It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Independence, gentlemen. Independence. Sooner or later.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 5 2015 @ 01:00 PM
link   

I know what most of you think of me: that I'm a thug, a smuggler, rebel, and I started all of this, asked for it; a drunk, who never did anything with his life, and has caused all of this trouble for everybody.

Well I am here today to tell you... that you're right. I am. I am all of those things and more. But in the eyes of the crown... I'm nothing. In the eyes of the crown you... are nothing. You're just colonists.

Who do you want to be? Well the answer isn't even really important. It's the idea that we even have the right to ask the question, "Who do we want to be?" We don't need a birthright. We don't need a family crest, and we certainly don't need the king's damn permission.

What we need is a fair and equal chance. The freedom to live our lives the way that we see fit and the confidence that that freedom cannot be taken away from us. That... that is our God given right. And I for one am willing to fight for it, willing to die for it.

Independence, gentlemen.

Independence.

The above speech was taken from the final episode of The History Channel show, "Sons of Liberty" which aired in January. The man speaking was Samuel Adams, one of our Founding Fathers credited with much of the initial backlash against the crown in Boston and a critical figure in the movement for independence. The speech itself is fictional as far as I am aware, and unless you want some decent entertainment with little historical value, I'm not really advocating the show. However, I am advocating this speech for the sake of discussion.

Replace the king and the crown in that speech with our government today and what much difference is there? In the eyes of the government we the people are nothing. We are numbers. We are a workforce. We are demographics and consumers. We are not actual people with rights and liberties and beliefs, we are cogs in their machine.

When we look at the causes of the American Revolution we see a awe inspiring relation to events of the day, the only difference is that the crown is no longer across a vast ocean, but sitting amongst us in their ivory towers.

The colonist's growing sense of rebellion surged with the presence of military in their everyday lives and the usurpation of the rights as citizens.

Taxes and laws against the trade of goods became the norm and free trade became jeopardized. Smugglers and black markets opened and crime increased as did the roles a reach of policing forces in order to stop these growing movements.

Then came the Massacre in which the colonists and policing forces openly clashed in violence.

But even so, it took years after that and even more usurpation of rights before the colonists finally had enough to get together and demand change.

And that change only came through the barrels of guns.

But it got much worse before it got better back then. Luckily, the colonists only had to deal with meager taxes on some of the good that were imported into the colonies. Today, we have to pay taxes on interstate commerce as well as federal taxes on fuel and luxury items upwards of 30% in some cases. Let's not forget the fact that we all are forced to pay 20%+ on all of our income directly to the government. Think the colonists had it bad?

The similarities in the situations are uncanny. They might not be direct in their approach, but the content and the reactions are the same. It is all a slow burn that rises until the inevitable. One might argue that the distractions are too much and will prevent people from action, but it was only a small group known as the Sons of Liberty that weren't going to be distracted and were instead going to fight for what was right. The rest fell in line with time when the truth of the situation was no longer avoidable.

So how long do we have? How long until the revolution comes or will the government simply collapse before then and anarchy ensues?

Are there still people that despite history, honestly believe that it cannot and will not happen here? Do people out there still believe that this American Empire can truly last forever? It is the faulty belief of those at the top of any food chain, the ideals of ego gone to their head and the facade of splendor falsely casting an air of immortality to any situation.

Something wicked this way comes and rather than ignore the signs and place my head firmly within the clouds, I will embrace the inevitable and I will help push for the ideals that American was founded upon so that the American dream does not die with the failures of its governments, but lives on through the exceptionalism of its people.

posted on Feb, 5 2015 @ 01:14 PM
link   

So how long do we have? How long until the revolution comes or will the government simply collapse before then and anarchy ensues?

The revolution is never going to come. Not when the majorities entire existence depends on that monthly government stipend, and other benefits.

The majority will never bite the hand that feeds them.

posted on Feb, 5 2015 @ 01:28 PM
link   
There won't be any revolution. Too many people are caught up in the problems of their own lives to really notice a difference. Everyone is too dumb or too afraid of the Govt and the fact that by the time people finally realize they basically have no rights left it will be too late.

Complacency is the enemy and it is YOU.

posted on Feb, 5 2015 @ 01:28 PM
link   
a reply to: TheNewRevolution

Revolution is a joke.

It's just another rule in the playbook.

Every revolution in history has resulted in trading one asshole for the other.

