It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Grandfather visiting AL from India left temporarily paralyzed after stopped by police during a walk

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 05:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: rockintitz
a reply to: Sremmos80

That's a good point.

Let's make the douchebag who called for a BS cause 50% responsible.

I'm cool with that.

Actually we would have to make the government responsible also. "If you see something....say something".

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 05:13 AM
link   
a reply to: MrWendal

said it much better than I did.

The callers are not the ones that escalate to force in an instant.

For example Tamir Rice. The caller even said he thought the gun to be a toy but the cops went in and gave a 12 year old 0.66 seconds to decide what to do before being shot.

Is that the caller's fault too?
edit on 12-2-2015 by IslandOfMisfitToys because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 07:09 AM
link   
Want someone dead??? No need to pay an assasin these days, Just report them as suspicious!!! The police will take care of the problem for ya!!!

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 07:17 AM
link   
surely the cop was just doing his job.

Training in the US seems to go like this:

Here is a badge, here is a gun. Go out kill Bad, black and Brown people. USA USA USA!

/sarcasm.

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 07:41 AM
link   
a reply to: Anyafaj

I get the cops called on me all the time because of my job. Sometimes the people call the cops even after they know why I am where I am. Its always a waste of the cops time and I always tell the cop he should arrest the caller because the caller knew I wasn't doing anything wrong, but they just want to be sure Im not stealing from a burned down house. Imagine if I had a turbin and brown skin, that would really trip them out.

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 07:47 AM
link   
get the name of the informant , they and the thug of an officer should be the ones that should pay compensation to this victim .

there will be no deterrent from committing these crimes against the innocent persons if it is not they that have to pay any compensation , plus any officer that oversteps their bounds in such a way should be prevented from ever holding any office of a like nature ever again .

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 07:51 AM
link   
a reply to: IslandOfMisfitToys

here ya go,

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 07:54 AM
link   

not speaking English , what about if he was a deaf and dumb person ?.

in the army they used to call this dumb insolence if you did not reply but i don't think they would beat the hell out of you .

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 08:40 AM
link   

Send the hospital invoice to PD, accompanied by a law suit for the officers for a hefty compensation for unnecessary causing pain and suffering.

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 11:13 AM
link   
Come now, people.

Madison's IA will decide that both officers followed appropriate policy. And the DA will nol pros. Because that's how the system works.

In order to get their attention, they would have had to attack a politician, judge, another cop, or someone with serious political clout. Or there would have to be enough of a reaction in the community that the DA fears loss of re-election more than he does the cops and the police union.

If, for example, they'd dry gulched Olin King back when he was still alive, the cops involved would be tied between two cop cars and the DA would have chopped their limbs off with a machete live on WHNT, then their twitching torsos would be burned by the mayor and the police chief. Because nothing would have prevented Olin from having the jobs of everyone in city government in retribution, and they knew it.

Some grampa from India? Pfft. No pushbacks. The cops won't even get a letter in their personnel jackets. Once the internet hooha dies down, this will be over.

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 11:18 AM
link   
What angers m most about this, is he tried to tell officers where he was staying. Instead of officers knocking on that door and confirming, "Do you know this man?" They beat the holy heck out of him to the point where he may never be the same again. If he WAS looking into garages, which I doubt, but, if he was, they could have told his son, to please see to it that he keep him out of trouble. And of course the police wish him a speedy recovery! They want to get sued for someone who used to be injured, not someone with permanent injuries. It would probably mean less damages.

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 11:48 AM
link   
I, personally, would like to hear the 911 recording of the initial call. It could shed some light on the spark for this fire too.

• How did the 911 dispatcher handle the call?
  • Did the 911 dispatcher ask what the person being reported was doing at the time?
  • Did the 911 dispatcher ask why the caller thought it was suspicious?
  • Did the caller report the skin color voluntarily, or in response to a request by the dispatcher for a description?

This information is critical in any investigation on how this transpired from the start. Important things such as, who/where did the escalation begin? IF it was determined the officer on the scene independently escalated the situation, then damned straight he is 100% responsible, and should be held accountable as such.

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 12:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Krakatoa

Yes, all of this.

That call is really important to me as well.

