It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The burden of intelligence and abstract thinking

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on Feb, 11 2015 @ 03:25 PM
link   
I find it a heavy burden to think deeply and more abstract in the modern world. Whereas i think it was probably considered a gift during prolonged periods of time during the history of the earth where cultures were focus'd more on expansive consciousness and understanding space and the immaterial.

I can understand why people run away from the responsibility of self actualization and the responsibility of exploring the vastness of space and the unseen. I totally understand why people immerse themselves into worlds if fame and righteous glory and seek only materialism and social status.

posted on Feb, 11 2015 @ 03:32 PM
link   
a reply to: onequestion

Man it's all a distraction. Wealth, the quest for fame, "success", material glitz, ego it's all a setup, so we're distracted by "real world issues that are grounded in reality and fact" instead of seeking who we really are. Also seems like thinking about facts instead of ingesting them is frowned upon in this era.

posted on Feb, 11 2015 @ 03:34 PM
link   

Don't even be tempted.

That kind of shallow existence won't make you happy. If you notice, those people are usually never happy because they are never satisfied with what they have. They always seem to be looking at what everyone else has, ready to tear them down for it.

posted on Feb, 11 2015 @ 03:38 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

I fall into that trap, its like an ongoing internal struggle i face. I imagine we all face a similar struggle, at the very least i would hope so.

posted on Feb, 11 2015 @ 03:40 PM
link   

I find it a heavy burden to think deeply and more abstract in the modern world. Whereas i think it was probably considered a gift during prolonged periods of time during the history of the earth where cultures were focus'd more on expansive consciousness and understanding space and the immaterial.

Understanding the immaterial? Fame, righteous glory, social status, are all immaterial and abstract. It looks like we understand these enough. Thinking realistically is the burden and also dangerous.

posted on Feb, 11 2015 @ 03:42 PM
link   
a reply to: LesMisanthrope

Maybe he meant they are abstract things that society hands out based on entirely material things these days. Look at the Kardashians. They have those abstract markers of fame and social status based solely on their materialism and nothing else.

posted on Feb, 11 2015 @ 03:45 PM
link   

Maybe he meant they are abstract things that society hands out based on entirely material things these days. Look at the Kardashians. They have those abstract markers of fame and social status based solely on their materialism and nothing else.

The material is the round piece of metal, or the piece of paper. Once we stamp it with a design, we make it money. It's abstract. The value exists in the mind only.

posted on Feb, 11 2015 @ 03:52 PM
link   

The material is the round piece of metal, or the piece of paper. Once we stamp it with a design, we make it money. It's abstract. The value exists in the mind only

True ... Money is way of valuing things ... and yet we do not really require money if we truly valued things ... but it would require a new mind set based on honour and respect
Some things money can not buy ...

posted on Feb, 11 2015 @ 03:54 PM
link   
I spend most of my days trapped deep down in my mind in sort of a day dream. I feel like there is something going on in the back burner of my brain, but I can never see what it is.
I work out insane theories about embodiment and spiritual power but have no idea what any of it means.

I feel like I am trying to dial out but there's no dial tone. I'm hitting replay on an answering machine but cant adjust the volume to hear the message.

I want to find out how to unlock my brain to work with my thoughts and inner workings. I know something IS there. I just CAN'T figure out what it is.

posted on Feb, 11 2015 @ 03:58 PM
link   
a reply to: artistpoet

Money is more symbolic. It's like the language of value in a sense. It replaced the direct barter of the goods and services people used their time and skill to provide.

It let people specialize more and develop more complicated societies. Unfortunately, it also gives us an idea of how much our society had decayed when we see what things people are willing to place symbolic value on.

posted on Feb, 11 2015 @ 03:59 PM
link   
a reply to: intunewithmyself

Why not try and ask a specific question that is pertinent to you ... You may just get an answer within your own thoughts

posted on Feb, 11 2015 @ 03:59 PM
link   

I hear you man i do.

posted on Feb, 11 2015 @ 04:06 PM
link   

it also gives us an idea of how much our society had decayed when we see what things people are willing to place symbolic value on.

True ... and that is a whole other subject also ...
What value does a lump of gold have in comparison to a plate of food for a starving person
edit on 11-2-2015 by artistpoet because: Typo

posted on Feb, 11 2015 @ 04:10 PM
link   

Oh, that isn't so much the issue as how much of a lump of gold is that plate of food valued at? Think about why the plate of food at your local Salvation Army is considered "free" as compared to a plate of food at Kitcho which can run you $600. Food is food ... right?

posted on Feb, 11 2015 @ 04:10 PM
link   

I want to find out how to unlock my brain to work with my thoughts and inner workings. I know something IS there. I just CAN'T figure out what it is.

Start writing. There's no better way to get your thoughts out and view them from the outside.

posted on Feb, 11 2015 @ 04:22 PM
link   

Oh, that isn't so much the issue as how much of a lump of gold is that plate of food valued at? Think about why the plate of food at your local Salvation Army is considered "free" as compared to a plate of food at Kitcho which can run you $600. Food is food ... right?

Good point ... The Prestige of eating at a posh restaurant costs money ... though quality of food and service is also a consideration ... and yet the world seems very much arse about face in terms of valuing things ... Forests are chopped down in the name of profits yet in doing so do those who profit understand the value of the forest

posted on Feb, 11 2015 @ 04:26 PM
link   

I second that ... writing down one's thoughts without censorship is one of the best ways of understanding oneself

posted on Feb, 11 2015 @ 04:32 PM
link   

Again that depends.

Think about the lion on the savannah. Does the forest have value to it? No. The forest means nothing to the lion because the things a lion values are the things that increase/ensure its survival chances.

That's how it is with us, too. We value what we perceive as necessary to survive although it's much more abstract now that we are not on a bare subsistence footing anymore. You perceive the forest as necessary to your survival in an abstract way, but ask the average kid in the ghetto if that same forest has value, and you'll be shocked.

Trust me, I taught inner city school. They tend to not value things that don't impact their day to day lives directly although those things can seem to be completely shallow and impractical.

posted on Feb, 11 2015 @ 04:39 PM
link   

Yes I understand your point ... we attach value to things we perceive as important to us
Respect for teaching at an inner city school
edit on 11-2-2015 by artistpoet because: Typo

posted on Feb, 11 2015 @ 05:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: intunewithmyself
I spend most of my days trapped deep down in my mind in sort of a day dream. I feel like there is something going on in the back burner of my brain, but I can never see what it is.
I work out insane theories about embodiment and spiritual power but have no idea what any of it means.

I feel like I am trying to dial out but there's no dial tone. I'm hitting replay on an answering machine but cant adjust the volume to hear the message.

I strongly suggest that you find this inner peace with some form of deep meditative practice. The final goal there is enlightenment, but not likely to be fully achieved, but the journey to that effort can be rewarding.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join