It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man Cited For 'Eating While Driving' In Cobb County, Georgia...

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 31 2015 @ 12:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Sremmos80

It has nothing to with the chase for money.

We are responsible for the load being on time. If we fail too many times, we get fired and it can make it very hard to get another job.

See my previous post. There are loads where the required driving time is an hour or two less than the clock time to get there. We have to take a thirty minute break every eight hours. That's thirty minutes to do anything we have to, like walking the dogs, using the bathroom, getting food, etc. Usually by the time I'm back in my truck after doing all that I've burned 25 minutes.

I'm not chasing money, but at the same time I'm not risking losing a career that I love.
edit on 1/31/2015 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2015 @ 12:20 PM
link   

where i am from, OTR truckers aren't a problem (and we have a ton of them coming down the interstate here).

Its the idiots who do day routes, or that work for oil companies. They are the ones that drive their bucket truck like they are in a Ferrari, and end up killing people. Them and the guys in crew trucks (quad cab pickups).

seriously...i woulda never thought that on ATS (where ilibertarian ideals seem to reign) we would have people making a ibig deal out of adults acting prudently and not making victims.

Truck drivers, for whatever reason, are the safest drivers on the road. The stats don't lie.

posted on Jan, 31 2015 @ 12:24 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan
a reply to: Zaphod58
I'll meet in the middle and say maybe truckers get forced into it and have to do it and probably have the skills to account for it.

Cause I will agree its rarely a trucker that does something stupid on the road.

My point is more that it really can be dangerous to be distracted while driving and that is the reason.

I think there is more to this story, then just simply a cop seeing him eating and nothing else.

posted on Jan, 31 2015 @ 12:29 PM
link   
Eating while driving has always been something you can get a ticket for. Same with drinking anything while you drive. This is nothing new. I have seen many people screw up while eating and driving and almost cause accidents. I and just about everyone I know have been distracted by eating and driving at one time or another..

posted on Jan, 31 2015 @ 12:33 PM
link   

what drives me nuts are the folks on the phone, driving 20 mph below the speed limit, in the left hand lane.

posted on Jan, 31 2015 @ 12:39 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

I'll trade you for the idiots that either can't go behind a truck, so cut me off and slam on the brakes to make the exit, or the ones that think that they're saving fuel by drafting two feet off the back of our trailer.

posted on Jan, 31 2015 @ 12:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phoenix
Never heard of an accident due smoking (legal kind) how about all the new vehicles with big nav screens mounted on dashboard?

Accidents Caused by Smoking

And I think the nav screens are insane!

posted on Jan, 31 2015 @ 12:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: IslandOfMisfitToys
a reply to: Bedlam

Exactly. They can look up our plates on a computer while driving but we can't so much as turn the radio station as defined by the previous poster's link with the definition of "distracted driving".

One rule for them....and an entirely different (and far more restrictive) rule for us.

I know 5 police officers personally, and asked them this exact question. Here in Ontario Canada they don't tap away on their computers while driving, they radio in a plate number, it's run through a system, and then plates abstract is displayed on their computer. The most they need to do is maybe tap a key or two.
edit on 31-1-2015 by strongfp because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2015 @ 02:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

I find it hilarious that the article contradicted itself by saying smoking improved cognitive function and then anecdotally tried to recover.

I think we'll find the dash screens are far more hazardous - nearly as bad as nanny statist types day dreaming of total control whilst driving heh heh.

posted on Jan, 31 2015 @ 02:54 PM
link   

Problem solved. Hands free burger holder

posted on Jan, 31 2015 @ 03:15 PM
link   
a reply to: strongfp

When they do those 'couple of taps', are they looking at the road.... Or the screen?

posted on Jan, 31 2015 @ 03:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

And I think the nav screens are insane!

That was the only option I didn't get on my car. Partly because I thought $1,000 was way too much, partly because I know I'd be messing with it all the time.

posted on Jan, 31 2015 @ 03:30 PM
link   
I'm going to admit that was a little trollish.

posted on Jan, 31 2015 @ 08:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: TDawgRex
a reply to: lovebeck

You are getting bent out of shape because you obviously do not have any understanding whatsoever about laws concerning driving. Literally every State in the US has this little law on their books.

It's called "inattentive driving" and you will more than likely lose in court every time.

LEOs could if they wished pull over almost everybody and ticket them under this law.

