It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do You See What This Police Officer Saw? Her Superiors Didn’t — So Now Police Are Apologizing

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+3 more 
posted on Feb, 1 2015 @ 10:09 AM
link   
1st...It's only a golf club.

2nd...Can't find something to harass someone about? Make it up.

3rd...When all else fails, charge him with obstruction. At least she got to arrest someone for something...anything.

After reviewing the incident — the video does not seem to show the old man swinging his cane like a weapon — police determined that they were in the wrong. Deputy Chief Carmen Best met with the 69-year-old man, returning the golf club and officially apologizing for his arrest, the Seattle Police Department public affairs office wrote on the department’s blog. According to the police public affairs office, the police published dashcam footage from the arrest “in the interest of fostering better police transparency.”
www.theblaze.com...

Was she just bored? Need a thrill? Maybe she is just a bully?

We hear of this kind of thing happening a lot. What gets me is when you know you are a victim of harassment and try to correct the situation you can still get charged with obstruction of justice. We can't win.

Peace

edit on 1-2-2015 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2015 @ 10:48 AM
link   
Get up stand up America.... FIGHT BACK FFS!!!!

Youz are letting them get away with this sort of crap (and worse)

There's more of you then them, fight them!!!!

Great video OP, shows how much of a power buzz these #ers in uniform are on
edit on 1/2/15 by SecretKnowledge because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2015 @ 10:51 AM
link   
a reply to: jude11

Why could he not just listen and put it down? Why is it so hard to just LISTEN to what the police tell you. Then people feel sorry for certain types when they are gunned down when they just could have listened. I am not saying be a sheep and obey everything they tell you in that way. But at the moment, just comply, then get let go. Everyone goes home safe.

I have been carrying a swiss army knife for 10 years. Less than his 25 years, but does that allow me to not have to put it down if asked by a cop?
Also... when she rolls up, you cant even see the golf club. I am guessing she got a call on this guy. What was he accused of doing in the first place?
ID
edit on 1-2-2015 by ItalianDressing because: (no reason given)

I just want to know both sides of the story that is all.

posted on Feb, 1 2015 @ 10:59 AM
link   
She be major trippin. He didn't swing squat.

I just don't get this. Glad they at least apologized.

+4 more 
posted on Feb, 1 2015 @ 11:11 AM
link   
a reply to: ItalianDressing

ItalianDressing

The man did not obey and ought not to have obeyed. The constitution of the United States gives americans the right the travel freely.

The man was standing on a street corner, doing NOTHING wrong and ought not to have attracted the attention of anyone, including police officer driving by.

The police officer breached his constitutional right to travel freely, and his human right not be harassed or subject to unwelcoming comments.

You have have the rights that you are willing and able to defend at any given time. Good for him. He stood up for his right to travel freely and not be harassed.

The cops are paramilitary and take an oath to serve and protect. That does not include disrespecting civil liberties and breaching the Human Rights Code

Tired of Control Freaks

posted on Feb, 1 2015 @ 11:14 AM
link   
Nope, didn't see what the officer saw. Had the wife take a look, and she didn't see the gentleman swing the club either. Police culture is in serious need of overhauling. Stopping to harass an elderly man waiting to cross the street is such a colossal waste of time. Isn't there a real crime, err, I mean an actual crime that she could be investigating? This whole "broken windows" philosophy falls apart when lazy cops go out of their way to take down petty, or even nonexistent offenders while real criminals run free.

When one is eight times more likely to be killed by an "officer of the peace" than by a terrorist, isn't it time to fix the system? Why can't we admit our priorities are all wrong? Since when do police get the right to arrest an attorney for doing her job, or pull guns on teens in a snowball fight, or beat a mother wanting to stay at her child's bedside in hospital?

Are all cops "bad?" No, that's ridiculous. But there are enough bad apples out there and an engrained culture conducive to abuse of power that we can't simply look the other way anymore. People of moral or legal authority- police, clergy, physicians, teachers, etc are only humans, yet by the very nature of their professions, need to be held to a higher standard of accountability.

I'm waiting for our Tunisian fruit vendor. At some point, in some place, someone is going to ignite a fire that will burn this rotten, fetid, repugnant shell of a "democracy" to the ground. When will we come to our senses, stop playing games with partisan politics and realize we're all getting raped?

edit on 1-2-2015 by FatherStacks because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2015 @ 11:19 AM
link   
But also I dont know if this was said yet but he is seeking damages for up to 750,000.

But I think this can bring up a great discussion of what are your recourses if you know your being falsely arrested.

I mean your freedom being taken away is no small thing

posted on Feb, 1 2015 @ 11:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: TiredofControlFreaks

ItalianDressing

The man did not obey and ought not to have obeyed. The constitution of the United States gives americans the right the travel freely.

The man was standing on a street corner, doing NOTHING wrong and ought not to have attracted the attention of anyone, including police officer driving by.

The police officer breached his constitutional right to travel freely, and his human right not be harassed or subject to unwelcoming comments.

You have have the rights that you are willing and able to defend at any given time. Good for him. He stood up for his right to travel freely and not be harassed.

The cops are paramilitary and take an oath to serve and protect. That does not include disrespecting civil liberties and breaching the Human Rights Code

Tired of Control Freaks

From the video you cannot see a club when she pulled up so I am guessing she got a call on him. But if he did nothing wrong and was just walking, yes I agree with you on the constitution aspect. The point I am trying to make, is take it up with the courts. You are allowed to open carry a rifle in most states, but does that mean you disobey an officer? Sure you could, but one of you would be dead. Common sense is the key, then use the courts after to nail the cop if they were in the wrong.

