It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The next big technology, and it's tied to that missing plane...

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 11 2015 @ 02:52 PM
link   
Writing the software that could drive a car automatically has always been the dream of AI researchers. They always had discussions back in the 1980's and 1990's. You could get a desktop PC, a handful of digital cameras, and a modified dashboard with electric motors and relays that could turn the steering column, switch gear, push the brake, accelerator and clutch pedals. All that was needed was the software to convert the camera input into control events, and that's where the AI/robotics researchers would be.

It won't bother the insurance companies that much - they'll just say that AI drivers haven't been proved to be safe, so you'll still need insurance. Even if it does lead to fewer accidents, they'll be able to drop their insurance prices due to less payouts, but still require insurance for a one-in-a-million event. It might hurt the car companies more if they end up selling less spare parts.

posted on Feb, 11 2015 @ 04:02 PM
link   
a reply to: AutumnWitch657

thanks for pointing that out, Zaphod58 mentioned that as well.

2nd

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 03:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheLieWeLive
It makes me wonder if, while creating self driving technology, they didn't create self awareness.
The tech centers on a machine being aware of its surroundings, so what if it also became aware of itself while doing so? That maybe something to kill for.

Just a thought.

Been watching/reading too much scifi, haven't we?

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 03:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: stormcell
Writing the software that could drive a car automatically has always been the dream of AI researchers. They always had discussions back in the 1980's and 1990's. You could get a desktop PC, a handful of digital cameras, and a modified dashboard with electric motors and relays that could turn the steering column, switch gear, push the brake, accelerator and clutch pedals. All that was needed was the software to convert the camera input into control events, and that's where the AI/robotics researchers would be.

It won't bother the insurance companies that much - they'll just say that AI drivers haven't been proved to be safe, so you'll still need insurance. Even if it does lead to fewer accidents, they'll be able to drop their insurance prices due to less payouts, but still require insurance for a one-in-a-million event. It might hurt the car companies more if they end up selling less spare parts.

You're talking short term, he's talking long term.

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 03:31 AM
link   
Didn't notice a mention above but did you know they were trialing these cars in UK cities yesterday ?

It was all over the news

www.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 05:24 AM
link   
Maybe not for cars more for killing

Freescale Kinetis KL03 microcontroller unit game-changing Kinetis KL02 and KL03 microcontroller chips, the core of a new generation of ultra-small weapons, lightweight ultra-small robotic weapons
The KL series microcontroller units (MCU) are the brains for these tiny self-guided weapons, whose sensors can find pathways through air ducts, power conduits and plumbing pipes to attack electronic controls and incapacitate personnel with nerve gas or biowarfare agents. there is no effective defense against an army of tiny ninja robots.

www.rense.com...
www.rense.com...:

edit on 12/2/2015 by douglas5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 06:53 AM
link   
a reply to: FamCore

Again very gracious of you. You're a credit to the membership here.

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 09:12 AM
link   

Self-driving cars? When, at our current level of technology, we can't even get "auto-complete" or "auto-correct" to work right with text messages?

As one said above, already a reality in the UK just this week. A couple months ago, the Google cars were being tested on the Selmon Expressway in Tampa, FL. So far, the test results have been extraordinary.

To the one who mentioned working for Freescale. Relax, just a theory man. May be related, may not. Just a coincidence I pointed out based on reading what Freescale does (from the info I could see). If you worked for them, or for those more familiar with their products, great! Thank you for the extra information. My feelings aren't hurt or anything. I thank you for the input and for adding to my understanding. That's why this is in the general conspiracies forum.

Oh, I'll be the first to agree that Motley Fool uses sensationalism. I just thought it was an interesting parallel, and seeing that ad was what first got me thinking about a possible connection. Regardless, I do think this tech is going to basically be the next big industry, and it's going to radically be a life-changer eventually...and probably a LOT sooner than people think.

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 10:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: douglas5
Freescale Kinetis KL03 microcontroller unit game-changing Kinetis KL02 and KL03 microcontroller chips...

Kinetis is the sort of thing you'd build an appliance controller or a small USB device around. "Game changing" is a bit of a stretch.

It's got less than 32K of RAM.

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 11:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bedlam

Freescale Kinetis KL03 microcontroller unit game-changing Kinetis KL02 and KL03 microcontroller chips...

Kinetis is the sort of thing you'd build an appliance controller or a small USB device around. "Game changing" is a bit of a stretch.

It's got less than 32K of RAM.

It not the size it's what you do with it that counts ,

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 11:48 AM
link   

It not the size it's what you do with it that counts ,

In this case, "it" is a simple MCU. It's nothing special. If you like ARM because you've got an existing code base or something, yay. Otherwise, there are dozens of others that are essentially the same.

Unless you're the crimelord of the Evil Association of Blender Designers, there's no need to kill over Kinetis.

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 01:13 PM
link   
I don't want a car or a plane that doesn't have a human operator.

Cars that drive themselves yeah that's coming.

Planes that fly themselves that's already here with drones.

People are only getting lazier.

Technology makes the impossible possible, but where do we drawn the line?

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 02:23 PM
link   
Already roads are a good way to lead populaces, if you don't want anyone finding something they shouldn't you don't put it on a map or pave the road. I suspect self-driving cars will keep allot of secrets.

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 02:35 PM
link   
[Finally made an account to post this after lurking for almost a decade]

this video sums up your suspicions www.youtube.com...

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 03:18 PM
link   
i found out they had anti gravity TECH info as well that is why they are DEAD !!!!

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 03:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Well the third technically was a mayalasian owned airline. Just a different one.

Either way Mayalasia had three major air travel tragedies in less than a year.

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 04:00 PM
link   
a reply to: GogoVicMorrow

Yep, which is not that unusual. Pan Am, twice, lost three 707s back to back. There have been 18 incidents, counting MH370 and MH17 where an airline has lost back to back aircraft. At least once it was a total of five aircraft from a single airline.

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 04:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: dr1234

originally posted by: TheLieWeLive
It makes me wonder if, while creating self driving technology, they didn't create self awareness.
The tech centers on a machine being aware of its surroundings, so what if it also became aware of itself while doing so? That maybe something to kill for.

Just a thought.

Been watching/reading too much scifi, haven't we?

We have some of the brightest minds in the world warning us that this is coming. Stephen Hawkings and Michio Kaku comes to mind and that, my friend, would be science fact.

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 11:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Bedlam

Thats not a nice thing to say. Even a small company can take out an uber giant.

www.neowin.net...

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 11:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: staple
a reply to: Bedlam

Thats not a nice thing to say. Even a small company can take out an uber giant.

www.neowin.net...

And by the way...

edit on 2/12/2015 by staple because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join