It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nightmares and their significance

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 06:37 PM
link   
Many of us have experienced a nightmare during some point in our lives. You know the kind I'm talking about. You wake up in a panic, choking for air and grasping on to your first moments of awareness. All the while, you continue to reassure yourself that "this was only a dream." But was it?

To most, nightmares are an unpleasant, but unavoidable part of life. Would you be surprised to learn that others believe they are, in fact, quite significant? I remember reading an article recently, and it piqued my interests. I'd like to share some alternative ideas:

Some paranormal researchers believe that nightmares are a result of malevolent entities attacking you in your sleep - where you're more prone to primal instinct and reaction than logical thought. In fact, for hundreds of years certain paranormal researchers have married theories of nightmares and demons to create "old hag syndrome."

Still, to others, including psychologists and parapsychology experts to claim nightmares offer a window to the darkness that lurks in all of us. That to understand our nightmares is to understand our personal "demons."

Yet many mainstream scientists (I am in this belief category) hold that they are merely an expression of our darkest fears coupled with other random memories and thoughts.

What do you think? Are nightmares merely manifestations of our fears or even true inner-darkness? Or are they something more sinister? Perhaps there is even another option out there entirely.

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 06:42 PM
link   
a reply to: JBurns

i just wish i would quit dreaming about crocodiles/alligators.

in places where none are never are or even would be.

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 06:49 PM
link   
a reply to: thishereguy

Do you think it has any significance or meaning? I'd say its strange when its an ongoing thing!

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 06:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: JBurns

Do you think it has any significance or meaning? I'd say its strange when its an ongoing thing!

no, i just chock it up to being stuck on a dream.

in my 30's , i used to forever dream about flying to places. flying meaning like superman.

and it was everywhere , even places i'd never been.

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 07:00 PM
link   
I think there's a very real possibility that we can have both types of nightmares...those reflecting our personal demons that come from inside of us and others reflecting someone or something else coming to us, external forces that may or may not be truly malevolent in and of themselves but we that we might simply be perceiving that way.

I believe i can usually tell the difference between the two.

The demons that are my own I tend to not know how to deal with within the nightmare any better than I can deal with them awake. This is, of course, probably why they are in my nightmares to begin with as they reflect something I cannot come to terms or cope with. And all I can do is look to those when I wake up and use them to try to figure out what clues they are giving me that I can try to address consciously.

The ones that are external forces, the someone or something else coming at me, I seem to be able to deal with while actually within the nightmare. I can stare them down, stand up to them, make them go away, get their message and move on. If that makes sense. And sometimes even these give clarity about a real life situation as well, as in they can help you see that what you are perceiving may have some basis in reality.

I don't know if any of that makes sense, but they're just some patterns I've noticed in my own experiences.

ETA: I fully believe that in this life we can develop connections with people in the physical that transcend beyond into our dreams and nightmares, transcend the waking times we spend or have spent with them, and the others come through that we have never known, at least not this time around.

edit on 2/2/2015 by ~Lucidity because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 07:15 PM
link   
a reply to: ~Lucidity

Very interesting and insightful!

I agree with you especially in our personal demons being much harder to conquer.

I find it very interesting also in how you describe facing them down and tackling them head on.

For months, I've had a recurring nightmare and this truly gives me some hope regarding being able to face it. I've never been a coward in real life, and I can't understand why I always run in these things. I feel like I give in everytime I do this.

What you wrote made perfect sense. Thanks for sharing!

JB

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 07:17 PM
link   

Dreams have always been fascinating to me.

Wonder if the places you flew over actually exist?

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 08:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: ~Lucidity
I think there's a very real possibility that we can have both types of nightmares...those reflecting our personal demons that come from inside of us and others reflecting someone or something else coming to us, external forces that may or may not be truly malevolent in and of themselves but we that we might simply be perceiving that way.

Agreed! I dreamed that I was attacked by a black panther the other night and realized it was representing an event that's coming up, which I find intimidating. On the other hand, I've had many, many dreams in which I faced a demon and struggled to say the name "Jesus" which I knew would make it go away. I'd find myself unable to choke the word out, and when I finally do manage to utter it, the demon vanishes accordingly. I wake up from the first type of dream curious about what may be bugging me subconsciously. I awaken from the second type of dream emotionally and physically spent, feeling as though I've actually been in a fight.

