It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

David Blunkett: Labour should bring back the 'death tax'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 5 2015 @ 09:04 AM
link   
Seems Mr. Blunkett the 'Plunkett' has decided to open his mouth on 'death' tax issues! he wants 'Labour' party to re-instate this tax because he thinks its unfair that children should be allowed to inherit ALL that cash from any Sales of Properties should Grand-parents or Parents die off.

This smacks of him not wanting 'Middle' Classes to be able to have cash in the bank!

Link:

www.msn.com...

Some Story:

David Blunkett, the former Home Secretary, questioned why it was fair that children of rich pensioners "win the lottery" by inheriting the family home when they die. He said houses in London and the South East had boomed in price and the profits from such rises should be better redistributed to families in the North when the inhabitants pass away. Labour was forced to abandon plans for a 10 per cent levy on estates to pay for social care before the 2010 general election following a wave of criticism.

"Let me be really controversial: Why should their sons and daughters or nephews and nieces win the lottery when they die?

Why should people who gain Inheritance in the South of England be responsible for those living in the North of the Country? Maybe if the Parents/Grandparents were Billionaires but if they were just 'Middle Class' and bought their property back in the 60's or 70's, why? They have been paying for that property over the 40/50 years of residing it and paying taxes along the way already. I think if the deed says to hand all sales to 'Grand-Children/Children', then that should be the case!

posted on Feb, 5 2015 @ 09:14 AM
link   
a reply to: TruthxIsxInxThexMist

Ah , the return of the ghost of Labour past , Blunkett the Home Secretary who wanted to send the troops in the shoot rioting prisoners , I'm sure Ed is banging his head on the table at Blunkett's intervention.
At least he's off to pastures new in May.

Unsurprisingly I disagree with what he thinks , people should be able to pass on what they've gained over the years without the government dipping in... regardless of where in the country they live.

edit on 5-2-2015 by gortex because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2015 @ 09:16 AM
link   
David Blunkett = tit

posted on Feb, 5 2015 @ 09:39 AM
link   
The lottery? David Blunkett had some rich persons for grandparents.

Real question is why has it become so unpopular for families to build dynasties and progress as a group? Why do governments keep wanting to shrink what is considered family? Do they even know the benefits that inheritances have brought society? If a family wants to invest in a niece, nephew or cousin or whatever, why should they not be able to?

The group of families who continually manage to place their children in positions of power should be first to pay up.

posted on Feb, 5 2015 @ 10:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: Pinke
The lottery? David Blunkett had some rich persons for grandparents.

Real question is why has it become so unpopular for families to build dynasties and progress as a group? Why do governments keep wanting to shrink what is considered family? Do they even know the benefits that inheritances have brought society? If a family wants to invest in a niece, nephew or cousin or whatever, why should they not be able to?

The group of families who continually manage to place their children in positions of power should be first to pay up.

I don't agree with his comments, but to suggest David Blunkett had rich grandparents couldn't be further off the mark. He grew up in what by UK terms was poverty - perhaps that's why he has a chip on his shoulder when others have been more fortunate.

posted on Feb, 5 2015 @ 10:11 AM
link   
Cant wait till the Queen kicks the bucket.

posted on Feb, 5 2015 @ 10:15 AM
link   
Well considering what's inherited came from what had already been taxed he should refrain from shouting his big mouth off with nonsense.

posted on Feb, 5 2015 @ 10:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: uncommitted
I don't agree with his comments, but to suggest David Blunkett had rich grandparents couldn't be further off the mark.

My bad, but I was being rhetorical.

Point is most people don't 'win the lottery' when family members pass on.

posted on Feb, 5 2015 @ 10:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: Dabrazzo
Cant wait till the Queen kicks the bucket.

Now that is a good one.

Bet he never thought of that.

I think 'Blunkett' has an idea but it should be just the 'Billionaires' should distribute their wealth for the masses when they die off!!

posted on Feb, 5 2015 @ 11:01 AM
link   
To do that, the whole paradigm has to shift....there no reason that people should get rich off their parents death......everybody should be making their own tracks.....The wealth of the illuminatti is all inherited,,,just like the freakin peerages which are also in need of abolition.

posted on Feb, 5 2015 @ 11:46 AM
link   
At the end of the day the South of England is only rich because of the toil of the rest of the UK. 'They' always seem to forget that when banging on about how their taxes fund the rest of us. As an ex man from the Pru I remember how those living in Reading doing exactly the same job as me used to get paid double the money! Mind the gap you effers!

posted on Feb, 5 2015 @ 11:18 PM
link   
I'll die penniless and leave them a beautiful corpse.

top topics

join