It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Vermont’s New Latin motto; ignorant bigots bash Latinos

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 4 2015 @ 01:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: Blaine91555

originally posted by: Aloysius the Gaul
This really is just madness - ignorant bigoted, unthinking and stupid madness!!

The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

Political trolling is in fact another form of bigotry

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

What a great line. I never thought of it like that.

posted on Feb, 4 2015 @ 08:50 AM
link   
I'm a Vermonter and I love my state. The "fourteenth star" reference is to the fact that Vermont was the fourteenth state (I'm sure most of you already knew that) and I think it's a great Latin motto. The ignoramuses bashing on this as if it were a result of hispanic influence is just ridiculous.

P.S. the state name "Vermont" is from "Les monts verts" (the green mountains) and we have a lot of Quebecoise who come to visit so even though it's one of the least diverse states, there are some multi-cultural elements. Plus a lot of refugees come to Vermont from Africa, Bosnia, and other Eastern European countries so I don't really understand why people are having a fit - we are becoming more diverse by the minute. Complainers should go pick up a book, learn something, or put a cork in it!

a reply to: Aloysius the Gaul

posted on Feb, 4 2015 @ 09:10 AM
link   
a reply to: FamCore

I love your state, too.
If I had a fantasy to live in another state other than my own, I would pick Vermont.

a reply to: Dembow

That was sooooo funny!
.....and, sadly, probably true

posted on Feb, 4 2015 @ 09:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: riiver
a reply to: amazing
But, in all honesty and seriousness, do you really think that highly intelligent people buy into Fox News's take on things?

Oh, indeed! I've worked with them and have them as family members and in-laws. Sometimes intelligence combines with certain traits to produce utter nonsense, even dangerous nonsense. And, BTW, they are nice people, not monsters or anything like that. Couldn't tell by looking at them or being around them. Until five minutes into a conversation out comes the foolishness, the nonsense.
edit on 4-2-2015 by desert because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2015 @ 11:56 AM
link   
Hmm.

Means "latin". The culture and language of ancient Italy. The Roman Empire took over most of Europe and influenced their languages and cultures, so it "latinized" the continent and the new languages are called Romance Languages (with roots in Rome)

Latino is a person who speaks a romance language (i.e. Italian, Spanish, French, Portuguese) or their cultural heritage comes from any country that speaks any of those languages.

In the US the word latino is misused to name only people from Latin America. The Latin America was a term first created to mean "the part of America ruled by Latino countries, Spain and Portugal" in opposition to the Anglo-Saxon America, ruled by the British (now Eastern United State

www.urbandictionary.com...

Back to mocking those 'conservatives'.

posted on Feb, 4 2015 @ 12:31 PM
link   
a reply to: neo96

Yes we call them Latin Americans or Latino.
Does not mean that they are speaking latin.

The comments make zero sense, but keep trying neo. Do you have a problem with what is printed on our currency?

edit on thWed, 04 Feb 2015 12:56:04 -0600America/Chicago220150480 by Sremmos80 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2015 @ 12:37 PM
link   

Latino is a person who speaks a romance language (i.e. Italian, Spanish, French, Portuguese) or their cultural heritage comes from any country that speaks any of those languages.

You know what they say about Mexicans: sitting around all day sipping wine, and eating snails.

amirite?

Neo....you are making a mess of your own argument. Which is fine, since it is wholly untopical here. But sometimes its better to just live to fight another day.
edit on 2/4/2015 by bigfatfurrytexan because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2015 @ 12:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: amazing
The problem here is that there is a whole subset of Americans who self-identify as conservative/republican who really are this stupid. This subset is in the tens of millions, very loud, very outraged and very angry and actually wield some pretty good political clout and power. They have blogs and are politicians and talk show hosts and lawyers and judges and Mayors and police officers and preachers and teachers and on and on.
As observed by John Stuart Mill, "Although it is not true that all conservatives are stupid people, it is true that most stupid people are conservative."
Mmmmm...does that help?

posted on Feb, 4 2015 @ 12:58 PM
link   
Dude...Spanish is a Latin language like English is a Germanic language. May as well hassle you for your obvious Nazi connection 'cuz you speak English.

posted on Feb, 4 2015 @ 06:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: defcon5

Oh jeeze!
lmfao

posted on Feb, 4 2015 @ 06:47 PM
link   
a reply to: 3n19m470

Seriously read the comments sections of anything that allows them. It's hilarious and depressing all at once.

posted on Feb, 4 2015 @ 06:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: Dembow
Somebody should suggest making Arabic numerals
the official numerals of the state just to mess with them.

