It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I gave up diet soda for a week

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+15 more 
posted on Jan, 31 2015 @ 09:40 AM
link   
In looking for small ways to improve my health, I decided to do an experiment. I love my diet Pepsi, have been drinking it since I don't know when. It has aspartame, which more and more studies show is one of the worst things you can put in your body. Studies have linked it to migraines and many other bad things.

I also increased my water intake. I now drink 10-12 glasses of water a day. Where I work, I'm in a water club. I have to go up a flight of stairs to get my water. So on a typical day, I make 10-12 trips up and down the stairs.

I wanted to see if I felt any positive things from drinking only water. It's only been a week, but I feel like I have more energy. Also, my arthritis pain has gone down quite a bit. One of the most dramatic differences is in my complexion. I used to have dark circles under my eyes. Those are gone, and my complexion looks noticeably better.

I was concerned I would have withdrawl symptoms from going off aspartame cold turkey. I haven't had any problems so far. I haven't changed anything else, just drinking only water. I hope this will keep migraines away. I have had chronic migraines since I was 10 years old, and the most recent one lasted for four days.

Have any of you had similar experiences? I think aspartame is awful and should be banned.

posted on Jan, 31 2015 @ 09:52 AM
link   
Good for you.

Don't over do it. The water, I mean.

8 - 8 ounce glasses of water per day.

posted on Jan, 31 2015 @ 09:54 AM
link   
a reply to: ChiefD

Good for you!

My mother-in-law has chronic pain and I've been lecturing her about aspartame for ten years, to no avail.

posted on Jan, 31 2015 @ 10:06 AM
link   

Keep at it. Sweeteners and refined sugars are basically death sentences. Stick to natural sugars. Even get rid of the granulated white sugar to cook with. Use brown sugars.

I HIGHLY recommend reading anything by Michael Pollan to inform yourself of what you are actually consuming. Also, if you are looking for awesome, tasty food which is actually good for you check out this blog:

100 Days of Real Food

Don't just stop at diet pop. Cut out all pop. It will keep you sick.

I believe it has been discovered that just an ounce of refined sugars will render your immune system inert for up to 4 hours.

posted on Jan, 31 2015 @ 10:07 AM
link   
Yes! All soda is terrible for your teeth + rest of your body.

Smoking and alcohol have their negative effects for sure, but soda is just absolutely alien to us.

Where alcohol and tobacco has existed since early man, soda pop is a very new phenomena- and it literally eats away at your insides.

Keep up the good work. I wouldn't even chase a shot of whiskey with that stuff!

posted on Jan, 31 2015 @ 10:10 AM
link   
I drink maybe 2 - 3 soft drinks in a week, but I don't limit myself on purpose. I usually drink coffee, juice or water, just because I like them better. After looking back at my eating habits over the years, I've noticed I eat healthy, but not out of any desire to be healthy, just taste preference. I like fresh fruit better than candy [ although I can and do eat a large bar of chocolate at one time...I mean the BIG 1lb bar ]. I've gone so far as to plant my own orchard and grow peaches, strawberries, red raspberries, melons, etc...
Getting away from all those additives is certainly not a bad thing.

posted on Jan, 31 2015 @ 10:10 AM
link   
OP stay off them that's toxic regardless of migraines.

I had migraines and I always could associate it to poor food.
This horrifies people when I tell them, but it worked for me. When the stars in my eyes started, the feeling I'm going to throw up and the head tightening first signs I make that horrible Instant mash potato. And celtic sea salt. Have had a migraine only once every year or two since including celtic sea salt in my diet.

I believe it has something to do with that large nerve from the stomach and starch/mineral intake.

Within the hour the migraine does not debilitate me, a Ibuprofen makes it ok. Whereas before nothing really worked without knocking myself out for 12 hours. Waking up, grabbing the bottle to take another pink pill and pass out again.

Yay for mash potatoes. Stay off Soft drinks! Water loves you, love it back.

posted on Jan, 31 2015 @ 10:13 AM
link   
I have chronic migraine.

I take Topamax, so cutting the soda was pretty much a given. However, between that and the tea drinking I feel so much better.

Then I kicked the pill, too.

I also added a high variety of different spices and herbs to my cooking and changed my diet to more whole food, lots of fish and veggies.

