It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Medina", Kansas? "Mecca",Ohio? "Mahomet",Illinois?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 01:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: rokkuman

originally posted by: Elton
a reply to: rokkuman

Why wouldn't they?

Because it simply doesn't add up. Its like the Chinese naming their towns "Birmingham" or "London".

Islam was completely irrelevant to American society in the 1800's so why would Americans name places after Islamic names?

well to start with mecca has more than one meaning

(as noun a Mecca) A place which attracts people of a particular group or with a particular interest: Holland is a Mecca for jazz enthusiasts

www.oxforddictionaries.com...

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 01:42 AM
link   

Could it be they just wanted to say that their town was the best and that is how they got that across?

Also anything to further your theory of possible sharia zones outside of just the name?

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 01:44 AM
link   

of course I did my research but the question remains why were Americans in the 1800's naming places "Mecca", "Medina" and "Mahomet"?? It makes no sense to me.

I would hardly consider a quick Google search and reading the Wikipedia articles "research". If you had actually spent more than 5 minutes looking into the matter you would have found that 2 of the, have rather boring and benign origins. Mahomet was taken from the local Masonic Lodge when the township was forced to change its name from the original Middleburgh to avoid confusion with another nearby town with the same name. It has nothing to do with Islam. Likewise, Mecca doesn't refer solely to the birthplace of Mohammed, its also a term used to describe a place that is a "must see". For example, "Disney World is a mecca of Tourism". The Saudi Arabian city is a noun, the colloquialism is an adjective. It's 2:30 AM here so I'm not going to finish your homework for you. The above took me less than 10 minutes of quick research. If you're going to post something in the conspiracy forum, perhaps a little due dilligence and an actual conspiracy might be included in your future "to do" lists instead of " whoa holy crap there are towns in 'Murica with names that sound too Muslim does this mean Sharia Law is coming to a theater near you sometime soon?".

Its no more nefarious than having a house number of 666 or nick naming a roadway "The Devils Highway" or some such silliness.

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 01:48 AM
link   

Islam was completely irrelevant to American society in the 1800's so why would Americans name places after Islamic names?

There was a fairly large influx of Arabs coming to America in the mid-19th century, although I'm not sure if they named any towns.

The next significant wave of Muslim immigrants began in the mid-19th century. During the late 19th century until the 1920s, large numbers of Arabs, mostly from Lebanon and Greater Syria, arrived in the United States. Although the majority of these immigrants (almost 90%) were Arab Christians, there were sizable clusters of Muslims, most of whom settled in the Midwest.

www.tolerance.org...

It could also just be that whomever named the towns was interested in Arab culture. It certainly doesn't automatically mean that Muslims were trying to take over America.

There are lots and lots and lots of towns and cities in North America. There are all kinds of names for those towns and cities. You are bound to come across Hebrew names and Arabic names and Russian names and African names, and Egyptian names, etc., etc., etc.

edit on 3-2-2015 by kaylaluv because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 01:49 AM
link   
Why stop there; there is Medina, Washington! Medina County in Ohio!

In all seriousness; my brief and shallow research led me to understand that through immigration and attraction to great mid-west factories of the time led to an influx of Arabs (you know...getting away from oppression and seeing a better life) and possibly naming of a founded city. No conspiracy, no deep dark magic, just part of our National fabric.

Also to note: Names of cities do not denote a culture nor a religion. It could have been random, or another meaning as highlighted, or some settler that liked how it rolled off the tongue.
edit on 3-2-2015 by ownbestenemy because: (no reason given)

edit on 3-2-2015 by ownbestenemy because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 01:52 AM
link   

I was likely wrong about Mahomet here is the official word

It is assumed that the name Mahomet was arbitrarily assigned to this Middletown's post office in Washington, D.C.. In his article, "Middletown Becomes Mahomet", Dan McCollum states, "It is likely that the post office was the most important feature of the village, causing that name to be used instead of the local name.

Still not scary to me, but I am not scared of Islam even today (so far all the Muslims I know and work with are great people).

edit on 3-2-2015 by Elton because: I love you...

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 01:53 AM
link   

a reply to: xuenchen

Knowledge does not always equal fear.

and fine, Mahomet was named after Mason Lodge.
Medina is common name Spanish used to name lots of things.
IDK about Mecca, probably named after Mecca.

So we can probably all relax now, thread level plaid.

no lets not relax.

"Mahomet" is not mason lodge, its Latin or French for Mohammad. What are you trying to pull here?

And for "Medina", its not Spanish...the place was going to be named "Mecca", proving those who were naming that place wanted it to sound Islamic.

Yes... Mahomet IS the local Masonic Lodge. Do you have a citation showing showing that Medina was originally going to be called Mecca? This whole thread reeks of illogical and ignorance based fear mongering.