But if you want to compare the past to the present you could say that for certain groups(such as women) the present is far rosier. People forget that women were slaves until just recently across most of the world. (Women's suffrage didn't happen in Switzerland for example until the 70's).

In what revolution do I have any hope of things being better? To me, any revolution will just result in one group of assholes being replaced by another(or possibly the same if you believe it is the same people who pull the strings of different puppets here and there).

The only thing "revolution" would more than likely bring about is violence, destruction, rape, and the hunting down of homosexuals if history is anything to go off of. Then the current assholes would be replaced by different looking assholes who still use violence to control other people's bodies and lives. They would create a "new" government that would be the same old bull# with a new bow tie.

Until we embrace the fundamental right of each individual to control their own bodies completely. To believe that the ultimate form of currency is human capital in which the person, the individual wields 100% control...

nothing changes.

Revolution does not equal evolution. Sam Adams(well, the T.V. version's speech anyway) was full of # and any determination of a modern application is equally bovine excrement in nature.

I am still waiting for the American evolution.

posted on Feb, 5 2015 @ 01:31 PM
link   
a reply to: OrphanApology

Good points and I agree. Too bad there is no such thing as an honest uncorruptable leader.

posted on Feb, 5 2015 @ 01:34 PM
link   
a reply to: 4N0M4LY

That's because the concept of a "leader" is idiotic.

There are people that do tasks and interact with each other. Your task may be motivational, but the whole concept of "leader" if ridiculous to begin with.

People who want a "leader" are basically admitting that they want to be "lead". I may want someone who will manage something, or organize something, or do a task...but I in no way want a #ing leader. I want a world full of people who trade mutual best interests based on their own personal unit of human capital.

posted on Feb, 5 2015 @ 01:48 PM
link   
Next time you go into any public place, look around you.

Look at these people- these consumers, these 'voters' and rebels.

I guarantee that out of a hundred of them, less than two have any idea how money works, and what it is. Some know that the "government" prints it- and understand that increasing the money supply increases supply. Some might even understand fractional reserve lending, and that the fed isn't actually really in control of inflation.
Maybe one- MAYBE one of them will have heard that the fed isn't part of our government.

All your average consumer understands is they get a #ty job to get paid, and use that money to buy things. If they make enough, they can take loans against money they have not yet earned to get things they can't afford.

Without the slightest understanding of how the only thing your average person cares about, how are they to revolt? They don't even know how to revolt. They'll just keep doing what they're told until they're either no longer needed, or the stupid system they were born into collapses and they're left to die.

Don't worry, no system as unbalanced as this will stay standing for long- it'll self correct soon enough

posted on Feb, 5 2015 @ 01:49 PM
link   
I used to think revolution would do good but there is no alternate plan in place...youd have to overthrow the corporations and completely change everything. The real revolution is going off grid, become self sustaining...and keep your guns.

By being able to completely live without any interference other than your taxes on land and the few commodities you absolutely want you can work part time and sustain yourself easy. And by part time Id say 20 hrs a week to start with until you figured things out...then you could probably go down further.

If the government ever steps in to take your guns or limit your ability to be independent and live off grid then at that point we move out of country or start a war.

I bet youd be surprised if you asked for asylum in another country based off your human rights being violated...especially by the nsa....im sure there are countries out there just waiting to give a big FU to America on those grounds.
edit on 5-2-2015 by rockpaperhammock because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2015 @ 01:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: neo96

The revolution is never going to come. Not when the majorities entire existence depends on that monthly government stipend, and other benefits.

The majority will never bite the hand that feeds them.

Sadly, I agree. The American revolution only happened because people were aware of their geopolitical position and kept informed of current events.

The average American doesn't care anymore. And not only that, they actually think it's cool that they just don't care.
edit on 5-2-2015 by rockintitz because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2015 @ 02:36 PM
link   
Ever heard of the "Hunger Games"?

People think its a cool book/movie. People write/make this stuff as a warning to society in general...LOL. Time to do some networking so you don't get slaved out to the other 14 districts.

posted on Feb, 5 2015 @ 02:37 PM
link   
I still have to watch the third part. I think for the most part they did okay but they sure put a lot of sex appeal into it, at least for the ladies. I think Sam Adams was technically in his forties or fifties and yet they have him cute as a button.

Onto a revolution, alas I do not see that likely happening in my life. I think things will go on as they are for many more years. They will give us one minor freedom back or that we never had (like gays getting married) while taking two freedoms you had elsewhere away. The small victories that people see will be enough to keep them blind to what is really happening.