BTW, I love the flying dreams. Mine are often inside and I'm floating around the house from room to room. And, I had a lucid NDE dream last week i which I died in a car accident, realized I was dead, and told myself I had no reason to worry any more because I'm already dead and nothing worse could happen to me.

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 08:18 PM
link   

There are nightmares that are nothing more than psycological memory consolidation, and then there are prophetic dreams and demonic attacks which defy science as we understand it. I can attest to all three categories.

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 08:24 PM
link   
I have nightmares several times a week. Have since I was a teenager. Mine are from my own personal demons also. Things I've made peace with in my waking hours. The worst part is, the nightmares rarely deviate. They are all nearly identical and I do the same stupid fearful moves each time. Sometimes I think that if I could change my reaction, they may stop. As it is, they rule me. I avoid sleep, sometimes for days because of fear. Married 14 years this June, never slept all night in the same bed as my husband. I tend to scream out and strike out when it's at its worst parts.
edit on 2-2-2015 by Kentuckymama because: (no reason given)

edit on 2-2-2015 by Kentuckymama because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 10:11 PM
link   
Hello, nice topic. Dreams are very interesting to me. I think that dreams can have some significance, we just have to search for it. There can be many types: from the past, future, present, hidden desires, fears, past lives (if you believe in that), etc...

There was a weird coincidence with one of my dreams. Where I had a dream about wolves chasing me. Anyway.... That day I took my dog and went for a walk in the forest. When we strolled in an old, fallen apart shed. I knew the place or better - the around area, but I had not been here for a loong time. And I had never explored the shed as we did it with my dog that day. I found buried some old barbecue tools underground and some dishes. It was cool, like a hidden treasure of no worth haha. Then we after some time turned back and went home.
But later at evening I picked an Indian book of dreams for the first time - It was an old book which we had. And in the book there is a list of objects and situations describing the supposed meaning in your dream.
Then I checked for the chasing wolves - and there it was. It is written that you will explore a shed for fun. My mind was blown!

That was when I started to believe in dreams and their hidden significance!

But nightmares for me happen very rarely. I remember one where I had died in a car crash and I even saw the date in the future when it happened. Wired!

My mother had a problem with nightmares when she was younger and because of the frequency she didn't get a lot of sleep and she programmed her awareness so when a nightmare is starting she can immediately wake up before the scary stuff happens.

How did she do it?
I think it had something to do with some meditation technique. Although after some time (a year I think) she get what she wanted - to somehow get rid of them, then she quit the practise. But she says that this is what helped her with her problem.
So maybe try it for yourselves if it works for you to.
edit on 1422936733212February122122815 by UniFinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 02:15 AM
link   
I think a nightmare is partly a way of working-out anxieties, and literally getting over it...ideally. I only had one scary dream, a flaming devil chasing me around the room. Everything else just fleeing disasters...Godzilla et al.

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 02:25 AM
link   
My last nightmare was a psychic intrusion by a friend I can no longer maintain relations with for several personal reasons.

I guess it could be classified under the "old hag" syndrome. She showed up in my home uninvited with a bunch of cronies and wouldn't leave and I couldn't fight them off. I felt so weak and helpless and they just kept laughing and laughing at my inability to get rid of them. I woke up fighting for air and extremely shaken. The whole experience was extremely distressing. I don't get phased like that in real life.

She called three days later even though we haven't spoken for well over a year.
*shudder*

edit on 2/3/15 by GENERAL EYES because: formatting

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 06:32 AM
link   

Pretty sure there is no real significance to most nightmares. I personally think that they are 'given' to us, for a variety of reasons. Some are merely hurtful, others are more intense, and I think, are more along the lines of what they wish would befall us. Last night, my roommate had a disturbing dream. He said that he dreamt that he had a straight-razor, and that he cut off the head of my puppy with it. He said that it was horrifying and senseless, but so REALISTIC. He said there was so much blood, and that when he finished, the pup's eyes began to bleed. What is the point of THAT? You have to realize, that my roommate considers the dog his, as well. He cares for the boy as much as I do, and would never do anything that harmful. IMO, such things, such sights, are 'gifts' we receive from outside of ourselves. IMO the only real significance of nightmares, would be that they represent a form of non-physical attack. One that can come at any time, and one that pretty much disrupts our lives for the negative. My friend was physically disturbed by his dream, and couldn't get back to sleep that night. He is the victim of semi-constant attacks because of his faith, and to a lesser extent, his age. Most people don't realize that there ARE things that go bump in the night, and they are not your friend.