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 01:56 AM
link   
Mahomet.
Baphomet.
Need I say more?

Ok just this:
(originally used to describe an idol or other deity that the Knights Templar were accused of worshiping..)

Did the KT split into Masonic/illuminati factions as we know them today?

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 02:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: peter vlar

a reply to: xuenchen

Knowledge does not always equal fear.

and fine, Mahomet was named after Mason Lodge.
Medina is common name Spanish used to name lots of things.
IDK about Mecca, probably named after Mecca.

So we can probably all relax now, thread level plaid.

no lets not relax.

"Mahomet" is not mason lodge, its Latin or French for Mohammad. What are you trying to pull here?

And for "Medina", its not Spanish...the place was going to be named "Mecca", proving those who were naming that place wanted it to sound Islamic.

Yes... Mahomet IS the local Masonic Lodge. Do you have a citation showing showing that Medina was originally going to be called Mecca? This whole thread reeks of illogical and ignorance based fear mongering.

Mahomet according to wiki:

The Illinois town's name derives from the "Mahomet Lodge," the local Masonic Lodge at the time the town was searching for a new name. Its use as the name of the lodge was a manifestation of the Freemasons' liberal use of religious names and stonemason tools and symbols. An alternative theory states that the name Mahomet was arbitrarily assigned when the conflicting names were noted by the US Postal Service.
Although the unusual spelling, which is French for Mohammed, sometimes confuses newcomers, the pronunciation of Mahomet is muh-HOMM-it.

en.wikipedia.org...

You asked me,

Do you have a citation showing showing that Medina was originally going to be called Mecca?

I learned that it was already called Mecca, but renamed to Medina because there was ANOTHER town named Mecca!!

From Ohio History Centrals website...

Medina is the county seat of Medina County, Ohio. Founded as the county seat in 1816, the community was originally named Mecca, after the birthplace of the prophet Mohammed.

www.ohiohistorycentral.org...

There you go.
edit on 3-2-2015 by rokkuman because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 02:05 AM
link   
I am now totally convinced that the plan to Islamize North America is not merely a few decades old, rather it goes back to the 1800's!

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 02:09 AM
link   

My reaction reading that..

I think you need more then 3 cities named over 100 years ago.

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 02:14 AM
link   
As little as a few decades ago, before the great islamaphobia started, names like medina and mecca sounded exotic and exciting. I know this cause I was a travel nerd as a kid and read all the old books and mags about such fabulous places. They had a different context back then, so for a town built in the 1800's even further back, who knows but I would bet it wasn't sharia anything. Maybe a little Islamic colony that influenced the area, or some romantic notion such as I mentioned.

Think about Memphis, Tennessee? If we all had Egyptaphobia that's the town we'd be talking about.

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 02:39 AM
link   
Mecca ?
Medina ?

Pfft...

Try living in this little town in Newfoundland, Canada:

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 03:19 AM
link   
Look at the date "rokkuman" opened his account...nuff said. They will learn.

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 03:42 AM
link   
Orrrrr, instead of acting paranoid & idiotic about it, you could just settle for the basic American way of naming places --- ripping off other spots because we can't come up with much of our own (our entire goddamn language is a rip-off of others, why would place names be any different?)

I'm from Florida, which boasts towns with names such as Venice (shall we fear Italians?) Dunedin (fear the Scots, too, since it's based on the Scottish Gaelic version of Edinburgh?) There's a Bristol (English invasion looming?) A Havana (Cubans invading now?) Interlachen (named for Interlaken, Switzerland. I thought those Swiss were supposed to be neutral?) Inverness (MORE proof of Scottish desires for our land?) Lake Placid (fearing giant crocs or gators I can kind of understand) There's also Jupiter Inlet & Neptune Beach (ancient Roman conspiracy?)

Sure doesn't look like much other than either ripping place names off, or just naming them after places well-liked when you look at it logically.

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 03:45 AM
link   
a reply to: CranialSponge

There's a Climax here in Michigan. I'm not kidding. Dildo, Newfoundland & Climax, MI should team up for a tourist commercial series.

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 04:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: Leonidas
Look at the date "rokkuman" opened his account...nuff said. They will learn.

I have no idea what that is supposed to mean.

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 04:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: Nyiah
Orrrrr, instead of acting paranoid & idiotic about it..

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 05:40 AM
link   
Thomas Jefferson had a copy of the Quran...

Big deal...

Your Congressmen who are Muslim use it to take the Oath instead of the Bible...

Must be Islamization

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 07:29 AM
link   
There's also a Baghdad Arizona..

There's a Beirut somewhere on the East Coast.

Pretty sure there's a Moscow in the U S somewhere.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join