It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK TV Licence law, facts without BS, remember deny ignorance?

page: 7
<< 4  5  6   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 14 2015 @ 12:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: wmd_2008
Your as bad as people who drive without car insurance us HONEST people PAY MORE because of twat's like you!!!

You quoted the entire OP but you clearly either did not read it, or misunderstood it.
It is only a crime to use a device to receive or record TV as broadcast live in the UK. I do not, therefore I am not committing any offence, and do not require a licence.

A licence is required in the UK to use a HAM radio:
stakeholders.ofcom.org.uk...

Section 8 of the 2006 Act forbids the installation or use of wireless telegraphy equipment (radio) in the UK mainland, including Northern Ireland and territorial waters, the Isle of Man and the Channel Islands, unless an appropriate licence has been obtained from Ofcom, or there are Regulations in force exempting it from the licensing requirements.
I do not transmit radio using wireless telegraphy equipment so I do not require a licence. That said, I must ask, does that also make me a twat in your opinion?

Your driving licence example is frankly ridiculous. Uninsured drivers who cause damage or injury to other road users cost the insurance companies who end up paying out through the Motor Insurers’ Bureau. These costs are passed on to people who purchase insurance.
I do not watch TV as broadcast live so do not require a licence. My position staying within the law does not result in any extra costs for the BBC. Try again fella, your emotional outburst was inaccurate, and makes you appear rather silly.

posted on Feb, 14 2015 @ 01:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: BMorris
What a lot of people don't realise, is that a small percentage of the licence fee is used to maintain the transmission infrastructure (broadcast masts, satellite uplinks, cabling, relay stations, which ALL channels use, including ITV, C4, Sky, Virgin.

Nope, TV transmission services (masts etc) are operated and provided by SDN Ltd (now owned by ITV) & Arqiva, two private companies which charge broadcasters (commercial & BBC) for their service. Remember the OP title, deny ignorance.
www.arqiva.com...

Major broadcasters, such as the BBC, ITV and BSkyB, as well as independent radio groups, depend on us to keep them connected to their customers. We’re also providing the connectivity for leading UK mobile network operators and many emergency services operators.
We distribute content and data to homes across the length and breadth of the UK and keep British troops overseas in touch with their favourite football teams via live Sky Sports feeds.

www.itvplc.com...

SDN, a UK digital terrestrial television (DTT) multiplex operator, holds a licence from Ofcom to broadcast channels over specified bandwidths on Multiplex A, one of the six multiplexes on the DTT platform that is principally used by Freeview channels.

...if the BBC stopped broadcasting and there was no licence fee, both companies would still continue to provide their services to commercial TV companies and others prepared to pay for it.
Let's stop falling for the propaganda please people.

posted on Feb, 14 2015 @ 02:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: BMorris
To be quite fair on that store assistant, they were only doing what was legally required at the time. It used to be the case that they could not sell you a tv, video, etc unless you gave them your name and address for reporting purposes. I do not know if that is still the case. I suspect it might be.

The law was changed and TV retailers are no longer required to request the personal details of customers making a purchase:
www.tvlicensing.co.uk...

The Wireless Telegraphy Act of 1967 (as amended) has been repealed meaning that from 25 June 2013 onwards, TV dealers are no longer required to notify TV Licensing when they sell or rent out TV equipment.

posted on Feb, 15 2015 @ 11:02 AM
link   
BBC Worldwide do alright out of license payers donations

www.bbcworldwide.com...

posted on Feb, 15 2015 @ 11:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: Raffles
a reply to: AndyMayhew

Well if its a crime to be forced to pay for something i do not want, i'm more than happy to commit it.

Who is forcing you to pay for something you do not want?

Do you want to watch live TV in the UK or not? If not, you pay nothing. Simple.

posted on Feb, 15 2015 @ 11:45 AM
link   
a reply to: markojo
From what I read in your link it appears that BBC Worldwide is a net contributor to the licence payers:

In 2013/14, BBC Worldwide generated headline profits of £157.4m and headline sales of £1,042.3m and returned £173.8m to the BBC.

I couldn't give a toss either way of course, just denying ignorance as per my OP.

posted on Feb, 15 2015 @ 12:38 PM
link   
a reply to: AndyMayhew

I do watch live TV in the UK, i just don't want the BBC or any of it's services as i do not use them, so i choose not to pay.

SImple

posted on Feb, 15 2015 @ 01:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Raffles
For information, such a course of action remains a criminal offence. Personally I don't give a # either way, just pointing out the legal status to anyone who has only joined this thread on this page.

posted on Mar, 3 2015 @ 03:14 AM
link   
Lets see them enforce this. I'll go to jail first. Pay up or face the consequences ?

Householders could be required to pay the television licence fee even if they do not own a television, under proposals being discussed by the BBC. Lord Hall, the BBC’s director-general, wants to extend the £145.50 annual fee in response to the growing popularity of iPlayer, which enables viewers to watch programmes on home computers, mobile phones and tablet devices.

BBC wants everyone to pay TV Licence.

posted on Mar, 3 2015 @ 07:46 AM
link   
a reply to: Soloprotocol
Haha, same here.
They're getting desperate now as more people realise they don't have to pay it.
Funny thing, TV Licencing knocked my door again on Monday, I was in a grumpy mood about some other life stuff though and couldn't trust myself in potential confrontation so I didn't open it, just looked at the guy through the glass and told him to # off.

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6   >>

join