It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Christians, are violent old testament verses relevant to your beliefs today?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 09:55 AM
link   
Your so called "holy bible" drips with the blood of men, women, children, infants and old people slaughtered by Old Testament warlords. Im sure you Bible experts know the verses Im talking about so don't ask me for citations. While I am most aware of the threat posed by radical Islam its most laughable whenever Christians point fingers at islamic violence. Its a complete pot/kettle moment.

"But biblical violence happened in the past"

If it is purely a "past" thing, then what are those nasty verses from the past doing in your Bibles in this age? Or do you retain then because they are somehow relevant to your theology? If so, then don't bother telling me the details because Christians and Muslims fall in the same category.

If those verses are not relevant to you then I dare you to rip out them out of the Bible since you don't need them anymore in the 21st century. Then, at least have the integrity to admit that bible violence and genocide was a bad thing. But nooo you're going to justify it or tell me that its a good thing because God ordered it or something.

I guess barbaric violence is only acceptable if your team does it, right?

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 10:01 AM
link   
a reply to: rokkuman

Not really... Hence the words "Old Testament", and "New Testament". I guess you could say it would be like comparing the values and beliefs of the Democratic party of 150 years ago here in the United States to the current crop of Democrats.

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 10:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: rokkuman

Your so called "holy bible" drips with the blood of men, women, children, infants and old people slaughtered by Old Testament warlords. Im sure you Bible experts know the verses Im talking about so don't ask me for citations. While I am most aware of the threat posed by radical Islam its most laughable whenever Christians point fingers at islamic violence. Its a complete pot/kettle moment.

If it is purely a "past" thing, then what are those nasty verses from the past doing in your Bibles in this age? Or do you retain then because they are somehow relevant to your theology? If so, then don't bother telling me the details because Christians and Muslims fall in the same category.

If those verses are not relevant to you then I dare you to rip out them out of the Bible since you don't need them anymore in the 21st century. Then, at least have the integrity to admit that bible violence and genocide was a bad thing. But nooo you're going to justify it or tell me that its a good thing because God ordered it or something.

Where is the world wide Christian Terrorist Group Crusading across the planet in the Name of God and the Holy Bible?

We live in the year 2015, we have to use what's relevant now, this whole "lets go in the past to prove you're just as bad as us" nonsense will work against any group in history. Some of my ancestors were slaves, some were slave owners, some were crusaders some were rapists, murderers, some probably sacrificed lambs and drank their blood in the name of the holy God Thor, but what did I do this morning? I got up had my coffee and went to work.

Lets stop living in the past, and maybe all these reasons for "Jihad" wouldn't make so much sense to those with no sense. "2000 years ago blah blah blah" no one cares, just STOP KILLING PEOPLE ALREADY!

edit on 2/3/2015 by PsychoEmperor because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 10:04 AM
link   
No, they are not relevant.

The vast majority of Christians live in the 21st century and are able to contextualise.

The Old Testament is a narrative that many use and consider to be an allegory, if referenced at all.

You need to judge people by the way they act and how they contextualise the words. Many Christians believe that women should not be bishops (in the Anglian communion, that is), but they don't blow people up because of that difference. Nor do gays get thrown off buildings by Christians because somewhere in the Bible it suggests that man should not bonk man.

Regards

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 10:05 AM
link   
I think the old testament was partially attached to show us what not to do. The trouble is that some people took it wrongly, as evidence that they could kill people that did not agree with their beliefs.

I wish that they would teach that it is there to show some of the mistakes that were made.

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 10:07 AM
link   

God ordered the killing of nations in the OT to protect His nation of Israel. Back then, the Israelites had a direct means of communication with God as a nation. God created all of us, it is His sovreign will to choose who lives and dies.

How many people have already been murdered for the greater good of the NWO? How many more murders can be justified for its "inevitable" establishment?

The first world order was under Nimrod, and God liberated mankind by destroying that order and dividing it into nations. Most of the OT violence was done to prevent the re-organization of the world order.

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 10:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: darkwingduck

Not really... Hence the words "Old Testament", and "New Testament". I guess you could say it would be like comparing the values and beliefs of the Democratic party of 150 years ago here in the United States to the current crop of Democrats.

apples and oranges because politics isn't the same as religion. Politics evolves to catch up with existing social values but apparently religion is retains everything from the past.

Or do christians not consider the ultra-violent old testament to be part of their faith?

How exactly is a prayer calling for dashing the enemies baby against a rock even relevant to christianity today? If it isn't then why are they holding on to violent verses in their books?

Isn't it time to purge the Bible of its violence?

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 10:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: PsychoEmperor

originally posted by: rokkuman

Where is the world wide Christian Terrorist Group Crusading across the planet in the Name of God and the Holy Bible?:

Its not there.
But since Christians are such good people who only want the best for you and me what exactly are they doing with violent Biblical verses?

edit on 3-2-2015 by rokkuman because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 10:13 AM
link   
Christians are dropping the OT like it's hot......they just cannot justify it in today's secular society.

But plenty will still drop the 10 commandments or a line from Leviticus when it suits them.

