It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Geoengineering would be 'irrational and irresponsible'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 11 2015 @ 07:53 PM
link   
From New Scientist no less.

Curbing global warming by shading Earth from the sun could be quick and cheap but also "irrational and irresponsible" without also cutting emissions and capturing carbon, says a report on geoengineering by the US National Academies

Now the worriers and scam artists might think this is a victory for their "activism" - but the truth is that REAL scientists have pretty much always been of this opinion - even the demonized David Keith thinks that it's fraught with problems -

The author of this so-called geoengineering scheme, David Keith, doesn’t want to implement it anytime soon, if ever. Much more research is needed to determine whether injecting sulfur into the stratosphere would have dangerous consequences such as disrupting precipitation patterns or further eating away the ozone layer that protects us from damaging ultraviolet radiation. Even thornier, in some ways, are the ethical and governance issues that surround geoengineering—questions about who should be allowed to do what and when.

Only the nutters are ignoring real science - real scientists don't - because they are real scientists!!

posted on Feb, 11 2015 @ 07:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Aloysius the Gaul

What's a "real scientist"?

Someone who toes the line of those of the academia world funded by their masters?

Sorry, but I will take the word of a private scientist over one funded by the government!

posted on Feb, 11 2015 @ 08:09 PM
link   
I'm sure that the people who would be doing this geo-engineering would disagree. Otherwise they won't make any money.

I personally do not think it will work very well, but I am not an expert that will be profiting by doing this so I guess I am not qualified to give an oppinion.
edit on 11-2-2015 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2015 @ 08:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: seeker1963

What's a "real scientist"?

Someone who toes the line of those of the academia world funded by their masters?

Sorry, but I will take the word of a private scientist over one funded by the government!

Perhaps it is someone that actually uses science, instead of relying on Youtube videos.

posted on Feb, 11 2015 @ 08:16 PM
link   
a reply to: seeker1963

Oh well that's OK then - "everyone knows" Keith is paid for by Bill Gates at Carbon Engineering...so that's private! And he's a professor at Harvard - and that is funded by private endowment too...so there you go - you will be trusting him

A "real scientist" is someone who does actually try their best to use the scientific method - as opposed to the charlatans that want you to believe in chemtrails so you will buy their snake oil

edit on 11-2-2015 by Aloysius the Gaul because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2015 @ 08:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aloysius the Gaul

Oh well that's OK then - "everyone knows" Keith is paid for by Bill Gates at Carbon Engineering...so that's private! And he's a professor at Harvard - and that is funded by private endowment too...so there you go - you will be trusting him

A "real scientist" is someone who does actually try their best to use the scientific method - as opposed to the charlatans that want you to believe in chemtrails so you will buy their snake oil

In a world full of lies and people who are willfully ignorant to believe in them, are YOU so willing to believe in those whom have contributed to the point of demise the world is facing?

Personally, anything mainstream? I shake it off like I would an annoying insect! But you have the same freedom as I do for now, to believe in what you want!

posted on Feb, 11 2015 @ 09:14 PM
link   

How can you identify who has made such a contribution and who has not? Ever driven a car? worked for wages? Paid taxes?

posted on Feb, 11 2015 @ 09:14 PM
link   

Personally, anything mainstream? I shake it off like I would an annoying insect!

As irresponsible and irrational (to quote the OP) as embracing everything mainstream with open arms.

Never mistake your prejudices for your opinions.

posted on Feb, 11 2015 @ 09:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: Astyanax

Personally, anything mainstream? I shake it off like I would an annoying insect!

As irresponsible and irrational (to quote the OP) as embracing everything mainstream with open arms.

What is "mainstream"?

And what is "open arms"?

Perhaps you meant to say never mistake your prejudices and opinions for facts.

In which case I agree - and I note the first part of your quoted text where you are telling me I should accept your prejudice and opinion against he "mainstream" as some sort of fact...why would I do that?

BTW does anyone have any actual comment about the content of the article??
edit on 11-2-2015 by Aloysius the Gaul because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2015 @ 09:39 PM
link   

Obama's scientific adviser John Holdren already had this idea over 30 years ago. Difference was he wanted to "Melt the Ice Caps" to stop Global Cooling. He stated at the time that by the year 2000 the earth would be covered in ice. Another Ice Age. It comes as no surprise over 30 years later we are back at this madness instead we are warming now & not cooling.

John Holdren .. en.wikipedia.org...

www.science20.com...

www.as.wvu.edu...

posted on Feb, 11 2015 @ 11:25 PM
link   
a reply to: PrivilegedPeasant

And...so....???

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 04:57 AM
link   

Since when does military industrial complex care about responsibility

These people think they are God

They are deluded, dangerous, in the process of destroying themselves will destroy great many of us

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 06:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: PizzaAnyday505

They are deluded, dangerous, in the process of destroying themselves will destroy great many of us

Best description of chemtrail evangelists I've ever read.

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 01:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: PizzaAnyday505

Since when does military industrial complex care about responsibility

Well apparently since they published this article, since it talks about responsibility.

Because what??
they see a problem - they are keen on investigating ways of fixing het problem - that seems a perfectly human reaction to me.

And how will they do that?

posted on Feb, 13 2015 @ 12:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by seeker1963

Originally posted by Astyanax

Originally posted by AloysiusTheGaul
What is "mainstream"?

In this context, whatever seeker1963 thinks it is.

And what is "open arms"?

Eager, enthusiastic, uncritical.

Originally posted by Astyanax

Originally posted by AloysiusTheGaul
Perhaps you meant to say never mistake your prejudices and opinions for facts.

No, I meant exactly what I said.

I note the first part of your quoted text where you are telling me I should accept your prejudice and opinion against he "mainstream" as some sort of fact...why would I do that?

You're either replying to the wrong person, Aloysius, or you think I was.

top topics

join