It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stupid movies and the people that like them

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 9 2015 @ 08:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Skid Mark

What hurt the most? It took 4 years of my life...and another year in Mexico to write the screenplay. And now the attorney asks for our signature authorizing (I use that term loose-ly)...for permission to spend another $5 grand. For what?

So it can sit on the shelf? We learn things the hard way I guess. The original book is great...the screen-treatment sux....so? What do you think I did? Signed permission to spend.

Even if its not the same as the book...its where it is, and its what it took...and a big part of my life invested.

Its hard to get a book to come out like a movie...and a movie to do justice to a book....but $16,000 and 5 years later....????? What ya gonna do?

Thanks for commenting, Best MS

posted on Feb, 9 2015 @ 09:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Danny85

I do just that man...step away and go back to the classics or a how to manual.....i've read 2 classics that were just crap though lately..one being lolita...how can people like that book...and to stay on topic I just saw a movie adaption of the book and it was awful too haha....I guess I just don't like that story.

posted on Feb, 9 2015 @ 09:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Hoosierdaddy71

I don't mind the movie being different than the book either ... unless I've read the book first. Then I almost inevitably feel cheated.

The book is always better for me. That's why World War Z was such a colossal joke. And believe it or not I felt similar about Seabiscuit even though they did a decent job there.

edit on 9-2-2015 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2015 @ 09:35 PM
link   
Totally agree on Ender's Game. The Homesman, also not worth a buck. Worst movie of ALL time... Ishtar. reply to: rockpaperhammock

posted on Feb, 9 2015 @ 09:40 PM
link   
Problem is most movies try to capitalize on the stupid people who like big explosions.

posted on Feb, 9 2015 @ 09:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Skid Mark
DIck's, "I Can Remember It For You Wholesale" was an excellent story that was fairly faithfully represented in Arnie's version. It had HUGE implications and displayed pretty well on screen. The most recent version is a crapfest with nothing but mundane thoughts and less meritorious corpserate (sic) groupthink displayed.

Also, since I have been reading Science Fiction for 57 years, I have a few opinions about what you can read to get the spirit back. Much of it is formulaic and the characters of little worth. The entire Dune series is dull and slow. So stop TRYING to consider it as Great Literature, it ain't. Melodrama on steroids and sickly efforts of putting it into a future of BS.

Avoid the perils of slogging through the weak sauce and get to the Killer 'B's. Benford, Brin and Bear (Baxter when he's cooking.) write thematically strong, inventive stuff with characters who are understandable and sometimes actually likeable. Bain and his 'Culture' novels are pleasant and project well into the future. For wild war action, the proto-nazi right wing Ringo is a blast.

These recommendations come with a guarantee. by me, of not inconsequential worth. I used to read four novels a week for an extended period and still finish one or two a week besides my other reading. I actually remember those authors and a lot, a very large lot have succumbed to the nether world of "Oh, yeah, I read that." nullity.

As a good break, read the Dresden novels. Fun, funny and well constructed. I am not much for fantasy (note the small 'f'') but these are a relief from the mostly, moistly morbid and stupid plots of vampires, eldritch beings and poorly drawn motives.

When I read I truly hate the, "and suddenly". Lay on the horn because I am passing! SF must support itself by rigorous means or it falls flat on the plane of illogic. Tight and concise reasoning cooks and spills my beans with some elegance. For me the better the writers' competency in science the better it reads. If you get into fifties and sixties SF you will rarely be disappointed. The naivete' is sometimes a gross feature but some of the ideas are magnificent in scope and potential consequence.

Compare. Get back to me. I think I may have a few years left. These guys will put studs into your wall of reason. Sometimes they are even optimistic but not always.

posted on Feb, 9 2015 @ 10:04 PM
link   
a reply to: nOraKat

So true...which is odd considering Saving Private Ryan is probably the greatest war movie of all time in my opinion because they try to be as realistic as possible. I think the people absolutely loved it for that but they went right back to big explosions again.

posted on Feb, 10 2015 @ 02:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus
I didn't even recognize the final two installments of 'The Hobbit'. After the Lord of the Rings movies I was highly disappointed with the crap Peter Jackson put out as 'The Hobbit'.

Yup same here.
I have no intention of watching the final two parts of The Hobbit "Trilogy"

posted on Feb, 10 2015 @ 03:19 AM
link   
Seen the Vincent price version. Its better than the Will smith version.
Newer doesn't make better.

posted on Feb, 10 2015 @ 12:00 PM
link   
a reply to: AthlonSavage

That's true. In a lot of cases, I like the older movies better.

posted on Feb, 10 2015 @ 05:01 PM
link   
I've read bits & pieces of Ender's Game online. From what I can gather, the book had a whole lot going on in it, and a lot of unspoken dialogue, both of which were a challenge to try to cram into the standard 2 hour movie. The film I actually did like overall (I intend to get the books since seeing it) I would have loved a sequel film, but I understand the aging issues with the cast & characters were a big hurdle, thus there likely won't be one.

I Am Legend I really liked. I don't care how far that deviated from the book, it's one of those few adaptions that stands on it's own as a separate story. Give credit where credit is due there

The best movie adaption of a book that I've ever seen is one I've suggested to others in sci-fi flick threads a few times. A Russian sci-fi epic called The Inhabited Island, adapted from the book (also known as Prisoners of Power) I've seen the (albeit poorly) subtitled full version, which was 2 separate movies. I think it ran around 6 hours in total, but it was well worth it. That hooked me completely & I ended up buying the book to read. The movie(s) didn't deviate too far from the book (if at all)

posted on Feb, 10 2015 @ 06:12 PM
link   
I'm writing a book based on the movie Idiocracy. I'm pretty sure it'll be way better in the written word.

posted on Feb, 10 2015 @ 07:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Eunuchorn

That would be something lol. Too bad you're joking. That would actually be funny.

posted on Feb, 10 2015 @ 07:54 PM
link   
I thought sure someone would have brought up the remake of The Day The Earth Stood Still. I still haven't force myself to sit through the remake.

The first one was awesome.

posted on Feb, 10 2015 @ 08:01 PM
link   
a reply to: NightFlight

I haven't seen either one. I keep meaning to see the first one. I heard it was good.

posted on Feb, 11 2015 @ 12:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: NightFlight
I thought sure someone would have brought up the remake of The Day The Earth Stood Still. I still haven't force myself to sit through the remake.

The first one was awesome.

Sh/t I thought that was the movie they kept referring to lol. I love Keanu reaves I want to see that!

posted on Feb, 11 2015 @ 12:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: Skid Mark

That would be something lol. Too bad you're joking. That would actually be funny.

The biggest problem with this idea is I would have to watch the movie again.

posted on Feb, 11 2015 @ 01:23 AM
link   

True. Or you could get drunk and make it up as you go along from what you remember. That might actually be more fun.

posted on May, 29 2015 @ 08:53 PM
link   
Back to the subject of Project Almanac? Is time travel possible itself? If so does evidence exist?

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join