It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Schools sends kids home coatless in 30 degree weather: Violates School uniform

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 07:33 PM
link   
1st. Who or what the F gives these people the legal authority to confiscate personal property?

2nd. Where are the adults in this? Who decides what colors are acceptable? Why is this even a policy?

3rd. Why the hell would any adult take away a jacket from a child and send them home in cold weather? What adult would find this acceptable?

Lastly. You want big government, this is what you get. Not even the adults are capable of critical thought, and the students don't know enough to not comply. This trend of policy enforcement being the basis of action without thought to real life consequences is getting out of hand.

There must come a time where acceptance of authority like this is simply not acceptable anymore.

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 07:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan
a reply to: maria_stardust

Something to consider: it was a school in North Carolina that made its kids walk in the heat without water last spring.

heres a link

She got demoted to assistant and placed at some backwater position. Har har!

linky

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 07:38 PM
link   

a reply to: maria_stardust

Something to consider: it was a school in North Carolina that made its kids walk in the heat without water last spring.

heres a link

I LIVED in Fayetteville! I know where this school is. This is the school my daughter attended I was talking about with the padded room in another thread! And yes, Fayetteville can get VERY baking in the summer. The temp will say 90, but it will FEEL 110 to 120. I love that kind of weather, but I sure as heck wouldn't want to march in it for 2 hours! This must be the new principal!

THIS was my daughter's old Principal at that school....

The last time Fayetteville-area schools made national news, former middle school principal David Ellis Edwards was arrested for allegedly touching three students inappropriately or forcing them to engage in sex acts. The students were all male and between 11 and 14 years old. A parent of one of the boys was sitting in a waiting area near Edwards’s office as one of the alleged incidents happened.

The Principal accused of messing with kids is the one with the lanyard around his neck in the white shirt, the guy next to him was the Mayor of Fayettleville at the time, and that's the back of my daughter as she was receiving a Citizenship award.

edit on 2/2/2015 by Anyafaj because: (no reason given)

edit on 2/2/2015 by Anyafaj because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 07:39 PM
link   
What about the fact that the coats were personal property and should have been returned after school was finished? They had no right to keep personal property that posed no harm to others.

Peace

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 07:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: thishereguy

a reply to: Anyafaj

common sense has been replaced by common core.

Or the National Education Association.
This is stupidity on parade, quite the statement for a school to be making.
Conformity gone wild I tell you!

edit on 2-2-2015 by Asktheanimals because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 07:41 PM
link   

I attended uniform schools throughout my school years and though we had school jackets and sport team jackets, (fine for spring and fall) winter outerwear was always the option of the parents. This sounds extreme to me.

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 07:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: aboutface

I attended uniform schools throughout my school years and though we had school jackets and sport team jackets, (fine for spring and fall) winter outerwear was always the option of the parents. This sounds extreme to me.

I can't say I agree more.

As I said, pretty soon, we will ALL have lost our dang minds and think up is down, down is up.

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 07:50 PM
link   
If you're going to send the kids home for wearing the wrong color coat , send them home in the wrong color coat and tell them not to wear it back to school.

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 07:52 PM
link   
the wonderful thing about Texas schools (there aren't that many, to be honest) is that under the law, the parents have an enormous amount of influence.

The phone thing is starting to be unofficially ignored. There isn't any support from parents for it, and without parental support the school ends up fighting with parents all day to just turn around and give in.

There are a few deal breakers. But stuff like hair color (no 'unnatural colors") and phones are being ignored.

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 07:52 PM
link   

Down has always been up.
Up has never been down.
They must love big brother.

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 08:16 PM
link   
a reply to: JHumm

Easier said than done in today's economy. My children never had a winter coat until they reached high school. Before that their winter outerwear consisted of snowsuits.

edit on 2-2-2015 by aboutface because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 08:25 PM
link   

The bigger "goof" is to make the parents go up to the school to retrieve their kid's coats. I can imagine 20 pissed parents wanting to beat the teachers senseless. If this ever happend to my son, I would literally show up to that teachers home and take care of that issue myself. They would no longer have a thread of clothing left to wear to school. I'd also lock them out doors in their undies, dismantle their heater, then leave in tears of joy.

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 08:38 PM
link   
Are you seriously reassessing that home schooling yet? All of your problems can go away only to be filled with new ones. Except the new ones will be policed by you. Public school is dog excrement. Pull you children out before big brother turns them against you or society as a whole.

I know I made the list with that statement.

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 09:03 PM
link   

the wonderful thing about Texas schools (there aren't that many, to be honest) is that under the law, the parents have an enormous amount of influence.

The phone thing is starting to be unofficially ignored. There isn't any support from parents for it, and without parental support the school ends up fighting with parents all day to just turn around and give in.

There are a few deal breakers. But stuff like hair color (no 'unnatural colors") and phones are being ignored.

So you don't think teenagers playing on their phones during class is an issue that detrimentally effects not only their own education, but those around them? I certainly would never agree with charging money, and while I was teaching in the US I just took it away for the duration of my class (except chronic offenders, they got it back at the end of the day from me.)

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 09:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: stirling
The teachers need to be dragged out and whipped with barbed wire.....

Most of the educators I know are great people who genuinely care about they kids they teach.

You would really wish physical harm on them over a coat?

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 09:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: LOSTinAMERICA
Are you seriously reassessing that home schooling yet? All of your problems can go away only to be filled with new ones. Except the new ones will be policed by you. Public school is dog excrement. Pull you children out before big brother turns them against you or society as a whole.

Be sure to get certification. In the last county I lived in you had to have an associated degree in teaching just to homeschool your kids. I was looking at the requirements (now mind you I was 6 months away from an associates degree), they're requirements were stricter than a certificate for kindergarten teaching. Obviously to discourage homeschooling, but all I could think was you have GOT to be kidding me. I would have to go back to college for at least a 1 JUST to homeschool my daughter. It was no wonder more kids were taught in that pitiful town than homeschooled.

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 10:00 PM
link   
Parents who allow school dress codes are Nazi's.

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 10:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: Anyafaj

originally posted by: LOSTinAMERICA

Be sure to get certification. In the last county I lived in you had to have an associated degree in teaching just to homeschool your kids. I was looking at the requirements (now mind you I was 6 months away from an associates degree), they're requirements were stricter than a certificate for kindergarten teaching. Obviously to discourage homeschooling, but all I could think was you have GOT to be kidding me. I would have to go back to college for at least a 1 JUST to homeschool my daughter. It was no wonder more kids were taught in that pitiful town than homeschooled.

You can hire a teacher who is. My cousin is doing so right now. It's not that expensive.

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 10:11 PM
link   
Private schools are no better than their public counter parts. If not, they are usually worst. Where most cults come out of too. Lots of false teachers and preachers.

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 10:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: makemap
Private schools are no better than their public counter parts. If not, they are usually worst. Where most cults come out of too. Lots of false teachers and preachers.

Not all private schools are bad. You need to research before putting your child in a bad situation. You have to take an active stance. That means find out more about it and take an interest in your child's education. I'm not saying you don't. I just wanted you to realize that not all private schools are bad.

Most of the reason why public schools are bad is the parents are not getting active enough with their children. Inner-city has a lot of crime. You think maybe some of the parents are bad influences on their own children? They bring what was learned at home to school. Then you get draconian laws to police your monsters. Hell, they might have two jobs trying to make ends meet and not giving the kids the attention they deserve. That creates monsters also. I'm sure the state will do it for you. You might not like their way. I'm just offering an alternative.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join