They'll probably ban math.

Awesome hahaha...

posted on Feb, 4 2015 @ 07:26 PM
link   
So I guess it's safe to assume that language roots/origins is not a part of the English/Language Arts class curriculum in Vermont schools ?

Oops sorry... I may have caused some confusion since the word 'curriculum' is latin in origin.

I'll try this again:

So I guess it's safe to assume that language roots/origins is not a part of the English/Language Arts class running courses in Vermont schools ?

posted on Feb, 4 2015 @ 07:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: CranialSponge
So I guess it's safe to assume that language roots/origins is not a part of the English/Language Arts class curriculum in Vermont schools ?

Oops sorry... I may have caused some confusion since the word 'curriculum' is latin in origin.

I'll try this again:

So I guess it's safe to assume that language roots/origins is not a part of the English/Language Arts class running courses in Vermont schools ?

We don't need none of that fancy learnin.

posted on Feb, 4 2015 @ 08:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: neo96

Well ain't this a load of snip.

So instead bigots bash conservatives eh.

Pot meet kettle.

LOL It's because these conservatives are so stupid. You don't think these people are retarded? I'm an independent, so I can make fun of everyone!

I hate to break it to some people but the left isn't as smart as they think themselves to be.

Right, but we're talking about the outrage of the right and this one issue. So much misplaced outrage here, just like most conservatives that get whipped up to a frenzy by American traitors like Limbaugh and Hannity and their ilk.

Probably 100% of these people outraged by this announcement, and there where hundreds of them, were all conservatives or republicans.

What does that tell you?

It tells me this

www.youtube.com...

posted on Feb, 5 2015 @ 02:03 AM
link   

Vermont is a Blue Democrat state. Can you prove the people posting are Republicans?

posted on Feb, 5 2015 @ 02:47 AM
link   
a reply to: OccamsRazor04

Why would I bother?

posted on Feb, 5 2015 @ 03:53 AM
link   

Because Vermont is not a Conservative state, but you mentioned it was them, with no evidence to support it. I think you would bother because otherwise you are making unverified statements, and I would think you would choose to deny ignorance rather than propagate it.

posted on Feb, 5 2015 @ 01:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sunwolf

Pot meet kettle.

LOL It's because these conservatives are so stupid. You don't think these people are retarded? I'm an independent, so I can make fun of everyone!

I hate to break it to some people but the left isn't as smart as they think themselves to be.

Right, but we're talking about the outrage of the right and this one issue. So much misplaced outrage here, just like most conservatives that get whipped up to a frenzy by American traitors like Limbaugh and Hannity and their ilk.

Probably 100% of these people outraged by this announcement, and there where hundreds of them, were all conservatives or republicans.

What does that tell you?

It tells me this

www.youtube.com...

LOL What does that video have to do with anything? Not outraged, not complaining about the "Latins" and how they should go home to..uh..maybe Iron Age, west coast Italy? LOL

posted on Feb, 6 2015 @ 08:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: Quetzalcoatl14

Pot meet kettle.

The left has it's excesses and idiots, but it is factually true that with higher levels of education, a higher percentage of people are generally more liberal, on everything from the environment to birth control to religion. All correlations, but well known.

They sure don't show it.

Listen to these 'high' IQ liberals.

20 great moments in liberal bigotry

Back to the delusion the LEFT is better, and smarter than the RIGHT.

I would look at the correlations between higher levels of education and liberalism. It's well established. This is actually true across multiple countries.

As I had said, there are exceptions on both sides, and there are liberal idiots. There also can be liberal bigots.

But you can simultaneously believe in real conservative principles and recognize that there is a higher percentage of uneducated or ignorant people that label themselves as such.

This doesn't mean that I think all conservative ideas are wrong by any means, nor that liberal ideas are always right. Do you see what I am saying?

My own sister is a conservative who moved to the south with her family a number of years back. She's also a Christian. Just yesterday she told me there are a lot of ignorant conservative people, often racist, hateful, you name it.

Instead of debating it, I think that the intelligent conservatives might try to figure out why there are so many and why education correlates with less conservative ideas.
edit on 6-2-2015 by Quetzalcoatl14 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join