It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Schools sends kids home coatless in 30 degree weather: Violates School uniform

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 10:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: LOSTinAMERICA

originally posted by: Anyafaj

originally posted by: LOSTinAMERICA
Are you seriously reassessing that home schooling yet? All of your problems can go away only to be filled with new ones. Except the new ones will be policed by you. Public school is dog excrement. Pull you children out before big brother turns them against you or society as a whole.

I know I made the list with that statement.

Be sure to get certification. In the last county I lived in you had to have an associated degree in teaching just to homeschool your kids. I was looking at the requirements (now mind you I was 6 months away from an associates degree), they're requirements were stricter than a certificate for kindergarten teaching. Obviously to discourage homeschooling, but all I could think was you have GOT to be kidding me. I would have to go back to college for at least a 1 JUST to homeschool my daughter. It was no wonder more kids were taught in that pitiful town than homeschooled.

You can hire a teacher who is. My cousin is doing so right now. It's not that expensive.

I will be the first to admit, this I did not know. Though, being on disability due to severe health problems, I might not have been able to afford it back then. Plus they would have had to have been qualified with special needs.

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 10:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: Elton

originally posted by: stirling
The teachers need to be dragged out and whipped with barbed wire.....

Most of the educators I know are great people who genuinely care about they kids they teach.

You would really wish physical harm on them over a coat?

Definitely...........!
Take my kids coat and id do them my ownself...happily....this kind of teacher is suffering psychological problems....
And contaminating their minds too....

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 10:56 PM
link   
a reply to: stirling

Wow.

Thanks for the honest answer.

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 04:51 AM
link   
a reply to: Anyafaj

The applicable staff at that school should be subject to Drug and Alcohol testing and even if they test negative they should also have a full psychological evaluation - only someone off their chops or mentally unstable has a thought-process that results in harming a child or putting a child at risk.

And YES - where is child protective services!!!!!!!

*** CRICKETS ***

edit on 3-2-2015 by Sublimecraft because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 05:40 AM
link   

Someone ought to let them know it's called common sense, not common idiocy.

Wonder if an attempted theft charge would stick?

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 05:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: MysterX

Someone ought to let them know it's called common sense, not common idiocy.

Wonder if an attempted theft charge would stick?

Maybe if each and every 20 parents filed a theft charge with the police, even though it might be a misdemeanor with probation, or what have you, it might b enough to wake that teacher up and teach THEM the lesson. Even though the teacher has been discharged from the school, I'd say to the parents keep the idea in mind. They might need it.

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 06:04 AM
link   
Once again a school administrator/teacher proves how poor they can be with using common sense. 100% brain washed into blindly following some set of rules or guidelines.

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 06:09 AM
link   
The first thing I think I would do is call the school and tell them
1. I don't feel comfortable about leaving my kid home alone while I come pick up his coat
2. He only has one coat and you happen to have it!
3. So if you want him or me back into your school anytime soon well you need to deliver his coat to his home!
otherwise oh well guess I'll be making a preemptive strike and calling the police and reporting the theft and endangerment of the child!

But I am certainly not gonna drag him out into the cold just to be accused of endangerment myself or have him being reported for truancy!

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 06:30 AM
link   

The attempted theft charge on the teachers permanent record might be enough to ensure that individual idiot remains out of teaching for good, before they can do real harm to a kid.

Good riddance IMO. Just hope the idiot doesn't join the Police force, there's enough psychos there already in the US.

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 06:55 AM
link   
a reply to: dawnstar
While the police are at the school investigating this situation they should also check her desk drawers for other 'stuff' stolen from the children. I suspect they will find a sizable bounty.

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 08:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: roadgravel
Once again a school administrator/teacher proves how poor they can be with using common sense. 100% brain washed into blindly following some set of rules or guidelines.

Actually, Roadgravel, the article states, the teacher's intent was to return the coats. Either the teacher forgot, or something happened to cause them to not follow through on this part of their intent.

