It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U boat U-123

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 05:09 PM
link   
Not sure if this is the right place for a topic like this,but as there isn't a relevant forum I can find,I'll put it here for now.

A new found interest of mine is world war relics that have been left where they fell as a tribute to those that died while operating them. I'm off to the hills and mountains of South Wales this summer for a bit of exercise and to take photos of what's been left behind there,in particular Wellington MF509 on the Brecon beacons.
I've only ever really thought about aircraft up to now,thinking that any maritime wrecks would have rusted away into oblivion by now. I was randomly browsing Google maps as you do and came across some photos of this......

It's U boat U-123 and has been there since 1921 when it ran aground while on it's way to be broken up after it's crew surrendered in 1918. It's on the south side of the Isle of Grain in Kent,and is about 1 1/2 miles north east of Kingsnorth power station........

U- 123 on Google earth

Now the bizarre thing is I used to go jetskiing from Gillingham and have been past this on quite a few occasions (not that close into the shore though).A couple of years ago I was on the Isle of Grain to visit the Grain battery and Cliffe fort,and drove along the road that runs right past it,again without seeing it.

I no longer have access to any sort of boat,so will need to get to it on foot.So a question to anyone on here that's either visited U-123 or has good local knowledge.Can it be safely reached on foot at low tide (yes I know how long the tide takes to come in and goes out,in particular how quickly it comes in along river estuaries like this)? I see on various different dates on Google Earth that it is above the the low tide mark,but some people do visit it at high tide by kayak or other small boats.Am I going to end up stuck in mud as these places seem to be made from,or will it be safe to do what I'm planning as long as I'm careful where I walk? Oh and it's in 'Humble Bee Creek' which is a pretty cool place name for England.

There are apparently a couple more not too far away,so will need to do some more research on them.

posted on Feb, 17 2015 @ 06:08 PM
link   
A quick bump for this one if anyone can help please.

join