There will be a revolution sometime, because there always is, people even those overdosed on whatever they are being forced to ingest will wake up and rise at one point. History always repeats itself but I think this is so far from now our children will not likely even see it. I actually believe that it really will be 1984 combined with THX 1138 for years because people like their routines, they need them. They want warm showers, warm food, microwaves, Facebooks and Kim Kardashian's.

It has to get to the point where humans cannot breathe from the stifling government overreach before they will take action. Right now there is still a semblance of freedom, small as it is.

Though there is one thing going on right now that might wake people up the whole vaccines issue. I have my children vaccinated but what about when they come out with the ebola vaccine or something else and make it mandatory. If they continue down this road as quickly as they are going and parents realize they are having their ability to parent taken away from them there could be a revolution. Momma and Poppa bears will come out of the woods. Taxes, won't do it. Listening to our phone calls won't do it but taken our right to our families away might. It is a hot button issue and I do not mean to change the topic but I think this is the only thing that might make a revolution a reality. But because those in power are smarter than we like to give them credit I believe they will slowly back off because they know it too. We shall see.

posted on Feb, 5 2015 @ 02:52 PM
link   

As expected, the usual comments of "there will be no revolution because the people are uninformed and uncaring."

People are well aware of what is happening in this country. They have the news media. They might not see it for what it truly is and they might not want to do anything about it, but they are certainly aware that the country and its politicians are leading downhill.

The American Revolution was not a popular thing. It is said that less than a third of the population supported the war when it began and even less prior to the violent events leading up to the opening battles. Deep down people wanted to change but they did not want the negative factors that came with instituting that change.

The same can be said today. People can see how things are terrible, but their distractions and standard of living keep them from doing anything about it and simply continue to stomach what is going on. The lower class are appeased by the welfare state. The ones in between are the ones to worry about, those who don't believe in welfare states or do not qualify by a margin. It is the people in this country that make up a resounding chunk of those who live day to day just to get by. Reports show that over half of all Americans are living paycheck to paycheck just to survive and there is no savings to be had should jobs go south. Let us not forget the skewed unemployment and the fact that nearly 30% of Americans are truly unemployed.

There is a dark underbelly to this society that people would rather not see. The populace, despite the news and popular talking points, are not represented by those in line to buy each new iPhone or living behind white picket fences. The standard of living is falling by the day and people are frustrated with no direction to point that frustration.

So we need leaders. Not leaders to direct but leaders to inspire action. The people will not act until others act and show them that change is possible and that there is hope. If worse leaders end up taking the place of those who are disposed, it can only be blamed on the choice the people in the end, not on those who attempt to fight for something better.

There is a such thing as an uncorruptable leader, there have been many in history who stood by ideals and virtues that were promised and allowed people freedom that was deserved of them. We as Americans are just too used to the same old notion that all of our leaders are puppets from one to the next. That is what happens when they control the system of governance and dangle it out of the grasp of the people. But if the people take it back, new leaders, with new direction, and new hope can band together to create a free society that was envisioned by the Founding Fathers.

That is my dream, and I know that it is not only possible, but it will happen eventually.

posted on Feb, 5 2015 @ 03:37 PM
link   

Well a few questions remain if it is possible in the near future

1. Who is going to be the voice of the Revolution?

2. How are the freedom revolutionists going to win the hearts and minds of the people?

3. No one has even brought up the idea of merging the local malitias accross the states to the new army?

4. You would face heavy almost near impossible resistance from the local state police/Fed Homeland Security/US Govt Military/ FBI/CIA/NSA.-You would have to involve every able bodied citizen to combat such a force.

Even though the whole idea of it being a possibility, as long as this topic remains in the depths of the internet and not in view of the general public. There will never be one.

The people must be convinced it is an imminent threat of their way of life for anyone to take action.

posted on Feb, 5 2015 @ 05:07 PM
link   

The topic is not only on the depths of forums. Just down the road from me in two weeks there is a Call to Liberty conference going on. I've been to them before and though many are time, it is not too uncommon that the idea and possibility of revolution comes up in these kinds of small circles. Is it dinner table conversation? No. But even people not internet savvy are beginning to talk about the imminent threat.

