It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Vitamin A Protects Against Measles

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 4 2015 @ 07:37 PM
link   
Vitamin A Protects Against Measles: Top Doctor

One simple vitamin may save you from getting measles, and protect you from serious complications if you do contract them. "Adequate vitamin A levels may prevent one from getting measles," Dr. Brownstein tells Newsmax Health, "but studies are clear that one of the best treatments for preventing serious complications from measles is vitamin A supplementation.

It's true. Some quotes and links:

World Health Organization here:

In the case of pneumonia that is associated with measles, large doses of vitamin A have a clear protective effect

and here:

All children in developing countries diagnosed with measles should receive two doses of vitamin A supplements, given 24 hours apart. This treatment restores low vitamin A levels during measles that occur even in well-nourished children and can help prevent eye damage and blindness. Vitamin A supplements have been shown to reduce the number of deaths from measles by 50%.

Oxford's Journal of Infectious Diseases:

An estimated 125 million preschool-aged children are estimated to have vitamin A deficiency, placing them at high risk for death, severe infection, or blindness as a result of measles [197].

Vitamin A deficiency. Children with clinical or subclinical vitamin A deficiency in many developing countries have increased case-fatality rates [196, 197]. Measles and other illnesses are associated with reductions in serum retinol concentrations and may induce overt vitamin A deficiency [197, 198]. Hospitalized US measles patients frequently have deficiencies in vitamin A; these children are more likely to have pneumonia or diarrhea after measles [73, 199, 200]. In countries with high measles mortality, treatment with vitamin A once daily for 2 days (200,000 IU for children >12 months of age or 100,000 IU for infants

posted on Feb, 4 2015 @ 09:38 PM
link   
You know what works even better?

Vaccination.

posted on Feb, 4 2015 @ 11:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Boadicea

From what I remember it has been well known that vitamin A deficiencies led to statistically higher complications in measles patients at least since the late 1950s. Just being deficient in vitamin A has led to many cases of blindness in underdeveloped countries that is the main reason they engineered golden rice.

posted on Feb, 4 2015 @ 11:46 PM
link   
Good thread, never ever vaccinate your kids.

If someone wants to vaccinate you as an adult and theres nothing wrong with you, tell them to #### off.

posted on Feb, 5 2015 @ 12:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: FormOfTheLord
Good thread, never ever vaccinate your kids.

Great advise if you don't care about your child's future.

posted on Feb, 5 2015 @ 12:30 AM
link   
Vitamin A helps to stop complications that can arise from the measles, like deafness or blindness.

One simple vitamin may save you from getting measles, and protect you from serious complications if you do contract them. "Adequate vitamin A levels mayprevent one from getting measles," Dr. Brownstein tells Newsmax Health, "but studies are clear that one of the best treatments for preventing serious complications from measles is vitamin A supplementation.

He never says definitively that it protects you. Just that it might..then he adds "take it anyways to prevent complications."

posted on Feb, 5 2015 @ 12:56 AM
link   
a reply to: FormOfTheLord

If someone wants to vaccinate you as an adult and theres nothing wrong with you, tell them to #### off.

You people are absolutely delusional. I just got my tdap today. Go ahead and have fun with your next puncture wound, that's on you, but don't make innocent children and others suffer because you are a paranoid loon. Should a parent be allowed to keep people from performing CPR? Should a parent be allowed to only feed a child bread because they think it's best? Should a parent be allowed to force their child to die because they refuse surgery or other medical care? No. And they shouldn't be allowed to risk other peoples lives either.

Parents who refuse to vaccinate their kids should lose the right to have those kids, or at least have to keep them all quarantined from the rest of us. I mean in total seclusion. They should all band together and make a bubble city to house themselves.

It's not fair to the kids, it's not fair to other kids, it's not fair to people who can't receive the shot, it's not fair to people that have compromised immune systems, and it's not fair on the rest of us that give you herd immunity by getting the shots and basically negating all the efforts and strides we've made in eradicating disease.

posted on Feb, 5 2015 @ 01:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: Domo1

You people are absolutely delusional. I just got my tdap today. Go ahead and have fun with your next puncture wound, that's on you, but don't make innocent children and others suffer because you are a paranoid loon. Should a parent be allowed to keep people from performing CPR? Should a parent be allowed to only feed a child bread because they think it's best? Should a parent be allowed to force their child to die because they refuse surgery or other medical care? No. And they shouldn't be allowed to risk other peoples lives either.
Parents who refuse to vaccinate their kids should lose the right to have those kids, or at least have to keep them all quarantined from the rest of us. I mean in total seclusion. They should all band together and make a bubble city to house themselves.
It's not fair to the kids, it's not fair to other kids, it's not fair to people who can't receive the shot, it's not fair to people that have compromised immune systems, and it's not fair on the rest of us that give you herd immunity by getting the shots and basically negating all the efforts and strides we've made in eradicating disease.