Cup of coffee in your hand = inattentive driving
Bluetooth in your ear and talking to your boss = inattentive driving
Smoking while driving = inattentive driving
etc..etc..

This case will get tossed though. It's not worth the courts time.

But I would also say that such a ticket DOES go to prove that cities and counties and States do have a quota system when it comes to traffic tickets. They can't deny it after such a ticket as this.

I'm not getting bent out of shape and I DO UNDERSTAND THE LAWS. Every state has different laws and this traffic stop occurred in Georgia. In the linked article, the writer consulted with legendary attorney William Head.

Here's his info from AVVO: William Head's Bio/AVVO Profile

I'll take his word ANY DAY over anyone here at ATS. If this guy said he didn't break the law, THEN HE DID NOT BREAK THE LAW.

Jesus, what is so difficult to understand about that?

posted on Jan, 31 2015 @ 08:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: ~Lucidity
So there is a law about distracted driving, and it seems it all depends on how the dude was driving. Guess the court will decide. Until then...another molehill-mountain topic for people to get indignant, alarmed, outraged about. Yawns.

a reply to: kosmicjack
Too true. But again, it depends on what he did along with.

Every flipping day I have to drive to work I wish the cops would give out MORE tickets to distracted people doing makeup, shaving, eating, reading emails, typing emails, and generally just not getting their asses in gear fast enough when the light changes.
Where do you drive that it's actually possible to speed in Atlanta? My average MPH is about 15. LOL

According to all of the articles I read, he didn't do anything wrong, driving wise. He was observed by the LEO eating a burger and that was his sole purpose and ONLY reason for pulling him over and giving him the ticket.

That's why it is so ridiculous. If he was weaving, speeding, going too darn slow (my biggest peeve) or driving erratically while eating the burger, give him whatever ticket he can get.

The fact that he was only eating and not making any mistakes while driving and was pulled over AND then cited for it is just nonsense. The LEO probably used the burger eating as an excuse to pull him over so he could nose around to see what else he could possibly find. I'd like to think there may have been more dangerous and distracted drivers out there, but unfortunately he went after the burger eater who was driving just fine.

The texters and the phone (talking) users drive me nuts and are a serious danger on the roads. I see them ALL the time and I find it hard to believe this LEO couldn't find someone who was actually guilty of distracted driving!

I RARELY even talk on my phone while driving and I never text. Ever. I might switch music apps or something at a stop light, but everything else can wait or I pull over if it can't.

I guess it is the big picture that troubles me...

BTW, the worst thing I have seen someone do while driving was a man shaving...With water, shaving cream, and a regular 'ol razor! Not an electric one, lol. He was just a mess on a very congested and busy part of I-75.

edit on 31-1-2015 by lovebeck because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2015 @ 08:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: RoScoLaz4

originally posted by: Domo1

Eating a burger while driving is dangerous.

someone please make this idiocy stop. what is WRONG with everybody? will you only feel safe when every possible risk in everyday life is controlled by legislation and enforced by threat of punishment?

Idk. Makes me wonder if someone is handing out cash bonuses to those who troll the worst!

posted on Jan, 31 2015 @ 08:38 PM
link   
Around my area they are some really great drivers. Passing in no pass area, on bridges and on the right shoulder. Tailgating at a few feet at 60 mph. My favorites are the ones who hit their horn because you put on a turn indicator to turn and slow down. It seems others exiting the highway pisses some people off for some reason.

posted on Jan, 31 2015 @ 09:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Bedlam

...using the computers in their cars to look up plates, using the car radio to ask questions, using their cell phones so the questions won't be recorded for evidence, etc. Why aren't the cops dinged for the same thing? It's not like they do the Bondurant course at Camp Peary to give them special ability.

yup a burger in one hand and using the computer with other all while steering with their knees

posted on Feb, 7 2015 @ 04:04 PM
link   
Update on this:

Eating While Driving Charges Dropped

A man who says he got a traffic ticket for eating a cheeseburger while driving in metro Atlanta won't be prosecuted after all.

Cobb County Solicitor General Barry Morgan said in a written statement Friday that his office submitted a dismissal of the case against Madison Turner, and a judge signed it.

posted on Feb, 21 2015 @ 05:39 AM
link   
a reply to: lovebeck

There are 2 speed limits:
Posted
Prima facie (P/F) aka speed safe for conditions.

Driver was traveling in excess of the P/F speed

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join