It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

On a Path

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 01:37 PM
link   
I’m so glad to have found this forum. Thanks for allowing me to introduce myself. I’m interested in most topics offered in this forum, with the exception of politics and weaponry. Most of the other subjects fascinate me. What brought me to this site, however, was the forum on “Philosophy & Metaphysics”.

About 30 years ago, for several challenging, personal reasons, I began to question what exactly “God” was, (if indeed He/She/It even exists), and how He related to my life. I took this inquiry up like an intellectual pursuit. But my quest was also one with a deep hunger or yearning.

Thus, I began reading books about God,… anything and everything I could get my hands on. I sort of believed in God, I just wasn't sure why. Or, put another way, I needed to find out just exactly how God figured in my life. Where exactly was He, and how did one go about relating to Him?

I had been raised in the Christian Science belief, with a great grandmother who was herself a Christian Science Practitioner. And yet, I did not really understand the teachings of Mary Baker Eddy, its founder.

I started with the postulation that the man, Jesus, did perform the miracles as described in the New Testament, but I wanted to know HOW he did those things. Seriously, from a molecular standpoint, exactly how is it possible to walk on water? To cure leprosy with the touch of one’s hand? What happens to those atoms while the physical change is occurring? What is the source and nature of that energy, and how is it “controlled” or “directed”? I wanted a material, physical understanding of what happened to matter when a healing takes place.

Why was this inquiry important to me? First, because Jesus taught that we could perform such miracles. He did not arrive on the scene and announce to everyone, in effect, “Look at all these cool magic acts that I can do, and you can’t”. His message was exactly the opposite, and yet, sadly, I know of no one who has performed such acts as raising the dead, or walking on water, since Jesus left this earth. Why? What is the knowledge we have lost?

I began reading all the stuff I could my hands on, from authors like Depak Chopra, Thoreau, Descartes, Lao Tzu, Joseph Campbell, Edgar Caycee, M. Scott Peck, Eckhart Tolle, Planck, Carl Jung, Thomas Moore and so many others. Then I started researching on the internet and studying older, more difficult texts to find, like The Tibetan Book of the Dead, and St. John's "Lost Night of The Soul".

I also read some of the Koran, some of the Torah, The Upanishads and other religious texts including all of the Gnostic Gospels. One thing would lead me to the next, and I was voracious. I studied about Buddhism, Taoism, Sufism, Jainism, Mormonism, Islam and the Hindu faith before I came back to the Bible. And then I read the Bible from cover to cover.

I also researched Jesus’ disciples and their histories after the crucifixion, as well as many of the early Saints in the Christian church, like Saint Francis of Assisi, John of The Cross, Joseph of Cupertino and Teresa of Avila. I read many of their writings. All of this took me years.

There is no way to understand matter and energy without delving into quantum physics at the same time, so my search took me into that subject as well. I won’t bore you with a list of authors!

I also began learning how to meditate which took some practice. I now meditate every day. Practicing meditation for these past 20 years has brought about an amazing expansion of consciousness. As a result, I’ve come to have personal experiences with Psi events that I’m interested in exploring further.

I apologize for going on so long. If you’re still awake (snore!), thanks for reading, and I look forward to cyber-meeting everyone here.

Blessings!

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 01:43 PM
link   
Welcome to the best group of experts on the web.

I would love to learn to meditate properly, one day.

Any way, welcome

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 01:58 PM
link   
Welcome to ATS, have fun.

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 02:02 PM
link   
a reply to: FathersGrace

It's a cool thing you are investigating, mate! Keep up the search for truth!

Warm welcomes from a self-taught physicist.

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 02:02 PM
link   

Hello and Welcome!! You sound like a well grounded Individual. That's good, as You will need to be while here. There are many experts in a number of Fields here, as well as those who wish Us to believe they are. You will be able to see the difference. I hope You enjoy Your time spent while furthering Your research and studies in the areas of interest to You!
Remember, "It's just a Ride." (Quote from Comedian Bill Hicks. May He R.I.P.)

Later, Syx.