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 07:02 AM
link   
a reply to: Chronogoblin

That's a very intelligent and thoughtful post imo, I have believed the same thing for many years now. Every time I have a dream like that I do my best just to ignore it and get on with my day. Everything about those kind of dreams seems to be outside of the self, as if it is somehow introduced to the mind by 'someone else' while we are in that vulnerable state of deep sleep. The purpose it seems is to work on our emotions and cause us to doubt ourselves and of course fear the things we have dreamed. I just try to shrug it off.

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 07:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kentuckymama
I have nightmares several times a week. Have since I was a teenager. Mine are from my own personal demons also. Things I've made peace with in my waking hours. The worst part is, the nightmares rarely deviate. They are all nearly identical and I do the same stupid fearful moves each time. Sometimes I think that if I could change my reaction, they may stop. As it is, they rule me. I avoid sleep, sometimes for days because of fear. Married 14 years this June, never slept all night in the same bed as my husband. I tend to scream out and strike out when it's at its worst parts.

Several nightmares each week? Sounds more like torment to me.

I use to have nightmares but not anymore. I always pray before I go to bed asking God to do the following:

1. Protect me and my family as we sleep.
2. Protect us from any demonic attacks.
3. Protects us from having nightmares.
4. To refresh our bodies while we sleep.

Thoughts are not only generated from inside our brains with TV, music, Internet etc...., they are also generated from outside of our minds and placed there by other intelligent forces in both the conscious and subconscious.

My whole family sleeps like a baby every night.

None of us have nightmares.

Give it a try for a week and see if this helps.
edit on 3-2-2015 by DeathSlayer because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 07:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: GENERAL EYES
My last nightmare was a psychic intrusion by a friend I can no longer maintain relations with for several personal reasons.

I guess it could be classified under the "old hag" syndrome. She showed up in my home uninvited with a bunch of cronies and wouldn't leave and I couldn't fight them off. I felt so weak and helpless and they just kept laughing and laughing at my inability to get rid of them. I woke up fighting for air and extremely shaken. The whole experience was extremely distressing. I don't get phased like that in real life.

She called three days later even though we haven't spoken for well over a year.
*shudder*

Your friend? Don't think so. Sounds more like a witch. You need to protect yourself and your family with daily and nightly prayers. And you are right, keep her out of your life and don't insult her.

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 07:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: BELIEVERpriest

There are nightmares that are nothing more than psycological memory consolidation, and then there are prophetic dreams and demonic attacks which defy science as we understand it. I can attest to all three categories.

I too can attest to all three categories and, for me, they are easy to distinguish.

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 09:31 AM
link   
a reply to: DeathSlayer

Thank you for replying. I'm 36 now, this has gone on since I was 19. I pray every night. I ask that what ever force is listening to help, God, Jesus, family and friends that have past on, anyone. The only time the nightmares slowed down was when I was pregnant with each of my 3 kids. It sucks. Even tried hypnosis for a while. After not really getting better they thought it best that I listen to the recording of the hypnosis. It was horrific. It was disturbing. It was a repeat of events already experienced. It broke my heart.

I have my own bedroom downstairs, away from the kids so they won't hear. Avoiding sleep gives me a temporary break, but they hit hard when I finally do sleep. A few months ago we lost a family member. The preacher was talking about how when we die, it's like sleeping. Bothered me. Now I'm afraid to die. Spending eternity in that nightmare is Hell. I have just accepted that this is how it will be for me. I will try your suggestions. Thank you
edit on 3-2-2015 by Kentuckymama because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 01:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Kentuckymama

HI,

A couple of questions if I may?

Anyone in your family practice occult? Ouija boards, tarot cards, gone to visit a medium, etc....?

Are they still practicing occult? Any of them living in your home?

Ever have anything to do satanic? SRA? What about other relatives?

Hearing voices or hearing sounds like knocks on the walls windows or ceilings? Three knocks......not two, not four but three?

Do you have any crucifixes hanging on the wall?

Hang one once you enter the home... in your hallway and in the living room.

Hang one in each bedroom. Not a cross but a crucifix.

If you can have them blessed by a holy person or priest this would be even better.

Religious paintings such as the "The Last Supper" hanging on the walls will help.

Having your home blessed is always good.

Of course if you don't believe it will not help much.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join