It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Honesty: Does anybody else feel demotivated with life due to the state of society or the world?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+37 more 
posted on Feb, 9 2015 @ 07:18 PM
link   
Friends,

It's an honest question.

I feel that the more I have studied politics, history, and so on, sought truth at any cost, traveled, you name it, the more I have had to face a stark truth: Many of the elite who run this world, and the organizations that they run, and the sycophants who get near the top, seem to be extremely corrupt and Machiavellian. Wars for profit, coups, bombing innocent people, possibly false flags and assassinations of dissadents.

A little about me. I work in international development and poverty work. I got my start in education, poverty, and low income communities here in the States. I realized that a lot of policy and epistemic issues created that poverty and went to grad school to study politics, policy, economics, etc. I also went and worked abroad for a while. The whole time I was studying political history, formally and non, but also letting myself be open to alternative theories and places like ATS.

But what I think drew me to places like ATS is I began to see world politics as representing something different than what we see on the MSM. At the very least, baring all other conspiracies, I have come to believe that our government is engaging in great evil across the board with our foreign policy. I also think that the evidence is clear that the so called military industrial complex practically owns most of our politicians, and policy domestic and foreign is dictated not by justice, freedom, nor democracy but instead greed, money, power, you name it.

At the same time, because I work in these fields, including educating people on them, I have realized how little your average person seems to care or be motivated to find truth. Most will gladly serve such masters if it means conventional ladder climbing will be had.

So here I am today, finding myself completely disillusioned not only with the state of our government but also my work as a development professional, most organizations, and my ability to "make a difference." It is taking all my might to fight it, and that's why I got into this stuff. But how do we keep up the motivation with much in society, such as the work I describe, if it is SOOOOO corrupt at the top? When forces are at work far more powerful than I or even my bosses?
edit on 9-2-2015 by Quetzalcoatl14 because: (no reason given)

+3 more 
posted on Feb, 9 2015 @ 07:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Quetzalcoatl14

Ya...I worked for the government and public service my whole life in one way or another...except when I was in college. Public service made me not like people...and my time with the government made me realize America aint so great. Now im an expat with absolutely no desire to go back home. I think you'll find in other countries people respect things like honesty more. I have lived in 5 countries how and although some cultures do things I don't like...they almost all seem kinder and more honest than Americans.
edit on 9-2-2015 by rockpaperhammock because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2015 @ 07:30 PM
link   
It's just a cycle...

When we get some new leadership. Proud Americans,not wimps.

Things will change. For now, unplug, kick back and turn off the devices.

ATS has required breaks for many of us. It all gets to be too much.

It will all pass...Hang in there. We need you.

edit on 9-2-2015 by whyamIhere because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2015 @ 07:31 PM
link   
Fair enough.

I hear you that being in public service and actually dealing with these issues of import can make one feel negative feelings. There are both people who genuinely care about the issues but then one meets many many people who are the opposite.

As for being an expat, it can be great. Which countries did you live in? I lived in Bangladesh and China and then studied/did some projects in Central America. I will say though that many countries are also just as corrupt and people just as bad in their own way. I don't think America is particularly more ___ than other places. For example, when I lived in China many people only will care about you if you are a family member or friend. If not, good luck. Not much civic awareness which is well noted by many people living there. China is also really corrupt.

posted on Feb, 9 2015 @ 07:31 PM
link   
The solution to a peaceful prosperous society has evaded us for thousands of years, unfortunately I imagine it will continue to do so.

Power, authority, is necessary to keep society in line, but with that power comes opportunity for corruption and we are greedy as a species. Many can't resist the temptation to unethically turn things in their favour.

As time progresses, this issue will only get worse, every civilization has its inevitable end, our time will come too.

posted on Feb, 9 2015 @ 07:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: Themarkedone
The solution to a peaceful prosperous society has evaded us for thousands of years, unfortunately I imagine it will continue to do so.

Power, authority, is necessary to keep society in line, but with that power comes opportunity for corruption and we are greedy as a species. Many can't resist the temptation to unethically turn things in their favour.

As time progresses, this issue will only get worse, every civilization has its inevitable end, our time will come too.

First Star....

I love when that happens.

posted on Feb, 9 2015 @ 07:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: Themarkedone

This is an interesting point, and one that has merit. We have been struggling with many of the same issues as you say for aeons.

