It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My New AR-15

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 4 2015 @ 08:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Answer

Tactical benefit?

Are you posting from a war zone somewhere?

People generally don't buy ARs for home defense either.

I shoot because it's fun, it's a great hobby BECAUSE it's fun. If you like fun and shoot because it's fun I highly recommend considering a Slidefire stock.

If you shoot because you are a grim psycho who is counting the days until some Mad Max SHTF scenario turns the world into a vast wasteland through which you will deal death to the ragged remains of humanity with ultimate precision and tactical lethality, then no, no it's probably not for you.

posted on Feb, 4 2015 @ 08:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: abe froman

Tactical benefit?

Are you posting from a war zone somewhere?

People generally don't buy ARs for home defense either.

I shoot because it's fun, it's a great hobby BECAUSE it's fun. If you like fun and shoot because it's fun I highly recommend considering a Slidefire stock.

If you shoot because you are a grim psycho who is counting the days until some Mad Max SHTF scenario turns the world into a vast wasteland through which you will deal death to the ragged remains of humanity with ultimate precision and tactical lethality, then no, no it's probably not for you.

Some of us compete with our AR's, hunt with them, use them for home defense, carry one as a law enforcement patrol rifle, keep one around for the zombie apocalypse, etc.

If you're using the SlideFire on a fun-gun, go right ahead. Just making sure people don't make the mistake of thinking it's a beneficial accessory (says the idiot with an M-16).
edit on 2/4/2015 by Answer because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2015 @ 08:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: zombicide83
a reply to: abe froman

I don't mean to derail the thread, but can the slide fire stock be changed out with a regular stock fairly easily or is it a pain in the butt?

Kind of a pain, but worth the fun.

posted on Feb, 4 2015 @ 08:13 PM
link   
My apologies. The Slidefire is on one of my fun guns (M&P 15-22) helps keep the ammo price down.

However it's more precise than people seem to think.

With a little practice it's easy to get down to a reasonable sized grouping at 10-15 yards even for newer shooters who know better than to "spray and pray".

The tactical reasons for the Slidefire are the same as the tactical reason for any automatic weapon, cover fire. The Slidefire easily locks for single round fire, so normal operation is unaffected. Having the Slidefire in a SERIOUS situation is another valuable tool at your disposal, use sparingly.

and it's FUN !!! Did I mention how fun it is?

edit on 4-2-2015 by abe froman because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2015 @ 09:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: Answer

originally posted by: TinkerHaus

I could always bring them back on the quad rail - I might just go for broke and get a longer free floating rail.

When doing the swap like vxn's do you keep and use the handguard cap? I wanted to buy a complete AR before I attempted to build one, so this kind of stuff is exactly what I was looking for.

If you want to keep using your 2-piece rail, you'll have to keep the handguard cap regardless of which gas block you use.

You'll be MUCH happier switching to a longer rail. I've talked many many customers into longer handguards and they are always happy with their decision.

I would definitely like to go with a longer, floating rail - that has been the plan all along.

But I'm not certain on what parts are the correct parts. Do I just need a low profile gas block and the floating rail? Does the Delta Ring get removed in this configuration? What is used to secure the longer rail to the front of the barrel, or is nothing used?

If you have a Skype account and don't mind talking with me PM me your account info and I'll add you to a group of ATS people that chat there - one of these people in particular is quite knowledgeable with firearms but he hasn't been around much lately.

Hope I'm not breaking any rules inviting you to a chat outside of ATS.. If so, mods, please warn me and I will edit this post accordingly.

posted on Feb, 4 2015 @ 09:29 PM
link   
a reply to: TinkerHaus

Pro second, gun owner here, just thinking.

Why do most mass shootings involve ARs instead of AKs which are pretty equally owned I believe?

I've been considering an AR lately but id have to sell my KSG. I cant have everything I want, plus something about ARs has kept me away and I dont know why.
edit on 4-2-2015 by GogoVicMorrow because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2015 @ 09:44 PM
link   
No, sorry. I sold my Bushmaster and all the gear couple a years ago.

I decided to just stick with my 2 Mini-14's. The Bushmaster was nice but I like to shoot (and have close to 8,000 rounds stocked) of steel case stuff like Wolf ammo. The bushmaster would only shoot a few rounds and start having failures to feed and eject. Clean it and it would go another 5-8 rounds and start again.

