It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

All Religions the same? Why no dead celebrities?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 07:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: stosh64

All right, if all the world is a giant battle between good and evil, why are all religions held up for ridicule ... except one?

I can see why you were hesitant, as I would be. But I believe as you do in that regard I would imagine.
Ok, I will ponder that overnight and maybe expand on it in the morning.

Unless you feel the urge to start a thread on it

Thanks for everyones input! And for being the classy people ATS is, well.....mostly

posted on Jan, 31 2015 @ 12:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: stosh64
And I can find the humor in it. While I choose to believe in Jesus, I also accept the fact that not everyone feels that way. And that's fine.

To many people take themselves way to seriously, and try to force their perceived reality on others. I am not one of those.

Nor do I enjoy making fun of others.

I had yesterday the most amazing video idea ever: Starts out disguised as Mohammed, some burlesque dancing/ stripping to "Always look on the bright side of life" from Monty Python and at the end, tying myself on a cross with a friendly smile and singin along. I should do it, right? Dear Islamists, try some tolerance and humor.
I love provocation.
edit on -06:00America/ChicagoAmerica/ChicagopSaturdayAmerica/Chicago by Peeple because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2015 @ 01:03 AM
link   
Sorry if this has been stated, but I think the reason is obvious:
It's not "America's" job to tell Madonna or Kanye not to NOT mock Jesus, OR Allah.
It is the job of those offended by the mocking, they did it, and they won.

I don't think it's right to do either, but apparently Christians don't mind what these artists have done with their art.

I also don't think it's right to tell them they can't, and this sets a bad precedent, above all else.

posted on Jan, 31 2015 @ 01:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: BuzzyWigs
a reply to: criticalhit

There won't be a "distinction" between good Muslims and Bad from a nation of Atheists.

Actually, China has the fastest global growth in Christianity right now.

Christianity (particularly the Protestant variety) has been the big winner in the competition for Chinese souls. If it continues to spread at its current pace, the country is very likely to be home to the world’s largest Christian population within the next 15 years.

www.ft.com...

For the intents and purposes of the discussion and in regards to dealing with Fundamentalism to China's West, this would actually strengthen the argument I made. Realistically I am exaggerating the Atheist aspect, but it is the core of the govt and Industry and politics, beyond that there are many belief systems that don't flourish openly or in a fanatic way all of which are kind of or seriously contrary to the behaviors of radical islam. A mainly Atheist body politic, media and business population in the realm of 1 Billion with let's say 350 Million people of faith actively threatened by the same source as our discussion just gives the Chinese more cannon fodder to throw at the issue when said and done. Let's face it lol... It ain't the Christian portion of the West in conflict with the concept of taking on Islam.

posted on Jan, 31 2015 @ 04:13 AM
link   

This is clearly mocking Jesus in some twisted satanic S&M pose. yet crickets......

OK, first and foremost, let me say that I am NOT defending these images, merely analyzing what I think is the artists intent (I am not a fan of Madonna or Brittenny, for example, far from it).

That said, I do not see anything in those images as 'mocking' Jesus. Instead what I see is an attempt to use the imagery to compare the artist predicament to that of Jesus predicament. She feels persecuted, or at least in the music she is presenting in that particular work the intent is to reflect the idea of persecution.

These artists are not presenting images related to 'a certain other religion' - as you so delicately put it because that is not the religion of their particular background. The founder of that 'certain other religion' did not undergo persecution by hanging on the cross, Jesus did. They do not relate to the fundamentals of the 'certain other religion', it is not part of their world view; it does not communicate the idea they are trying to discuss; why should it play any role in their works of art?

The point is, it isn't a case 'mocking' Jesus; it is a case of 'honoring' the idea of Jesus suffering and relating it to their own suffering. Whether or not that work of 'art' appeals to you, or whether or not the imagery strikes a chord with your own sensibilities is really not their problem. As I said, I don't like Madonna's work in general nor Britney's stuff at all. Lil' Wayne doesn't even impinge on my consciousness much at all. But placing themselves on the cross, is just a shorthand way of saying "I'm suffering". In truth, their suffering is nothing like what Jesus endured, but that isn't the point, and it isn't 'mocking' him, it is acknowledging him.

Are you even aware that there is a difference in the artistic representation of Jesus on the Cross and its meaning to those follow different branches of the church that Peter founded in Jesus name? The Protestants always show the Cross empty to emphasize the risen Christ, while the Roman Catholics always show Jesus on the Cross to emphasize the suffering he endured on our behalf. Neither is more correct than the other, it is merely a difference in emphasis. Is it not obvious that Madonna was raised a Roman Catholic (I don't know about Britney and Lil' Wayne).

My suggestion is that you get over looking for something to be outraged about and learn more about the symbolism inherent in your own faith tradition. Symbolism is the wellspring of art, all art, whether pop shlock like Madonna or Britney or classical masterworks like Beethoven or Michelangelo.

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 07:06 AM
link   

Yeah, I shouldn't brag too much. I'm sure there are tactics that I'm not even aware of lol.

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join