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 10:16 AM
link   
a reply to: PsychoEmperor

Where is the world wide Christian Terrorist Group Crusading across the planet in the Name of God and the Holy Bible?

How could you miss it? Christian terror reigned for more than 1600+ years! We're still reeling from the consequences of Christianity conquest and Puritanism across the planet.
edit on 3-2-2015 by windword because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 10:16 AM
link   
Pulling chapters out of the bible would be the same as denying that it ever happened. Why would you want to try to erase history? We are supposed to learn from our past.

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 10:18 AM
link   
No, they aren't relevant to me.

But nooo you're going to justify it or tell me that its a good thing because God ordered it or something.

Are you sure of that?

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 10:19 AM
link   

Progress is a fine thing indeed, the current iteration of Christianity can hardly be held accountable for books written by Man 1000s of years previous.

Why would you suggest anyone destroy a book, or remove chapters to suite there own agenda, however misguided it may be?

You do realise this has indeed been done before regarding the Bible ultimately a destructive process if you ask me.
edit on 3-2-2015 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 10:19 AM
link   
Your a funny boy all you do is critique and attack what you dont know like ive quoted you in the past you are attacking once again w no proof just speculation you know ATS was created to discuss these things but most of the time people provide proof usually that is what is done to prove ones point.. ill leave it at that i dont condone the past but like others have said we are jn a different time now.

Also you keep attacking the bible what is your quarrel let it out something is adding gas to your fire is it your misintrepritation of the bible or your misunderstanding your new to ats and the majority of your posts are attacking on the basis of here say so lets start quoting and providing sources it will help prove your illegitimate posts as well!!! a reply to: rokkuman

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 10:20 AM
link   
Honestly it depends on the Christian. Some say that Jesus allegedly dying on a wooden x makes the book obsolete, then they tell you being gay is a sin, while eating shrimp and getting tattoos.

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 10:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: Hoosierdaddy71
Pulling chapters out of the bible would be the same as denying that it ever happened. Why would you want to try to erase history? We are supposed to learn from our past.

They can always preserve it as a history book but not as part of a "holy" book they follow. Unless of course, they equate instuctions to slaughter men, women and children as being "holy" acts. If they believe that then they are psychologically no different from IS.

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 10:24 AM
link   
Because IS is such a great comparrison...wow a reply to: rokkuman

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 10:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: ATF1886
Your a funny boy all you do is critique and attack what you dont know like ive quoted you in the past you are attacking once again w no proof just speculation you know ATS was created to discuss these things but most of the time people provide proof usually that is what is done to prove ones point.. ill leave it at that i dont condone the past but like others have said we are jn a different time now.

Also you keep attacking the bible what is your quarrel let it out something is adding gas to your fire is it your misintrepritation of the bible or your misunderstanding your new to ats and the majority of your posts are attacking on the basis of here say so lets start quoting and providing sources it will help prove your illegitimate posts as well!!! a reply to: rokkuman

drama much?
I'm not attacking the bible.
Just pointing out that it contains some nasty bits and asking what relevance it has to Christians today?
I also want to know if Christians would condemn Biblical violence.

link   
a reply to: BELIEVERpriest

God ordered the killing of nations in the OT to protect His nation of Israel. Back then, the Israelites had a direct means of communication with God as a nation. God created all of us, it is His sovreign will to choose who lives and dies.

Common, but tired, Christian apologetics!

Here's a disturbing statement by the infamous Christian Apologist, William Lane Craig, on the death of innocent children in the Old Testament.

"But why take the lives of innocent children? The terrible totality of the destruction was undoubtedly related to the prohibition of assimilation to pagan nations on Israel's part. In commanding complete destruction of the Canaanites, the Lord says, 'You shall not intermarry with them, giving your daughters to their sons, or taking their daughters for your sons, for they would turn away your sons from following me, to serve other gods' (Deut 7.3-4).

God knew that if these Canaanite children were allowed to live, they would spell the undoing of Israel.

Moreover, if we believe, as I do, that God's grace is extended to those who die in infancy or as small children, the death of these children was actually their salvation. We are so wedded to an earthly, naturalistic perspective that we forget that those who die are happy to quit this earth for heaven's incomparable joy. Therefore, God does these children no wrong in taking their lives."

"So whom does God wrong in commanding the destruction of the Canaanites? Not the Canaanite adults, for they were corrupt and deserving of judgment. Not the children, for they inherit eternal life. So who is wronged? Ironically, I think the most difficult part of this whole debate is the apparent wrong done to the Israeli [sic] soldiers themselves. Can you imagine what it would be like to have to break into some house and kill a terrified woman and her children? The brutalising effect on these Israeli [sic] soldiers is disturbing."
en.wikiquote.org...

So, there it is folks! According to Christian apologists, the real victims of all the violence perpetrated on innocents by the Israelites, on the orders of the Old Testament God, were THE ISRAELITES!

You can try, but I don't believe that you can get much more twisted than the above logic!

edit on 3-2-2015 by windword because: (no reason given)

link   
NVM.
edit on 2/3/2015 by ladyinwaiting because: (no reason given)

<<   2  3  4 >>

join