I don't think we will hear it though :/

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 12:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sremmos80

Wooow.
Some pretty weak stuff here. All comes back to a caller that decided to put in a call about a person that may have been false leading to the mistreatment of a person.

Sure doesn't help that he doesn't speak English.

Wait...... What? Are you seriously implying the fault here can be attributed to the caller and the victim not speaking english? First off, I doubt he even lives in the US full time, the story mentions he was here to help his son and his sons wife with a small child while the son finished his degree, second.... No english is not a warrant to harass, assault and victimize.

A private citizen has the right to inform police of whatever they feel is appropriate (Although I never would) and it then becomes the police officers sole responsibility to ascertain the situation in the most professional manner possible. That is what their job is, they exist to serve the community in which they work. They do not exist to serve their own ego or to use citizens to act out their misplaced anger issues.

This incident is disgusting on many levels but it clearly underlines the bigger problem we all face in the ongoing militarization of our domestic police force. That any officer would think this is acceptable is very telling of what training or lack of training they are currently being given.

The problem is from the top down and things will not get better until they are trained properly from day one, on the job. Uphold law, serve and protect in the community in which you work and be a good person. Not all cops are like this one but FAR too many are and even worse, far too many.
edit on 12-2-2015 by Helious because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 12:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Helious

No I am not, I guess I just worded that statement wrong.

Completely the fault of the cops yes, my point was that the caller does have some fault as well.

Why does she not? She is the one that called the hounds on this guy and possibly lied to the cops about his actions.
Lots of cases seem to always come down to "well the initial call was x" and they use that to justify the response

And the english part was just a simple statement that him not speaking english did not help the situation by any means.

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 03:13 PM
link   
Thanks for some of the replies, I had a feeling that some of you would not like what I had to say and that's ok. Unfortunately I am leaving for work right now, but give me about 10 hours or so and I will be happy to further explain my position and answer the direct questions put to me.

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 03:31 PM
link   

This is sad...right in my hometown. This is not "typical" alabama either. This is a very mixed-race tech hub, upper middle class town full of engineers. Indians are not a rarity, much less "suspicious". This cop just needs to be permanently un-copped and charged with felony assault.

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 03:50 PM
link   

Completely the fault of the cops yes, my point was that the caller does have some fault as well.

Why does she not? She is the one that called the hounds on this guy and possibly lied to the cops about his actions.
Lots of cases seem to always come down to "well the initial call was x" and they use that to justify the response

The caller is at fault for being a paranoid, cowardly twit I suppose but that's not a crime and many people to my disgust are just like that. For me, the officers who responded to that call are 100% to blame and I'm sure being an officer you get calls like this on a daily basis so to a rational person (me & you) it would seem to make logical sense that the outcome to one of these calls against a citizen who was committing no crime, endangering no one, not even himself wouldn't be be senseless brutalization that results in paralysis and hospitalization.

Now, with all that said, I would have a couple of choice names I'd like to use to describe the caller and people like them but I'm sure you can guess what they would be.
As for the rest of your post, I agree.

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 04:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sremmos80
a reply to: pheonix358

How does this not get right back to the caller?

Totally the cops fault as well but that wouldn't of happened if some one one didnt call the cops about a man walking down the street.

I am tired of bs calls leading to cops doing 0 police work about the call and the people getting the short end of that stick.

And it wasn't a slam on the person not speaking english, just simply a statement that it didn't help.

Far from the person that thinks it is on you to speak English in this country

BS calls happen all the time. What shouldn't happen is a cop throwing on older man to the ground because he's walking in broad daylight. I'm guessing he felt the desire to "welcome" him to America, Alabama-style, thinking because he didn't speak English it would be easier to get away with. Maybe the racist cop doesn't know the difference between an Indian and a Mexican and figured he was an illegal he could abuse.

No idea really, I'm just waxing poetically here. Regardless, this incident should not have happened if the cop(s) had common decency, perhaps the first thing they should all be tested for.

Forget the idiot caller, the cops ability to show decency and assess a situation properly is the ultimate failure here.

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 04:15 PM
link   
a reply to: tom.farnhill
If your deaf no worries the Seattle PD will take you out.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join