Proper checks and balances can moderate power, but if people find ways to erode those checks or even ignore them, then corruption or power become unbalanced.

We have made some progress as far as international relations and also governance. On one hand, we have the first set of truly global agreements in the form of the UN and Geneva Conventions. But, they don't have the power and enforcement mechanism to actually stop powerful countries like Russia or the US from doing what they want.

At a national level, it has been a very slow improvement, in that in most countries there is relatively more freedom, people at least ostensibly get to vote, and it is harder to randomly kill or imprison citizens unlike former eras.

But this goes to my point, I got into this line of work hoping/thinking I could "make an impact" or change things. What does one do with their profession when they began to question that they can do what the whole point of getting into it was?

posted on Feb, 9 2015 @ 07:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: whyamIhere
It's just a cycle...

Good leadership would help.

But what if my contention is true that to get into office now days you might have to be corrupt?

What is the solution then?

posted on Feb, 9 2015 @ 07:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: Quetzalcoatl14

originally posted by: whyamIhere
It's just a cycle...

Good leadership would help.

But what if my contention is true that to get into office now days you might have to be corrupt?

What is the solution then?

There is no solution except for collapse of the system, then rebuild. Leaders aren't voted into office anymore, they are selected by the corporate elite that are the true puppet masters, powerful and hidden. In a Capitalistic society, everything is kicked to the curb except for profits and greed, which leads to pervasive corruption, manipulation, and ultimate slavery for the proletariat.

Bread and circus time amigo....bring in the clowns!

edit on 9-2-2015 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

edit on 9-2-2015 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2015 @ 07:58 PM
link   

Asia/Europe/South America/Central America and North America and by live I mean 1 year or more.

posted on Feb, 9 2015 @ 08:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: rockpaperhammock

Asia/Europe/South America/Central America and North America and by live I mean 1 year or more.

That's substantial. Only my China excursion counts as a year or more.

posted on Feb, 9 2015 @ 08:20 PM
link   
There you have it multi posters have told you truth...its up to you what to do with it....
I avoid everything that brings power to the system wherever I can....other than that I talk....write, and try to act responsibly yet kindly...what else is there?
For now we must survive to rebuild the world after the fall......

posted on Feb, 9 2015 @ 08:27 PM
link   

I think you're quite correct about too many people A). knowing what's actually happening but just not doing anything about it, or B). being completely ignorant to what's actually happening and therefore incapable of deciding what to do.

And yeah, without doubt it gets tiring knowing that no matter what you're doing with your life, there are evil forces running amok on this planet intent on total enslavement with as much bloodshed & carnage along the way as possible.

Short of suicide, the best way is prob just to enjoy your life as much as possible & should the time come, when change for good is a possibility, I say jump in.

posted on Feb, 9 2015 @ 09:28 PM
link   

It's overwhelming for only as long as the matrix remains
the only focus. I too was beaten into the dirt a lot of times,
and just got up and tried to survive in spite of "the law", etc.
Guess I did OK-- still typing somehow.

It took a long painful period of zero incentive and total lack
of profitability for TPTB to pull the plug on the Berlin Wall..
if you think that was anything but theatre, remember the
financial restructuring that accompanied the breakup of the
USSR. The people that run the show lost nothing, but the
Ruble and other neighboring currencies got flayed.

I hate finally to think it was all about the money-- but now
that I'm kicked off the hamster wheel from age and medical
issues, there are better things for us to do than work like
plow horses and go 'home' to wait to die. I'm going to work
like a fire horse on my own stuff and lounge frequently. Balance...

posted on Feb, 9 2015 @ 09:43 PM
link   
Sometimes it does..

But, for the most part, it motivates me even more.

The most discouraging thing I see is that the same behavior responsible for abuse of power is present with our without that power.

That said, there are so many avenues for us to enact change for a better world. The biggest stumbling block is the perceived need for everyone to see everything the same way. We really only need to agree on one thing:working together on common goals regardless of individual ideology.

I believe this can be assisted with technology and new concepts of everything from commerce, business pay scales, and even research methodology.

Personally, I stopped waiting for it to "just happen" and started working towards it myself. Along the way many have jumped in of nearly every system of belief (or lack thereof).