The mini-14 is not quite as accurate at long ranges but it is reliable and is not picky as it will fire anything you stick in it.

At 200 yards the Ar has groups 1/4 of what the Mini-14 will do but as a SHTF rifle the Mini-14 will still put all the rounds center of mass at 200 yards. In a bad scenario it don't matter if the groups are 2" or 8" as long as the threat goes down.

Had the #1 Mini-14 since 1975 and have put a few thousand rounds through it and so far no issues at all.

Mini #2 I have had for 10 years and the only issues with it were the crappy aftermarket mags that came with it, switched to Ruger mags and all was good.

posted on Feb, 4 2015 @ 09:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: GogoVicMorrow

Pro second, gun owner here, just thinking.

Why do most mass shootings involve ARs instead of AKs which are pretty equally owned I believe?

I've been considering an AR lately but id have to sell my KSG. I cant have everything I want, plus something about ARs has kept me away and I dont know why.

There are a lot more AR's in the US than AK's. The reason so many of them show up in mass shootings is, in my opinion, two fold: popularity (sheer numbers) and the fact that a lot of the mass-shootings have been carried out by kids with a screw loose who've played a lot of video games. The M16/M4 is more common in Call of Duty games than the AK.

I'm not saying the video game had anything to do with the shooting but their weapon choice could have been influenced by the fantasy of the game.

posted on Feb, 5 2015 @ 01:24 AM
link   

Thats probably true and nd solid answer. I just know alot of people with wasr10s and other ak variants. Like pretty much everyone I know with an AR also has an ak.

posted on Feb, 5 2015 @ 02:02 AM
link   
You're missing your M320

posted on Feb, 5 2015 @ 02:42 AM
link   

projectvxn - what gas block conversion did you use? I like your setup, want to get rid of this front site tower and get some good backups asap.

Took an RDS off of one of my AKs - they are more fun with irons anyway.. Need to get something legitimate soon though.

I used a Sig M400 SRP base rifle. Didn't need to convert.

posted on Feb, 5 2015 @ 11:28 AM
link   
Smart, a post about what guns you own and some of you included pictures.
//sarcasm

posted on Feb, 5 2015 @ 01:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: Staroth
//sarcasm

There are gun forums with threads several hundred pages long full of people posting their firearms.

If you really think posting a picture of a legal gun online will get you in trouble or on some "list", you need to remove your tinfoil hat.

Besides, the ATF already has all my info.

posted on Feb, 5 2015 @ 04:36 PM
link   

//sarcasm

I have nothing to hide and no reason to hide it. I'm trying to figure out why you think people shouldn't post images of firearms on the internet?

I'm not using it for anything illegal. No one has been threatened or treated poorly.. Why is a firearm on the internet an immediate red flag for you if you don't have something to hide?

posted on Feb, 5 2015 @ 05:28 PM
link   

//sarcasm

I have nothing to hide and no reason to hide it. I'm trying to figure out why you think people shouldn't post images of firearms on the internet?

I'm not using it for anything illegal. No one has been threatened or treated poorly.. Why is a firearm on the internet an immediate red flag for you if you don't have something to hide?

Sent you a PM with my Skype info.

posted on Feb, 7 2015 @ 12:33 PM
link   
a reply to: abe froman

How in the world are you getting a slide fire to work on a 22lr? I wouldn't think it would have enough recoil. Just my opinion with little fact is all.

posted on Feb, 7 2015 @ 12:36 PM
link   

Its weekend did you test it out?.

posted on Feb, 7 2015 @ 12:36 PM
link   

//sarcasm

Its the ones they won't let you see someone needs to worry about.

edit on 7-2-2015 by hillbilly4rent because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2015 @ 12:57 PM
link   

That looks really nice, congratulations with your new shooter. The closest I will probably be to such a beauty is in a video game. You americans are spoiled to be allowed having such stuff.

posted on Feb, 7 2015 @ 01:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: zatara

That looks really nice, congratulations with your new shooter. The closest I will probably be to such a beauty is in a video game. You americans are spoiled to be allowed having such stuff.

Unfortunately its a enjoyment that is being stripped away from us a little at a time. So one day we may say the same thing.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join