To answer your questions:

1. The voice of the revolution will not be a single person. I am a voice of the revolution. Anyone who advocates the change and prepares for rebuilding afterwards, they are voices of the revolution. Anyone who leads with dedication towards goals of freedom and liberty - they will be voices of the revolution.

2. By helping those who need it and exposing the fraud that is our current system and the cronies in government. The revolution movement is already doing this. Day by day more people are realizing the corruptness and instability of the system and the fact that government no longer listens to the voice of the people.

3. There will not be a new army. At least not in the traditional sense. Any mobilization of something of that nature would be seen long in advance and stomped out very early. The revolution will be a guerrilla movement and it will grow in time.

4. There are two million active and reserve personnel in the entire military. About 200,000 members of the DHS/CIA/FBI. 1.3 million police officers nationwide. Total, you are looking at 3.5 million people strong in the government army AT BEST considering they all side with the government and all of them are train combatants (which they are not).

With a population of 316 million, if only 2% of the populace rose up against those forces, we would nearly outnumber them 2-1. During the revolution, only 3% of the population fought against Britain and only 10% of the people supported the war effort in any way.

Considering fighting age males make up 66% of the total population, that leaves us with 3% of 208,560,000 which will come down to 6 million + people against their 3.5 million.

So no, 3% of the fighting populace could handily destroy our government and any forces it has, facing heavy casualty thanks to technology disparagement. Every able bodied citizen would mow them down like the lawn on a summer afternoon. If we are lucky, we will have 5% to push our favor even more.

It isn't impossible by any means. It just takes a call to action and dedication to a cause.

posted on Feb, 5 2015 @ 07:26 PM
link   
The government will collapse under their own weight because of their greed before people rise up. For all their bravado, no one will be able to rally enough people to make it count.

Edit: Not to mention the weapons the government has. A hunting rifle won't mean squat against a properly trained sniper. A grenade won't mean squat against a missile, etc.

edit on 5-2-2015 by superman2012 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2015 @ 05:02 AM
link   

The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

IMO the current atmosphere of hyper partisanship in the US political scene does indicate that historical lessons have not been learned. I am more remind of the deep political divided that existed in the years in the lead up to the American Civil War. If the partisan divided is left to get progressively worse and the USA economic ills are not treated the second civil war could break out around 2035.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Feb, 6 2015 @ 05:14 AM
link   
a reply to: rockintitz

Back in the day folks could fall back on their own resources. These days folks have car and house payments and are not growing their own food down on the farm. Having to work for cash is primary.

A revolution these days would have to be of another sort.

posted on Feb, 6 2015 @ 06:49 AM
link   
I have seen these threads over the years time and time again.

Sadly I don't believe there is going to be a revolution in the US. Most people still have it pretty good compared to how other people in the world live. Americans are spoiled to an amazing degree. There will be no revolution here until people are starving and penniless.

Greece for instance had to have the entire bottom fall out of their economy before any real "change" occured.

Like I said revolution thread after revolution thread. Used to TheRedneck had authored some really good ones but I never see him posting them anymore. Guess he got tired of it.

posted on Feb, 6 2015 @ 07:06 AM
link   

Not getting into the revolution debate (well, okay, America had two already - the first one with blood, the second one, the civil rights movement, with nonviolence), but to answer your OP question, Samuel Adams' speech is entirely fictionalized. There is no record of his words during the constitutional convention. He did seem to be one of, if not the, main persons advocating the formation of a new country by the issuing of a declaration of independence. At the time he was in his mid-50s and looked nothing like the actor portraying him in the recent show, "Sons of Liberty", that your clip is from. The show was abhorrent history, they got a lot right and I did learn quite a bit (which I had to confirm from other sources, knowing that the show was so wrong in its historical outcroppings), and it was good to see Johnny Hancock portrayed semi-well, but much of it was made up and gave the American public an alternate-universe full of garbage about the founding of their country.

posted on Feb, 6 2015 @ 07:18 AM
link   
a reply to: OrphanApology

Exactly! Look at the French Revolution and what immediately followed it. The Reign of Terror happened. Then later Napoleon took advantage of the craziness, seized control then proceeded to conquer most of Europe.

To be honest, the real evolution of government happened in the 1500 and 1600's in Britain with the evolution of Parliament and subsequent weakening of the king's powers. All of that happened through peaceful means as the people claimed more and more individual rights. America just copied Britain's government (it was going to be king and all until George Washington said he didn't want to be President for life).
edit on 6-2-2015 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join