13/2015 by Pillywiggin because: spellling

posted on Feb, 17 2015 @ 10:37 AM
link   
I am going to stand firm,

with the liberals/progressives point to Hillary's gender as her primary qualification for President

and the same liberals/progressives pointed to Obama's race as his primary qualification for President

The best choice to fight the liberals/progressives rationalizations as to why a person is qualified

Ms. Martinez holds both of the qualifications the Democratic Party holds so dear.

She is female, she is hispanic, and none of our past Presidents have been either, she would
be a twofer in getting votes from the weirdos /idiots who think race and gender should be
the #1 factor in electing a president.

Also, many of the replies from New Mexico show she also has the primary qualifications
that many Republicans desire
a strong conservative stance for the majority of issues (not all, but enough)

top topics

join