I feel so much better and while I can't say I never get migraines anymore because I do (photosensitive). They are so much milder and I can ditch them with single zomig ... sometimes just a naproxen and some heat. I also don't have nearly the amount of joint trouble yet that others in my family are prone to.

posted on Jan, 31 2015 @ 10:18 AM
link   
Thanks everyone for your replies. I have not drank any soda in a week. Regular non diet soda mostly has high fructose corn syrup, which is another horrible thing to put in your body.

I like my coffee, and only use stevia to sweeten it.

Yes, additives are not good. Since my hubby had quadruple bypass heart surgery, I've been focused on cooking from scratch with veggies to make things healthier.

I'm going to go another week. I do these things in baby steps, as that is what works best for me. I can't say I won't ever have soda again, but I hope it will be few and far between.

I really like that I have less arthritis pain.

posted on Jan, 31 2015 @ 10:22 AM
link   
Nothing fizzy is good for you. Nothing that's got any amount of sweetening is good for you. Try water, unsweetened tea, unsweetened coffee, water with lemon and so on. Even more than a few ounces of fruit juice is too much.

That includes any sweetener at all, from stevia to cane sugar.

posted on Jan, 31 2015 @ 10:23 AM
link   

I went off my one-diet-coke-a-day habit and switched to green tea. I didn't personally notice anything except the green tea tastes better

posted on Jan, 31 2015 @ 10:23 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

I just bought a real nice spice rack. I'm starting to collect recipes. My hubby cannot have salt, so substituting spices is good for that.

I can hardly wait to cook with them. I hear so many good things.

posted on Jan, 31 2015 @ 10:26 AM
link   
a reply to: InverseLookingGlass

I love green tea. I never sweeten tea. The flavor comes out better without sweetener.

posted on Jan, 31 2015 @ 10:28 AM
link   
I used to drink TONS of diet caffeine free Pepsi. Then in 2008 passed a 4 mm kidney stone and found out that the dark colas can cause them. (so can coffee and tea). It was a hard break with the pepsi but my kidneys were happy about it.

Good luck with your diet soda break. I hope you are able to keep up with it.

posted on Jan, 31 2015 @ 10:29 AM
link   
a reply to: zazzafrazz

Now that's different. I'll have to try that (knock on wood) the next time I get a migraine.

You get auras. OMG, I feel for you. I only had one migraine with an aura. I thought I was having a stroke, scared the hell out of me. Once the pain hit, I was sicker than hell for two days.

I'm glad that works for you.

posted on Jan, 31 2015 @ 10:31 AM
link   
I quit all fizzy drinks almost a year ago, before that I could not live without at least 1 energy drink and a bottle of coke a day.

After just 6 months on water, milk, tea, coffee and fresh fruit juice (not the kind with added sugar) I had lost alot of belly fat without even changing my food diet or exercising, just by cutting out fizzy drinks alone.
edit on 31-1-2015 by NeoSpace because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2015 @ 10:35 AM
link   
a reply to: NeoSpace

That's awesome! Good on you.

Yeah, I forgot to mention, I dropped two pounds this week.

Amazing what little changes can do for a person.

posted on Jan, 31 2015 @ 10:40 AM
link   
Pop in general is terrible. It ticks me off when I do go to a fast food joint or sandwich shop all they have is sugary crap and if I ask for water they act like I am stealing from them.

posted on Jan, 31 2015 @ 10:40 AM
link   
I was addicted to regular Coca-cola (Coke) and then started getting stomach aches every time I drank it. I stopped drinking it daily and only drink it about once a week until I can kick the habit permanently. My stomach issues have gone away.

I have a friend who drinks diet soda every day. She gets weekly migraines and now has Hashimotos disease. I keep pushing her to give up the diet soda and it's frustrating that she doesn't listen!

posted on Jan, 31 2015 @ 10:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: FlyersFan
I used to drink TONS of diet caffeine free Pepsi. Then in 2008 passed a 4 mm kidney stone and found out that the dark colas can cause them. (so can coffee and tea). It was a hard break with the pepsi but my kidneys were happy about it.

Good luck with your diet soda break. I hope you are able to keep up with it.

Coffee and tea, too? I drink 2 cups coffee every morning, sometimes with sugar and sometimes black.

What were your symptoms?

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join