It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Canadian Bill C-51 aims to 'remove terrorist propaganda' from internet

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 31 2015 @ 11:17 PM
link   
www.cbc.ca...

This bill brings a lot of concern about online privacy and free speech. Terrorist is such a vague term, especially some of the criteria for potential 'domestic terrorists'. The article also addresses how far the UK has been going with the terrorist internet propaganda bill.

The anti-terrorism bill unveiled Friday by Prime Minister Stephen Harper includes a section that gives his government the power "to order the removal of terrorist propaganda" from the internet.

edit on 31-1-2015 by jrod because: fix

posted on Jan, 31 2015 @ 11:30 PM
link   
a reply to: jrod

What a perfect way to silence anyone the state disagrees with

posted on Jan, 31 2015 @ 11:47 PM
link   
I do not like the Pandora's Box of problems that this bill will open. I don't like terrorists any more than the next guy, but I support the rights of free speech on the internet. The Net should be a safe haven for people to express themselves in a safe way even if we don't like the message.

Unless there is a direct or thinly veiled threat made then I always will come down on the side of freedom.
edit on 2015/1/31 by Metallicus because: fix

posted on Jan, 31 2015 @ 11:49 PM
link   

Declaring an event a 'false flag' is now 'Terrorist Propaganda' and will be removed from the Internet.

It's now a crime to know a lie when one is staring you in the face.

The 'Thought Police' have arrived.

Enforced gullibility.

Does anyone actually think such a government can be voted out?

It'll be the Scottish Referendum all over again.

Welcome to the REAL New World Order.

"Meet the new boss, same as the old boss."

posted on Jan, 31 2015 @ 11:59 PM
link   

So, if there is going to be no terrorist propaganda allowed, does that mean the government, including harpernista, are going to censor themselves? Or does this just apply to alleged terrorists, you know, the people who don't agree with the government's horses__t, the people won't eat it their crap and say, "Mmmm mmmm good."

Cheers - Dave

posted on Feb, 1 2015 @ 12:03 AM
link   

I kind of get where these laws are coming from . But what i do not get is how terrorists get facebook or twitter accounts in the first place . Perhaps i think that the internet is a lot more advanced than it is . Surely an account opened in Raqqa province would be a big red flag . Can they not tell where these accounts are made . If i was to send something threatening to a alphabet agency i would expect knocks on the door at 3AM the next day . Ddos attacks are commonplace but a terrorist with a phone cant be touched . Perhaps a few bombs on the cellphone networks are in order . My computer knowledge is probably at a grade 4 level . Educate me please .

posted on Feb, 1 2015 @ 12:20 AM
link   
This link is a little more colorful in describing the bill:
www.commondreams.org...

I am not sure how far this new bill will go. It seems like more and more legislation is passed that gives those in power to control the information we have access to.

It is interesting how the UK is now admitting to their 'Facebook warrior' program. This a global effort to censor information and influence popular opinion.
edit on 1-2-2015 by jrod because: fix link

posted on Feb, 1 2015 @ 01:04 AM
link   
Will posting any beheading video's get you the knock on the door it could happen as the Canadian gov are pulling IPs from servers to see who goes where
edit on 1/2/2015 by douglas5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2015 @ 01:12 AM
link   
How exactly do they intend to remove it from the internet? You have lots of countries that aren't Canada and will tell them to go whistle. Then you have the Streisand effect, where people will just repost it.

I guess what they will do in reality rather than try and 'remove it from the internet' is tell Canadian ISP's to make all requests for website at ip nullrouted and unobtainable within their area of influence. The UK does that already for alleged 'Pirate sites' and 'torrent trackers'. It's not effective. VPN's ftw..
edit on 1/2/2015 by BMorris because: Additional info rather than double post

posted on Feb, 1 2015 @ 01:14 AM
link   
a reply to: BMorris

from the OP article.....

That would still require a judicial order, as well as the attorney general's support to push for the removal of such web content.

If the proposed legislation becomes law, a judge could order an internet service provider, or the "custodian" of "the computer system," to remove web content the judge considers terrorist propaganda.

posted on Feb, 1 2015 @ 01:34 AM
link   

Just more of the same, we have been going down this road for years apparently.

More spying, less oversight. What could possibly go wrong?

uk.reuters.com...

(Reuters) - Canada's electronic spy agency has been intercepting and analysing data on up to 15 million file downloads daily as part of a global surveillance programme, according to a report published on Wednesday.

Critics said the revelations, made in 2012 documents obtained by former U.S. spy agency contractor Edward Snowden and leaked to journalists, showed much more oversight was needed over Canada's Communications Security Establishment (CSE).

The documents are the first indication from the Snowden files showing Canada had its own globe-spanning Internet surveillance in a bid to counter extremists.

The covert dragnet, nicknamed Levitation, has covered allied countries and trading partners such as the United States, Britain, Brazil, Germany, Spain and Portugal, the report by CBC News and news website The Intercept said. The Intercept, which includes journalist Glenn Greenwald, obtained the documents from Snowden.

edit on 1-2-2015 by jrod because: /

posted on Feb, 1 2015 @ 01:38 AM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

And those "orders" would be rightfully ignored by ISP's or "custodians" not based in Canada, which was one of my points. Just as the USA is not world police, Canada is not either. Explain to me, how a Canadian judge could enforce a judicial order on me to remove my website, which is owned entirely by me, runs on a dedicated mach8ine in a datracenter in France. Is either the UK (I'm British) or France subject to Canadian law? No.