“Outer coats are a part of the uniform at Ranson,” the school said. “Until today the policy has not come into question. Coats that did not meet the color requirement for the uniform dress code were taken by an employee (Tuesday). The employee’s intent was to return the coasts to students before they went home. This action did not take place.”

In the statement, school administrators apologized to parents and said staff had “worked diligently” to return the coats to students the next day.

“Corrective action has been taken with the employee who did not return coats back to the students,” the statement added.

Although it states corrective action was taken, if this is a tenure employee, corrective action will be similar to police corrective action. For example, 2 weeks suspension with pay.

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 08:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: roadgravel
While the police are at the school investigating this situation they should also check her desk drawers for other 'stuff' stolen from the children. I suspect they will find a sizable bounty.

Heck, while the "security officers" are at the schools turning a blind eye to all the bullying that goes on in the building (yes, I've physically seen it happen with my daughter in NC), maybe while they're doing nothing, they can take the police report for the coats.

Pffft!

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 10:09 AM
link   

If one must have a uniform dress code, then a uniform code there must be. However, there will never be a point at which a code of dress being adhered to, can be considered as being even nearly as important as preventing children from getting bloody pneumonia on the way home!

Now, the member of staff who did not return the coats to the children after their confiscation, may well have merely forgotten to hand them back, but the reality is that in weather like that, unless the uniform code jackets are available without impediment, and further, unless those coats are T.O.G. rated very highly indeed, then the uniform code as it applies to cold weather gear, should be suspended until such time as the temperature outdoors fails to drop below zero, and until that temperature stops being a danger to the children.

Uniform code is meant to be an equaliser, to render all students equal, and reinforce the community aspect of schooling. However, there is no excuse for enforcing such a code when doing so endangers the health of students.

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 10:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: TrueBrit
Uniform code is meant to be an equaliser, to render all students equal, and reinforce the community aspect of schooling. However, there is no excuse for enforcing such a code when doing so endangers the health of students.

"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" unfortunately. Rules are rules and must be obeyed no matter how stupid and far away from their intent you have gone.

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 10:22 AM
link   

First of all, yes, I am in 110% agreement that this is utterly ridiculous.

But here's a thought that struck me.

In today's corporate world, we are expected to think out side of the box.

And here our children are demanded, no, pounded, into a strict regimental form of thinking. The Prussian Industrial model of education.

What a ridiculous oxymoron.

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 10:25 AM
link   

What's the problem here though? The school has admitted its mistake and has issued corrections to the employees who made the mistake. Looks like there is nothing to get outraged over. Some people made some dumb mistakes and they are going to get punished for it (whatever that is is none of your business though).
edit on 3-2-2015 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 10:47 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t
so were the coats returned to the parents or did the parents have to take the kids out yet again into the cold weather weather without coats to get the danged things???

I'm serious I would demand they bring the coat to my home before I would sent the kid to school again!

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 11:07 AM
link   

I don't know. The article didn't say what happened to the coats, but I'm sure they will be returned. Do your children only own one coat or something? Are you trying to be outraged over something that you don't know the answer to?

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 12:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

hey I raised my kids up in a neighborhood where some kids didn't have one coat!!!
mine at least had one each! and when I say returned I mean brought to the homes of the kids and dropped off so they have something to wear when they go out shopping to the officially approved coat of the schools choice! Because well I would have never taken any of my kids out in cold weather without a coat and oftentimes would have to take them everywhere I wanted to go! Considering that I was once in that position I am sure others probably are also, maybe even some of the parents of these kids!

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 01:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

I don't know. The article didn't say what happened to the coats, but I'm sure they will be returned. Do your children only own one coat or something? Are you trying to be outraged over something that you don't know the answer to?

Unfortunately not everyone is rich folk and can afford more than one coat. In some areas of NC, it doesn't get cold very often, so some parents only buy one coat. For example, Fayetteville, where I lived as of 2 years ago, I lived there for 3 years and only saw snow once. I would get cold, yes, maybe a flake or two would fall, but nothing would stick and by morning it would be in the 50's. Higher elevations, or up by VA, now we're talking colder weather.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join