Hey if you wanna get shot with all kinds of vaccines thats on you. However when you infringe on others right to not get shot with vaccines your being an arse. Everyone deserves the right to do what they feel is best for thier selves and family, when people no longer have that right, and I think that time is comming kiss the rest of your liberty goodbye.
edit on 5-2-2015 by FormOfTheLord because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2015 @ 01:07 AM
link   
You do not have the right to infect me.

posted on Feb, 5 2015 @ 01:17 AM
link   
People should have the right to choose. I do not advocate for mandatory vaccines, although I do advocate holding those that negligently spread diseases liable for damages.

As is in this paper in the Journal of law, medicine & ethics

Free to Choose but Liable for the Consequences: Should Non- Vaccinators Be Penalized for the Harm They Do?

That seems like the only fair compromise to this. I am sure some will disagree and feel they have the right to spread disease free from repercussion but it is their right to disagree and I leave it at that. It will only be a matter of time until some parent, conglomerate of parents or the state bring a civil suit against those who refuse to vaccinate and have spread a disease for the damages incurred. At that point it will be for a court to decide if they can be held liable but be assured that court date will come. There have been many groups rallying behind that paper so it seems inevitable.

posted on Feb, 5 2015 @ 01:19 AM
link   

Hey if you wanna get shot with all kinds of vaccines thats on you. However when you infringe on others right to not get shot with vaccines your being an arse. Everyone deserves the right to do what they feel is best for thier selves and family, when people no longer have that right, and I think that time is comming kiss the rest of your liberty goodbye.

Fine, go live somewhere with no human contact. You don't get to drive an unsafe vehicle on public roads, you shouldn't get to be a public health hazard.

Do you really think all vaccines are bad? Do you not realize how many awful things we don't have to deal with in Western society since we began vaccinating?

Sorry if I came across harsh. I realize you are probably as frustrated with me as I am with you.

posted on Feb, 5 2015 @ 01:23 AM
link   
a reply to: Grimpachi

People should have the right to choose. I do not advocate for mandatory vaccines, although I do advocate holding those that negligently spread diseases liable for damages.

Disagree. Unless the person or the person(s) in their care are actually walled off from the rest of us. I consider it negligent to not vaccinate and still be walking around in public.

True it doesn't always work, but it's far better to have it be mostly effective than let it run rampant when parents don't realize how much mercury is naturally occurring in their bodies.

Should I only be charged with drunk driving if I hurt someone?

posted on Feb, 5 2015 @ 01:28 AM
link   
So for everyone jumping on the anti-vaccine hater bandwagon...I didn't see ANYWHERE in the OP where they said anything against vaccines. Nor did they (or the quotes) say anything about taking vitamin A instead of the vaccine.

I am not familiar with the Ops stance on vaccines (maybe some of you are?), but I'm getting sick of all of the anger and hate towards people who don't believe in mandatory vaccines.

Let me ask you this: Where would it stop? Which vaccines would be mandatory and which would not? Or would it be ALL vaccines currently recommended by the CDC? Or just the life-threatening illnesses....who would determine that? Our government, because I sure as heck wouldn't want to leave it up to them.

I am against some vaccines, but not all. Measles is one that I think is worth getting because of the incredible virility of it. It's nothing to mess around with. However, there are something like four times the amount of vaccines on the schedule now than there was just 20 yrs ago when my son was born. Some of them are quite scary. Some of them are dangerous. Whose right is it to say that anyone should have to be forced to have them all put into their bodies? Who would pay for the testing to make sure someone is already immune to them?

No. Forced vaccination is not the answer. A system that can actually be trusted is what's needed, but we are a LONG, LONG ways from that.

Meanwhile, the info on vitamin A is very good to have. You DO realize, that just because you had your measles shot forty years ago, that it doesn't mean you are 100% protected, right? Might want to take some vitamin A.

posted on Feb, 5 2015 @ 01:31 AM
link   
a reply to: Domo1

Problem is if you mandate and take away choices then that will only grow the distrust. Holding those accountable for their actions seems like the only course of action. Considering being liable for the cost from 20 or 30 hospital admissions and stays may get those who are so adamant against vaccinations to do some real research, but even with that in mind you can't fix stupid so that is when court comes int play.

posted on Feb, 5 2015 @ 01:31 AM
link   
a reply to: westcoast

So for everyone jumping on the anti-vaccine hater bandwagon...I didn't see ANYWHERE in the OP where they said anything against vaccines. Nor did they (or the quotes) say anything about taking vitamin A instead of the vaccine.