Thats why I said, in reality this will just be an order to Canadian ISP's to block access to the content, not to actually try and remove it.

Also for anyone wondering, my website is just a photo-gallery, not terrorist propaganda. I just used it to make a point.

posted on Feb, 1 2015 @ 01:41 AM
link   

Are you sure about that?

The covert dragnet, nicknamed Levitation, has covered allied countries and trading partners such as the United States, Britain, Brazil, Germany, Spain and Portugal, the report by CBC News and news website The Intercept said. The Intercept, which includes journalist Glenn Greenwald, obtained the documents from Snowden.

edit on 1-2-2015 by jrod because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2015 @ 02:08 AM
link   
Quite sure.

posted on Feb, 1 2015 @ 06:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: BMorris
How exactly do they intend to remove it from the internet? You have lots of countries that aren't Canada and will tell them to go whistle. Then you have the Streisand effect, where people will just repost it.

I guess what they will do in reality rather than try and 'remove it from the internet' is tell Canadian ISP's to make all requests for website at ip nullrouted and unobtainable within their area of influence. The UK does that already for alleged 'Pirate sites' and 'torrent trackers'. It's not effective. VPN's ftw..

Except the recently revealed flaw in many vpns that give the actual IP of the user.....ftf:dn
ftf for the fail)

Just as peeps will always find a way around any security measures, the gov will find ways around those.

It is the same old fight.

I make a better sword, you make a better shield, I make a better arrow, you make better chain mail, I make a better tank, you make a better anti tank missile.

It is evolution man.

There will never be a be all end all.

There will always be moves and counter moves.

This dance will never end.

posted on Feb, 1 2015 @ 06:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: BMorris
a reply to: xuenchen

And those "orders" would be rightfully ignored by ISP's or "custodians" not based in Canada, which was one of my points. Just as the USA is not world police, Canada is not either. Explain to me, how a Canadian judge could enforce a judicial order on me to remove my website, which is owned entirely by me, runs on a dedicated mach8ine in a datracenter in France. Is either the UK (I'm British) or France subject to Canadian law? No.

Thats why I said, in reality this will just be an order to Canadian ISP's to block access to the content, not to actually try and remove it.

Also for anyone wondering, my website is just a photo-gallery, not terrorist propaganda. I just used it to make a point.

And a valid point it was.

When content is hosted in Iran they don't give three tosses what a Canadian judge says about anything at all.

The internet must be free. Even for "terrorist" propaganda.

Why should the govs be the only ones allowed to post obvious lying bs?

posted on Feb, 1 2015 @ 06:52 AM
link   
It has been sad to see Harper devolve to think like W Bush, though I think Harper is much more intelligent and is at his core a decent person (he doesn't know the big picture like the Bush family), he is just gullible, and has obviously been too influenced by the NWO types that are giving him advice. Bush had Cheney, who is Harper's Cheney? I see Harper trotting out all the arguments I used to use before I woke up and realized what was really going on.

And geez, who do we have as alternatives? Trudeau is a major lightweight compared with his father, and I think he would be too easily influenced as well. I wish the Green Party would put forward a more credible leader than Elizabeth May, she may be intelligent but she has zero charisma and charm, and the party will go nowhere with her at the helm. I'm not a fan of the NDP, but Thomas Mulclair seems like the only person capable of being a strong leader at this time.

posted on Feb, 1 2015 @ 07:05 AM
link   
I just wrote my MP and said that if we are going to start censorship of the internet, we might as well all go into the streets and start burning all of our books as well.
edit on stpamSun, 01 Feb 2015 07:06:11 -0600k1502America/Chicago0106 by Sparkymedic because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2015 @ 08:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sparkymedic
I just wrote my MP and said that if we are going to start censorship of the internet, we might as well all go into the streets and start burning all of our books as well.

That's a great point, internet censorship is the digital equivalent of burning books. As Heinrich Heine said "Where they burn books, in the end they also burn men." It is both astonishing and infuriating to witness the erosion of core values across so many countries and the citizen response has only been "just give me my smart phone, overly-priced coffee, and reality tv and leave me alone." It has happened so insidiously and so broadly that I'm convinced we're all #ed.

Hopefully, your MP is one of the rare politicians who actually give a damn about their constituents.

posted on Feb, 1 2015 @ 10:34 AM
link   

Something that has been bothering me for a long time about real terrorist stuff on the internet, is that with units like GCHQ I cannot see why these sights such as how to make a bomb, the latest watch me slaughter someone from Syria etc etc is not immediately removed and viruses sent to the computers that oggle at these sights.

Another thread today tells us of 1500 shrills from the british army coming on line, so surely it would be better to remove all these sights and have the number of government army shrills working on that rather than the misleading and lying to the public they are being made to do which many will see through anyway.

Simply take these sites down and virus those who visit them.

I do also thing we need the term terrorist to be properly defined and not incorporated into our every day laws. Terrorism should come under a strict code of law and be absolutely clear and today its being fudged and used against the public. There should be a clear line of demarcation.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join