It's been very difficult for a myriad of reasons, but as it has come together, it spurs me onward.

posted on Feb, 9 2015 @ 10:15 PM
link   

In your mid-thirties or thereabouts? Tends to be the most materialistic point during life and it requires a choice.

You can't change the world, only your perception of it.

The wolf you feed (by your attention) is the one that wins.

Then there was the buddhist monk, a wandering saddhu type, traveling the world barefoot and trusting to the goodness of others for food and shelter. His feet hurt.

The monk found a piece of leather, stepped on it and sighed in relief. Enlightenment, if I walk on leather - my feet won't hurt any more.

He proceed to seek leather and place it where ever he walk, he became obsessed with finding and walking on leather. He stopped seek food and shelter, even the simple company of others. He was now lonely, hungry and cold and so very tired of "the world" so he sat down, he couldn't go on.

True enlightenmnet came. The monk laughed and took up the leather and fashioned leather sandles and began his journey in comfort and joy.

You're on scheule, keep your feet pointed forward and do the right thing regardless of outcome.

The only thing that you get to take with you, into the 'afterlife', is your state of mind.

edit on 9-2-2015 by FyreByrd because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2015 @ 10:35 PM
link   
What took you so long to realize this OP? It's been that way for a long time. Most state and federal workers are not in on it either, but they may have an inkling it is happening. But they cannot risk loosing their job or pension qne they have their retirement tied to the stock market. If the boat gets rocked they lose too.

So to rock the boat too much is not a good idea. Especially when the boat is full of shabby repairs and has been maintained by a very deceptful repairman who used bubblegum to patch the holes.

posted on Feb, 9 2015 @ 10:50 PM
link   
I gave up.
Just waiting for it to burn to the ground, then i will take action to rebuild.
There's no point fighting, you cant win, just be a good example, enjoy yourself for the time being, and let it fall on its own.

posted on Feb, 9 2015 @ 11:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
What took you so long to realize this OP? It's been that way for a long time. Most state and federal workers are not in on it either, but they may have an inkling it is happening. But they cannot risk loosing their job or pension qne they have their retirement tied to the stock market. If the boat gets rocked they lose too.

So to rock the boat too much is not a good idea. Especially when the boat is full of shabby repairs and has been maintained by a very deceptful repairman who used bubblegum to patch the holes.

I realized much of this stuff quite a long time ago, let's say almost 10 years ago. I was in Guatemala in 2006 studying politics and Spanish and learned all about the CIA's doings there.

However, i'm hitting a wall recently. I went back to grad school to get closer to policy and more macro information, study with some of these kinds of higher ups, and possibly go into work at that level.Trying to really "deny ignorance" in myself, kinda get into close proximity to elite people. I wanted to see how these people think.

This only increased my disillusionment. I'm struggling to keep my motivation to work in policy and also development because of the forces I feel are at work in the world.

But yes, I agree with you, most people once in a system and having a salary and perhaps financial responsibilities can be scared to rock the boat in any fashion.

posted on Feb, 9 2015 @ 11:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: Serdgiam
Sometimes it does..

But, for the most part, it motivates me even more.

The most discouraging thing I see is that the same behavior responsible for abuse of power is present with our without that power.

That said, there are so many avenues for us to enact change for a better world. The biggest stumbling block is the perceived need for everyone to see everything the same way. We really only need to agree on one thing:working together on common goals regardless of individual ideology.

I believe this can be assisted with technology and new concepts of everything from commerce, business pay scales, and even research methodology.

Personally, I stopped waiting for it to "just happen" and started working towards it myself. Along the way many have jumped in of nearly every system of belief (or lack thereof).

It's been very difficult for a myriad of reasons, but as it has come together, it spurs me onward.

I get you. For a long time this was exactly what motivated me to work hard in school and work, i.e. trying to address the injustice and all that. This is what I mean about being a development professional, it is my life's work of taking proactive steps to make a positive impact. As you said, "not waiting for it to happen." \

And I think as you noted that we do need to find common ground and goals amongst all of us.

We can and should use evidence and social/physical science to decide what are the issues that are real. And, we should all be able to agree to have a world left for future generations (sustainability). We should be able to have the rule of law at both international and national levels. I.e. justice.

There are positive things out there that are well researched. We know education for example helps all kinds of things, from decreasing racism to increasing opportunities for low income communities and decreasing poverty.

It is good to hear your motivation has come back.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join