It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mysterious Carved Stone Sold as Garden Ornament

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 6 2015 @ 09:50 AM
link   
Let me start by saying I'm not familiar with James Balme or his credentials but his short bios at various web sites identify him as an archaeologist, TV presenter and documentary film producer. He operates YouTube channel "tvpresenter4history" which features videos he's produced on archaeology, aviation and the environment as well as clips of his appearances on various TV shows including an episode of Time Team.

Now that I've gotten that out of the way: I came across an article from Live Science this morning on my news feed, reporting on the apparent discovery of an ancient artifact for sale as an garden ornament. These sorts of accidental discoveries are among my favorite and the carving on the stone is certainly intriguing.

From Live Science:

When he was done conserving it, Balme saw a stone carving with an extremely complex pattern that is difficult to describe. It's possible the "pattern carved may be some form of writing," Balme told Live Science in an email. The carving's use is unknown, though it could be "a keystone from an archway or indeed a vaulted ceiling," Balme said.

The carving, which weighs between 55 and 65 pounds (25 and 30 kilograms), appears to be made out of a hard form of sandstone, Balme said. It's wide at its base but get narrower toward the top. It stands about 18 inches (46 centimeters) high and is 5.5 inches (14 cm) thick. Its decorations are entirely on the front face "although it does have many chisel marks on the sides and back," he said.

Stone is impossible to accurately date though patterns of weathering and patina can give some indication of the age. Balme says he believes the stone could date from the Anglo-Saxon period (~450 AD to 1066 AD) though he's not certain and he's taken to Twitter to solicit opinions which isn't the most scholarly approach I can think of.

It does look to be extremely old in the pictures but it doesn't resemble any sort of writing or proto-writing I've ever seen. My first impression is that it could have been part of a larger object, perhaps a cross but what is depicted in the carving isn't easily discernible.

posted on Feb, 6 2015 @ 10:05 AM
link   

It does look like the bottom portion of the celtic cross, and they had many various patterens.

posted on Feb, 6 2015 @ 10:07 AM
link   
Cool find.
And just looking at it, it does seem like it is part of a larger "picture". Like there is something missing.

Hope they figure it out.

posted on Feb, 6 2015 @ 10:17 AM
link   
a reply to: theantediluvian

I agree with you, it looks like the bottom of a cross. Maybe more like one of the Cornish ones, they're 'chunkier' than others (although Cody might come along and put me right on that point!).

But it doesn't look like knotwork, so ...who knows? Pretty intriguing, thanks for posting.

posted on Feb, 6 2015 @ 10:51 AM
link   
Nice find!

Although, I think I drew that pattern on the back of a napkin at the bar the other night. Just trying to design my next tat.....

posted on Feb, 6 2015 @ 10:55 AM
link   
I can't be sure, but I think it says Made in Japan. That's an old one for sure. I don't see Toyota written anywhere on it but a Toyota may have hit it in the yard.

posted on Feb, 6 2015 @ 12:51 PM
link   
As far as symbols, bottom center sure looks like the Superman "S."

Thus it is likely from Krypton ... though Celtic cross is likelier.

It would be nice to find an ancient stone with writing on it never seen dating to at least a quarter million years b.p. I'm still hoping...

posted on Feb, 6 2015 @ 05:11 PM
link   
It's a stone age MRI of some royal personage's intestines.

Even back then, those puppies were expensive and required a referral
edit on 6/2/15 by 35Foxtrot because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2015 @ 05:54 PM
link   
It reminds me of the movie STARGATE The symbols on the capstone.

posted on Feb, 7 2015 @ 03:48 AM
link   

Maybe I'm crazy,but I wonder if they don't have it upside down? If they don't know the writing on it and all,maybe its upside down. The reason I say this is because In stone archways,the masons would sometimes use 'blocks' of stone and put them together to make the arch.The easiest way to make it stay up was to make the TOP portion of the stone wider so it wouldn't fall through. If that is the case,then they are looking at it upside down. Just a thought.

posted on Feb, 7 2015 @ 12:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: Dimithae

Maybe I'm crazy,but I wonder if they don't have it upside down? If they don't know the writing on it and all,maybe its upside down. The reason I say this is because In stone archways,the masons would sometimes use 'blocks' of stone and put them together to make the arch.The easiest way to make it stay up was to make the TOP portion of the stone wider so it wouldn't fall through. If that is the case,then they are looking at it upside down. Just a thought.

Could be and it's mentioned in the article that it may in fact be a keystone. This might explain why the sides don't appear to have had much finishing work done.

top topics

join