It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I have a secret TV obsession

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 08:47 PM
link   
- ANTIQUES ROADSHOW

- AMERICAN PICKERS

I don't know if it's the Treasure Hunter in me but I looooove when they find a big one.
I also laugh when people on AR who look like they are are trouble end up getting their comeuppance. Like a snooty ol cow brings in her ex husbands family heirloom thinking she has scored, and finds out its worth 100 dollars.

Sometimes their darkness makes me laugh as they smile as say "wonderful" and inside they are dying.

That is all.

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 09:00 PM
link   
a reply to: zazzafrazz

Take comfort in knowing that you're not alone... my hubby is also an addict of those two shows.

My weakness is any and all home reno shows.

Oh, and "Diners Drive-Ins and Dives" on the HGTV channel.

Edit:

Wait... hold on.

Diners Drive-ins and Dives is on the Food Network.
Home reno shows are on HGTV.

See ? I'm so addicted, I'm confused.

edit on 2-2-2015 by CranialSponge because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 09:01 PM
link   
a reply to: CranialSponge

WHo is the lass that flips the victorian houses? She's cool.

The flipping vegas couple I watched once and wanted to summarily suicide.

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 09:02 PM
link   
I used to have to watch antiques roadshow with my old girlfriend. It was her dream to go, so I found out it was going to be in Billings, MT later that year. We lived in Missoula so it wasn't too far away. I bought tickets from some guy of of eBay and surprised her. We get there and brought a couple things to get looked at. After waiting in a line for about 3 hours we had one thing looked at. They knew less about the items then we did. It was nothing like the tv show, what happens is that they find the items they are going to put on the show and research them extensively then make it look like they were just in line waiting, 100% scripted. Such a scam! I haven't watched the show since. Seriously, nothing is real on tv.

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 09:06 PM
link   

WHo is the lass that flips the victorian houses? She's cool.

The flipping vegas couple I watched once and wanted to summarily suicide.

Is that the blonde gal ?
Yeah, I like some of the stuff she does with the old rundown victorian homes.

Not sure who the vegas couple is you're talking about, which probably means I took a glance at the show and turned it off. LOL

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 09:07 PM
link   

Have you seen genealogy roadshow?

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 09:15 PM
link   
a reply to: bananashooter

Awww!

I know a bit about scripted shows personally, but I won't let you take the shine of my antiques sir!

edit on 2-2-2015 by zazzafrazz because: typo

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 09:17 PM
link   
The Child trafficking roadshow is super intense. Your skeleton would ooze out your orphus's at the prices those dimes go for. Just sucks it's subtitled and has Mexican clowns making
faces in real fast pan in's and out's. Then when they drop balloons on the kids and tell them it was all a joke. Most of the kids then expect to see their parents come out as if they were pranked, but they cut to an Ortega taco sauce commercial. I'm pretty sure it's not a prank, just a lighter side of the trafficking business. Univision is Unibomb!

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 09:18 PM
link   
a reply to: Sremmos80

I haven't, is it like 'Who do you think you are', or is it run by the mormans who are trying to trace everyones genealogy?

edit on 2-2-2015 by zazzafrazz because: typo

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 09:21 PM
link   
a reply to: iDope

eerrr what?

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 09:22 PM
link   

Hahaha, I can't confirm or deny the mormon angle but it's pretty much set up like antique but just about people finding out about thier genealogy.

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 11:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: bananashooter
I used to have to watch antiques roadshow with my old girlfriend. It was her dream to go, so I found out it was going to be in Billings, MT later that year. We lived in Missoula so it wasn't too far away. I bought tickets from some guy of of eBay and surprised her. We get there and brought a couple things to get looked at. After waiting in a line for about 3 hours we had one thing looked at. They knew less about the items then we did. It was nothing like the tv show, what happens is that they find the items they are going to put on the show and research them extensively then make it look like they were just in line waiting, 100% scripted. Such a scam! I haven't watched the show since. Seriously, nothing is real on tv.

Did you really think they were going to film and broadcast every person's items? It's a TV show: it's heightened reality. If they broadcast six hours of people shuffling through presenting letter openers and thumb tack collections it would be unwatchable.

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 12:51 AM
link   

- ANTIQUES ROADSHOW

Just watched two episodes. Freaking love it.

I certainly enjoy the big dollar surprises, but more than that I like seeing these things that have been with a family for years and those families or individuals getting the history behind something they've held dear. I think for a lot of people it helps to connect with the person that handed it down, and I find it rather charming and sweet, even if it's sometimes bittersweet.

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 09:15 AM
link   
I thought you were going to say wrestling, not that I am in to that, no, no, no

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 11:32 PM
link   
a reply to: Domo1

I saw a table once made in Boston valued at over 250K! On the original British series they had a painting that was valued over 2 million! She found it somewhere like an attic

posted on Feb, 4 2015 @ 01:00 AM
link   

That's nuts.

I'm getting pretty good at guessing the price of things, but sometimes I am completely blown away. I actually think I'm just reading the experts body language, but I like to pretend.

Girlfriend and I went antique furniture shopping the other day for the new house. We were both fairly excited, then after about 2 hours realized we both hate antique furniture! To be fair, we don't actually hate it, we just think it would look out of place and stupid in our house, and both of us prefer a more country style of decorating. I'm sure I walked past a few pieces that were worth a ton, I don't know how some people have such a breadth of knowledge about things that were created so long ago. Is there an "Antiques For Dummies" book? Actually, there probably is. Some of those people seem to know a ton about everything... not just furniture, or signs, or weird ceramics. Any idea if they just know or have to Google?

posted on Feb, 8 2015 @ 01:18 AM
link   
If Antiques Roadshow comes to your town its $25 each item you want looked at...

top topics

join