It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is true 'friendship'?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 06:25 AM
link   
I look at friendship a little differently. I see it as my attitude towards others, not an 'exchange'. I treat people kind and be helpful, going that extra mile without asking. When called to help I surely do everything possible to help. However I expect nothing in return. I don't expect them to help if I need it. I don't expect secrecy. I don't expect their time. When I gave 'friendship' to them I did it because I enjoyed doing it, not for a future return value. Of course when I need help it is great to find it.

With this attitude some will try to take more 'friendship' than they truly need. I have to be mindful to make sure I am not enabling my friends poor decisions. While they might request a specific type of help I may very well think it would not be good for them and instead offer different help. This is being a responsible friend. It creates friction and ends traditional 'friendships' however I believe it is still the best way to be a friend.

Is it possible to be everyone's 'friend'...I sure hope so!

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 07:28 AM
link   
Proverbs 27:5-6

5. Open rebuke is better than secret love.
6. Faithful are the wounds of a friend; but the kisses of an enemy are deceitful.

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 07:30 AM
link   
I have found the true test of friendship: My best friend and I have very different political opinions and, yet, we respect each other so much that it does not come between us.

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 09:15 AM
link   
a reply to: funkadeliaaaa

To 1 subjectively a friend(s) is / are those who wont intentionally seek to bring or cause you harm, but at times may mistakenly do so. But if they are true friends they will try to fix the mistakes they made and apologize why through time confirming your friendship by not making the same mistakes again and if your their friend you will recognize the un-intentional mistakes made and forgive them.

1 also feels friends like to see their friends doing well and may encourage mental, physical, spiritual and social health activities and practices to help their friends to do so...

A friend will not deceive their friends in an attempt to misguide or take advantage of them and may take concern if its observed their friends are being deceived or taken advantage of.

These are some characteristics that 1 feels are present within some what may be considered healthy friendships, good thread OP as it can help some better understand who may not understand what friendship is

NAMASTE*******

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 09:23 AM
link   
Either true or false, friends are friends. It's all the company you keep.

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 09:18 PM
link   

For me, true friendship is the act of wanting to do something with someone, and actually doing it. Friendship is about giving up some of your time to be there for them. No strings attached - you or the other person do it simply because you want to rather than because you have to.

For example, I have a large amount of "friends" - but you know how many fall under the category of truly being a "friend"? 3 tops. These are people that call/text/email out of the blue, just to see how you are doing. These are also people that will spend time with you if you need it, and do their best to cheer you up when you are down. In short: These are the people that enjoy spending time with me.

-fossilera

posted on Feb, 13 2015 @ 01:14 AM
link   

That is because when one makes friends they step out and connect to others, as opposed to joining an official "club" or organisation. Friends can start off as total strangers, something in common, a good laugh, and then something clicks and you are spending much of your time with them.

I find that I trust my friends, they have good principles and it is unlikely that they would betray me, as friends we are open with money and also help each other out, we also can talk about our personal lives without the fear that the information would be used against us.

Friends that you have had for a long time, have had experiences with you that last in your memory and you have associated much fun and enjoyment with them, friends do argue, however, it means that they are not afraid to challenge each other because they know that even after an argument, they still remain friends because of a certain "bond"...

As friends, we have fought, cried, and laughed together, we have also worked together, and basically we are familiar with each other to the extent that we know that we can trust one and other, and that, we can be ourselves because we do not need to put on a facade in order to be accepted - which occurs with social groups mostly, where there are "protocols" and "norms"...
edit on 13-2-2015 by SystemResistor because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join