It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The struggle of tinnitus

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 16 2015 @ 12:19 AM
link   
I like to think (pure speculation) that when having hearing loss in specific band (like high frequency), the brain crankup the gain in a deseperate effort to get back what it lost, then the lost band express themself as the high pitched tinitus. Also the lower band (low frequency) are also excessivly amplified, but since the hearing loss is not there, it make the sufferer excessivly sensitive to lower frequency (bass).

posted on Feb, 16 2015 @ 02:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: PeterMcFly
I like to think (pure speculation) that when having hearing loss in specific band (like high frequency), the brain crankup the gain in a deseperate effort to get back what it lost, then the lost band express themself as the high pitched tinitus.

The audiologist told me I've got normal post 40 high end loss, but the biggest issue was a handful of notches in my middle range on the right caused by gunfire and explosions I wasn't far enough from and no hearing protection.

As you speculate, he told me that my brain had spotted the loss in the right ear and was trying to compensate by turning up the gain in the high range, but instead of fixing anything it was just amplifying noise in the dead upper bands. Thus the constant 'eeEEEeeEEEeeEEEeeEEE' in my right ear. They say a properly tuned hearing aid would pacify my brain and reduce the constant violin noise. Also, if I understood it right, the hearing aid itself can run a tinnitus program to sort of numb out the lossy areas for a bit if I've got a few minutes to run it.

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 03:43 AM
link   
THIS is exactly what mine sounds like:

Then I found the following video with various other forms of tinnitus sounds:

Which does yours sound like?
edit on 26-2-2015 by Bloodydagger because: (no reason given)

<< 2  3  4   >>

join