Actually it was a anti vaxer that started the hating in this thread.

posted on Feb, 5 2015 @ 01:36 AM
link   

Fine, go live somewhere with no human contact. You don't get to drive an unsafe vehicle on public roads, you shouldn't get to be a public health hazard.

Do you really think all vaccines are bad? Do you not realize how many awful things we don't have to deal with in Western society since we began vaccinating?

Sorry if I came across harsh. I realize you are probably as frustrated with me as I am with you.

No im not frustrated with you, your lock step fall in line with getting vaccinated is just another drop in the ocean of ignorance out there. I think people like you dont respect peoples personal freedom, and would rather see people lose thier kids and be wards of the state than not get them shots. Its a sad reality that people can be so closed minded.
You would most likely be all for rounding up every American adult and giving them all shots or have them go to prison or sent out of the country.

Like I said do what you want with your own body but dont infringe on others right to not get some forign substance shot into them they dont want, and dont need.

edit on 5-2-2015 by FormOfTheLord because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2015 @ 01:37 AM
link   

a reply to: Grimpachi

Disagree. Unless the person or the person(s) in their care are actually walled off from the rest of us. I consider it negligent to not vaccinate and still be walking around in public.

True it doesn't always work, but it's far better to have it be mostly effective than let it run rampant when parents don't realize how much mercury is naturally occurring in their bodies.

Should I only be charged with drunk driving if I hurt someone?

Your comparisons are absolutely ridiculous.

I was current on my tdap but still got whooping cough, three years ago. My daughter also got it, and was current. My son and husband, who were both out of date, did NOT get it from us. The current whooping cough is a mutant strain. There are articles all around about it, yet they refuse to change the vaccine to match it. SO...I consider YOU to be more dangerous than someone who never got the tdap to begin with. WHY? Let me tell you:

I worked in an ER three years ago, during the big whooping cough outbreak in our county. (Skagit county, WA...you can look it up) People who were current on their booster thought they couldn't get it, so even when they came down with the early stage symptoms, they figured it was just a cold. They couldn't have whooping cough, right? They had their tdap! Well guess what? They then went around and spread it to everyone else. It wasn't the unvaccinated people spreading it, but the vaccinated! ALL of the people I encountered who had it, were CURRENT on the vaccine. NONE of them were anti-vacciners. NONE of them. THAT is why it spread so badly!

The same goes for the flu vaccine, and the pneumonia vaccine and several others. A lot of them are only %25 percent effective. So guess who does most of the spreading? At least people who don't have a false sense of security take precautions.

Like I said, I am not against all vaccines. I think that the main ones that have been around a long time are necessary (like polio and measles) but there are a whole lot that are questionable, and a lot more to do with making money than protecting people.

So....you might want to get some vitamin A, D and be sure to wash your hands. That will likely go further than most of those shots.
edit on 5-2-2015 by westcoast because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2015 @ 01:58 AM
link   
a reply to: westcoast

(Skagit county, WA...you can look it up)

I remember. I live a short little drive South of you. Maybe not THAT short, but in the grand scheme of things we're practically neighbors.

The same goes for the flu vaccine, and the pneumonia vaccine and several others. A lot of them are only %25 percent effective.

Aware flu vaccine was highly ineffective this year.

Your comparisons are absolutely ridiculous.

I think the point that I was trying to convey was misunderstood, I don't think it was ridiculous. I was speaking about only going after people for compensation after someone was infected... I didn't make that clear probably. My point was that if the only way to keep people getting vaccines is to sue them after they infect someone, it's pretty much as useless as saying drunk driving doesn't matter unless someone is killed or maimed.

posted on Feb, 5 2015 @ 05:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: Grimpachi
a reply to: Boadicea

From what I remember it has been well known that vitamin A deficiencies led to statistically higher complications in measles patients at least since the late 1950s. Just being deficient in vitamin A has led to many cases of blindness in underdeveloped countries that is the main reason they engineered golden rice.

Thank you. Now that you mention it, I do remember the golden rice being developed for that very purpose (Vit A deficiency). I don't remember the measles connection, but it makes sense. I also remember the sore eyes when I had the measles, and my mom putting blankets around my bunk beds to keep it dark. So when I saw the Vit A deficiency, it was a "doh!" kind of moment for me.

My real point, however, is that with all the statistics which have been thrown around the last couple weeks, all the glory for reducing measles around the world was given to vaccinations. I have not seen any mention of Vit A deficiencies and Vit A supplementation or the part it played in the discussion. That seems more than a little disingenuous to me... perhaps more like outright dishonesty.

posted on Feb, 5 2015 @ 05:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: abe froman
You know what works even better?

Vaccination.

Hmmmm... one only needs vaccinations to prevent certain illnesses... one needs Vitamin A all day every day. If I had to choose one or the other, I'd choose Vitamin A.

Good thing I don't have to make that choice.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join