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 02:33 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 03:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Phatdamage

Phat! Thanks for the warm welcome. If meditation were easy, everyone would be doing it!

With a bit of practice though, you'll get the hang of it, and believe me, it will open "doors" you didn't know existed.

There are many great books that can give helpful advice on the subject, should you wish it. When you're ready, give it a shot. You'll not regret it. Those who ask with an open and willing heart, always receive. You cannot fail.

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 03:10 PM
link   

Quite the introduction! You should find a niche for yourself here. Considering your interests! Welcome.
MS

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 03:26 PM
link   
a reply to: swanne

Thank you, Swanne, for your warm welcome, and might I add that I think it's a pretty cool thing to teach yourself physics!

Just between you and me and the lamp-post, I can remember shortly after I had graduated from college that I was lamenting the fact that I'd never gotten around to taking a chemistry course. I went to the local library and took out a chemistry text book. When my buddies saw me studying it, they thought I was crazy.

I'm no "brainiac" by any stretch, but I do love to learn. Education should be a life-long endeavor, which is why I'm grateful to be here learning from all of you. Thanks again.

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 03:38 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 03:48 PM
link   
a reply to: SyxPak

Hey Syx!

Many thanks for your kind words, and I look forward to a fun "ride" here on the boards. I appreciate the welcome. So many interesting people and topics...

Blessings!

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 03:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Saylesie17

Thank you, Saylesie, for taking your time to say hello and welcome me to ATS. I am already having fun, partly because of the warm and wonderful folks here like you, who take time out of their day to be kind; and partly because there is so much interesting "brain food" here to graze on. OMG, I'm wondering if I'll ever get any work done again.... I could spend all my time here and never get out of my p.j.'s!

Blessings!

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 04:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Night Star

Thank you, Night Star, for your beautiful welcome message! I see that you're a writer, and I look forward to reading your posts. I also see that you're in Rhode Island. I hope you're surviving the snow okay. There's another snow storm on the way - ugh.

Blessings!

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 04:31 PM
link   
a reply to: mysterioustranger

Truthfully, MS, I'm a bit embarrassed about my intro. I did go on *awfully* long. I apologize for that, especially if I've bored the pants off everyone. For me, this personal story was a bit complex. Hope the good folks here don't mind my sharing so much detail.

Thank you for welcoming me, and for your patience. Blessings!

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 04:32 PM
link   

Hi and welcome! I love to read too, nice to know there's plenty of us about! Hope to see you again.

B x

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 05:01 PM
link   

You did well! Exhibited more than enough of yourself to give us all a true view into your personality and interests. You will find many...many...members who share all of your listed interests.

And nothing is ever really too long...its only a short bio explained in depth!

Blessings back at you!

MS

PS And never shorten the thought process until you feel youve got across your points!
edit on 07-31-2014 by mysterioustranger because: ps

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 05:11 PM
link   
a reply to: beansidhe

Ciamar a tha sibh, beansidhe!

Tapadh leat for the welcome, my fellow book lover.

Am I making a perfect fool out of myself for writing in Scottish Gaelic? Probably.

Truth is, I know nothing of the language, but I'd love to learn it. I have Scottish ancestry, and have always wanted to visit your beautiful country. Someday soon, I hope.

Thanks again for your kindness.

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 09:48 PM
link   
Hay and WELCOME,
Love your avatar, and your name is pretty cool too.
It was nice to see an intro that was more than a one liner.
Welcome "A Board" this is the safest and most kind place in space.
There are bumps here and there but the MODS will guide you.
I am not very active at the moment, a little disabled without spell check.
Welcome, I really like your tree.
WIS

posted on Jan, 31 2015 @ 08:11 AM
link   

I'm very well, thank you! And thank you for such a thoughtful reply.

Slainte mhath, FathersGrace!

posted on Jan, 31 2015 @ 08:29 AM
link   
wilkum

so have you reached any conclusions yet?
do you believe that there is One Way, or 'many paths lead to the same destination'?

an atheist and a Christian can watch the same sunset; the atheist will see an astro-meteorologic phenomenon; the Christian will see God's hand at work.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join