It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

China Builds Second Aircraft Carrier

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 4 2015 @ 06:15 PM
link   

The Chinese media accidentally confirmed that Beijing is building a new aircraft carrier when it leaked that a Changzhou manufacturer was awarded the contract to wire the ship. The reports in a blog and a state-run local newspaper were quickly redacted. The Washington Post reports:

The government in Changzhou, in eastern Jiangshu province, boasted on social media on Sunday that a local firm had won a contract to supply electrical cabling for the carrier. It later deleted the post, but not before it had been widely circulated. A report in a local newspaper was also withdrawn.

China Builds Second Aircraft Carrier

I'm not so sure it was an accidental leak or if it is disinformation. If it was down to a media blunder then they will likely pay a heavy price for the leak. Just shows though that China has the desire to expand their military arsenal. Carriers are game changers in warfare and offer extensive capabilities and applications. They still have a lot of catching up to do though if they hope to rival the US Navy.

posted on Feb, 4 2015 @ 06:22 PM
link   
Considering China has built no aircraft carriers, this one will be many many years away until it is in service,
edit on 4-2-2015 by hellobruce because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2015 @ 06:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: hellobruce
Considering China has built no aircraft carriers, this one will be many many years away until it is in service,
I would agree but then do we know for a fact they didn't already start it years ago?

posted on Feb, 4 2015 @ 06:24 PM
link   
a reply to: hellobruce

EDIT: sorry mate I misunderstood your post...I see what you are saying now...disregard my statement, but I'll leave the wiki link for anyone interested.

Im pretty sure China had one already...I remember cause it has that curved part at the end which I always thought looked weird.

wiki link here

en.wikipedia.org...

edit on 4-2-2015 by rockpaperhammock because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2015 @ 06:24 PM
link   
a reply to: sg1642

Their gunna need it. Just look at where all the population in china hangs out. They might have a large population. But besides civil war, The army is basically policing it's own citizens. Now an air-craft carrier to top it off.

China i don't think anyones going to attack you unless you do something stupid. I mean someone could. Considering all of Chinas major cities are along the pacific coast. That puts them in a vulnerable position. So the extra Air-craft carrier. I totally understand it.

posted on Feb, 4 2015 @ 06:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: AnuTyr
a reply to: sg1642

Their gunna need it. Just look at where all the population in china hangs out. They might have a large population. But besides civil war, The army is basically policing it's own citizens. Now an air-craft carrier to top it off.

China i don't think anyones going to attack you unless you do something stupid. I mean someone could. Considering all of Chinas major cities are along the pacific coast. That puts them in a vulnerable position. So the extra Air-craft carrier. I totally understand it.

The USA sure isn't going to attack China, our Economy would collapse because there wouldn't be hardly any product in the stores to sell.

posted on Feb, 4 2015 @ 06:36 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

Oh i never was suggesting the US would lol. Everyone is weary of everyone else. I think it's funny lots of westerners seem to think China would be unstopable. granted. No nation on this planet is unstopable.

If China is building an aircraft carrier. it's just a little reassurance xD

posted on Feb, 4 2015 @ 06:38 PM
link   
I'm sure everyone already figured they were building one. They recently finished their first carrier and one does not create the plans and machinery to build a carrier if they aren't planning to build several. This fits perfectly in line with Chinas attempts at increasing their force projection ability. Something to keep in mind though is that carriers do not travel alone, they may be your queen on the chessboard of naval positioning but they require support in order to be effective and not be exposed. For every carrier China builds they also need to build an additional 15 ships to support it. Making carrier groups is a long, drawn out, expensive process and while China has started doing so it will be decades before they can get up to the level the US is at now.

posted on Feb, 4 2015 @ 06:50 PM
link   
Second carrier ?

They still haven't built the first one yet.

They just bought one from Russia, and slapped the 'made in china' label on it.

posted on Feb, 4 2015 @ 06:59 PM
link   
Of course, how are they going to stake their claim in the South China sea without any force projection capabilities?

The surprise shouldn't be about the fact that they ARE building more, it should be about the fact that it took them this long.

posted on Feb, 4 2015 @ 07:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aazadan
They recently finished their first carrier

Sure about that? care to show us this "Chinese Built Carrier"?

posted on Feb, 4 2015 @ 07:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: Pants3204
The surprise shouldn't be about the fact that they ARE building more,

How can they build more when they have not even built one?

Just where are you getting your information from?

posted on Feb, 4 2015 @ 07:04 PM
link   
a reply to: hellobruce

My field of expertise isn't in the naval theater, I've just heard tidbits here and there on the internet about the Chinese "building" their first carrier.

Whether they actually have built one or not, my post is still valid.

posted on Feb, 4 2015 @ 07:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: hellobruce

originally posted by: Pants3204
The surprise shouldn't be about the fact that they ARE building more,

How can they build more when they have not even built one?

Just where are you getting your information from?

aircraft carrier

Hardly built by China though.

posted on Feb, 4 2015 @ 07:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: sg1642
...Carriers are game changers in warfare and offer extensive capabilities and applications...

Most top military planners see aircraft carriers as past ruling the seas now. Anti-ship missiles have improved so much that in truth defending the floating city isn't easy and certainly isn't guaranteed. Imagine 100 over the horizon missiles skimming the waters surface all headed for the one big ship. If one gets through the ship is toast...along with billions of equipment it was carrying.

They are great to project force against 2nd tier opponents or lower, but in the next really big war you won't see Aircraft carriers out there until things have been softened up significantly.

posted on Feb, 4 2015 @ 07:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: noeltrotsky

...Carriers are game changers in warfare and offer extensive capabilities and applications...

Most top military planners see aircraft carriers as past ruling the seas now. Anti-ship missiles have improved so much that in truth defending the floating city isn't easy and certainly isn't guaranteed. Imagine 100 over the horizon missiles skimming the waters surface all headed for the one big ship. If one gets through the ship is toast...along with billions of equipment it was carrying.

They are great to project force against 2nd tier opponents or lower, but in the next really big war you won't see Aircraft carriers out there until things have been softened up significantly.

I totally agree but it's a bit early to be writing off their importance.

posted on Feb, 4 2015 @ 07:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: noeltrotsky

I Agree.

Which is why China developed the mach 10 missile.

To neutralize our carriers if need be.

We have no countermeasure for these.

Maybe our new laser system once it if fully shaken down?

Now though....our missile interceptors would be useless, and poor c-wis would even see it coming.

posted on Feb, 4 2015 @ 08:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: neo96
Second carrier ?

My bad, I'm not an expert in military hardware. I was under the impression they had finished building their first carrier. Either way, this news should be no surprise and given the fact that carriers are losing their importance these days it seems like China is going to be a bit late to the party.

posted on Feb, 4 2015 @ 08:18 PM
link   

Second carrier ?

My bad, I'm not an expert in military hardware. I was under the impression they had finished building their first carrier. Either way, this news should be no surprise and given the fact that carriers are losing their importance these days it seems like China is going to be a bit late to the party.
they do have one they just never built it.

posted on Feb, 4 2015 @ 08:39 PM
link   

Second carrier ?

they do have one they just never built it.

Yes, they bought an old Russian carrier and refurbished it..

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join