ID

posted on Feb, 1 2015 @ 11:39 AM
link   
a reply to: jude11

I just watched that and re-watched the beginning 3 times

Why is she even a cop? How is she a cop?

posted on Feb, 1 2015 @ 11:39 AM
link   

ah yes - "common sense"

Common sense tells me to never try to appease a bully. If the man (and everyone else) decides that it is only common sense to appease the bully at the moment and avoid the risk of getting shot or injured, then the only recourse is to complain to the police about their outrageous behavior.

And of course,the police will smile and apologise and continue in their ways until getting shot is almost unavoidable.

Common sense tells me that appeasing a bully never works. Yes some people will be shot and others will be injured but inevitably the bully will either decide to mend his ways or he will suffer the consquences when enough people are fed up with their behavior.

That is how revolutions are fought - not with polite complaints and appeasement. But by point-blank refusal and lifes lost. It has now reached the point where this conclusion is inevitable.

Google Venusala, lethal force, protesters.

Tired of control Freaks

posted on Feb, 1 2015 @ 11:41 AM
link   
a reply to: TiredofControlFreaks

and to clarify - by lives lost - I do not mean that we should ever lift a hand to the bullies. The lives that will be lost will be those who simply say "no" to the bullying behavior.

Tired of Control Freaks

posted on Feb, 1 2015 @ 11:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: TiredofControlFreaks
a reply to: TiredofControlFreaks

and to clarify - by lives lost - I do not mean that we should ever lift a hand to the bullies. The lives that will be lost will be those who simply say "no" to the bullying behavior.

Tired of Control Freaks

She rolled up on this guy at an instant, can't see the club. She knew where she was going. In my opinion someone called on this guy. If that is inncorrect then yes she is a douche. But from the video, it seems there is more to the story. She does not watch him and wait, she knew right where she was going, which to me indicates a call was made. If a call was made, what did he do?

ID

posted on Feb, 1 2015 @ 11:45 AM
link   
I believe some police officers just find reason to mess with general public. They think it will help get promoted. That police officers should be FIRED for falsifying a police report. If the cop is willing to lie about that what else would she do to make an arrest.

posted on Feb, 1 2015 @ 11:47 AM
link   

Did you just try to compare someone walking around with a rifle to this old man using a putter as a cane?

posted on Feb, 1 2015 @ 11:49 AM
link   

If there was a complaint made against the man, and the officer rolled up on him to justifably question him....then the police would never have apologised.

Now you are making excuses for bullying out of whole cloth.

Tired of Control Freaks

posted on Feb, 1 2015 @ 11:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: Infinitis

Did you just try to compare someone walking around with a rifle to this old man using a putter as a cane?

Yes I did. You are allowed to walk around with both. Both can be used as weapons. Just because you are in the right and allowed to carry both, does that mean you disobey an Officer? Put the damn thing down if told to, talk to them, walk home. Be a jerk and refuse to drop the weapon, get shot. It is not personal, they want to go home at the end of their shift. When they encounter someone with a weapon, they react a certain way. How hard is it.

ID

posted on Feb, 1 2015 @ 12:14 PM
link   
A cop can call anything a weapon if they are wanting to start a confrontation.

"STOP! Put Down That Hot Dog...You Can Poke Someone's Eye Out!"

Refuse because you still need to put on the mustard? Obstruction...No Hot Dog For You!.

Peace

posted on Feb, 1 2015 @ 12:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: ItalianDressing

Yes I did. You are allowed to walk around with both. Both can be used as weapons. Just because you are in the right and allowed to carry both, does that mean you disobey an Officer? Put the damn thing down if told to, talk to them, walk home. Be a jerk and refuse to drop the weapon, get shot. It is not personal, they want to go home at the end of their shift. When they encounter someone with a weapon, they react a certain way. How hard is it.
ID

I have to believe you're just being a contrarian. What evidence was there that the putter was being used as a weapon? Why are police officers above reproach, questioning and challenge? And do you really believe they have/should have the power to execute someone for not following an order?

What's wrong with treating the old man like a person? She could've walked up to the guy and said: "Hey pops, what's with the golf club? Oh, you use it as a walking stick? Have you threatened anybody with it? No, well ok, just be careful crossing the street. Have a good day." How hard is it?

Rather, she immediately becomes confrontational and escalates the situation from nothing to an arrest- piss poor police work.

posted on Feb, 1 2015 @ 12:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: jude11
A cop can call anything a weapon if they are wanting to start a confrontation.

"STOP! Put Down That Hot Dog...You Can Poke Someone's Eye Out!"

Refuse because you still need to put on the mustard? Obstruction...No Hot Dog For You!.

Peace

I love 99% of your posts and you are an ATS legend in my opinion. But this post I have to somewhat disagree... IF he did nothing wrong and this cop rolled up and pulled her stuff, then yes, I am all for justice on the cop. But after seeing the video, and seeing that she knew right where she was going, not seeing the club, someone called on him for something. If someone called on a man with a club doing whatever, your going to immediately want that person to drop it. If I am wrong than I accept that but from the facts I see, there is another part of the story we do not know yet. You can't see the club at first, which makes me think someone called about a man with a club. Keep up your epic post's man, we all love your stuff. Take care.

Not being sarcastic at all either. Your post's rock.

ID

posted on Feb, 1 2015 @ 12:33 PM
link   
Imagine how many arrests they could make at a golf course.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join