It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The USA Now Negotiates with Terrorists?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 10:36 AM
link   
a reply to: WeAreAWAKE

You can't possibly be that naive. The US is the biggest sponsor of terrorism in the world.

The Reagan campaign was negotiating with the Ayatollahs to keep the hostages until after the election in return for a massive arms deal. You might recognized the name, Donald Rumsfeld?

You might recall the hostages were released within days of the Reagan inauguration?

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 10:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: OtherSideOfTheCoin
Negotiating with terrorists is not necessary a bad thing, giving into their demands is a bad thing, I am sure it was the French who discovered the problems that go with that during the 1990's.

I agree partially that negotiating with your enemy is necessary to bring fighting to and end. But as another poster stated in this thread...a terrorist just wants to kill and create terror. There is no negotiating. Unless that negotiation is "OK...we agree to convert to Islam and follow all it's rules and any other rules you demand". But that isn't a negotiation...it is a surrender.

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 10:42 AM
link   
Oh my.. all those lies that has to constantly being kept track off..

If they just had a computer system that could help them...

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 10:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: InverseLookingGlass

You can't possibly be that naive. The US is the biggest sponsor of terrorism in the world.

The Reagan campaign was negotiating with the Ayatollahs to keep the hostages until after the election in return for a massive arms deal. You might recognized the name, Donald Rumsfeld?

You might recall the hostages were released within days of the Reagan inauguration?

This is more about either we do negotiate with terrorists and we are being lied to when our government says we don't...or...we don't negotiate with terrorists but our government did. Either our government is again lying to us, or our government is again lying to us.

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 10:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: kloejen
Oh my.. all those lies that has to constantly being kept track off..

If they just had a computer system that could help them...

As sad as that video is...I was just laughing with my wife watching this. This poor guy was told to lie about something he knows is a lie and is scrambling to try to make it sound like the truth. And failing. How far is this from him saying "I'm not standing here." and a reporter saying "Sure you are, you are answering our questions." and him responding "No...no I'm not".

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 11:01 AM
link   
The Taliban was absolutely NOT considered a terrorist organization by the US when Obama (through an intermediary) negotiated the release of Bowe "deserterface" Bergdahl.

It was a criminal act because he did it without congressional approval, not because of any terrorist ties.

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 11:03 AM
link   
People forget that america has done deals with terrorist of there ennemys in the past, plz people get educated and stop getting your facts from the big media companys,fox,cnn,msnbc.
edit on 30-1-2015 by dukeofjive696969 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 11:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: abe froman
The Taliban was absolutely NOT considered a terrorist organization by the US when Obama (through an intermediary) negotiated the release of Bowe "deserterface" Bergdahl.

It was a criminal act because he did it without congressional approval, not because of any terrorist ties.

I think you are incorrect about the Taliban. There are more links stating this also.
Terror Groups

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 11:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: WeAreAWAKE

originally posted by: InverseLookingGlass

This is more about either we do negotiate with terrorists and we are being lied to when our government says we don't...or...we don't negotiate with terrorists but our government did. Either our government is again lying to us, or our government is again lying to us.

I think you hit the nail on the head!

None of us REALLY know what is going on.

The information we get is what we are ALLOWED to get. The propaganda arm of the government, the MSM, only tells us what they are ALLOWED to tell us.

Consider this quote from John Swinton, former Chief of Staff for the New York Times in an address to the New York Press club.
"There is no such thing, at this date of the world's history, in America, as an independent press. You know it and I know it. There is not one of you who dares to write your honest opinions, and if you did, you know beforehand that it would never appear in print. I am paid weekly for keeping my honest opinion out of the paper I am connected with. Others of you are paid similar salaries for similar things, and any of you who would be so foolish as to write honest opinions would be out on the streets looking for another job. If I allowed my honest opinions to appear in one issue of my paper, before twenty-four hours my occupation would be gone. The business of the journalists is to destroy the truth; to lie outright; to pervert; to vilify; to fawn at the feet of mammon, and to sell his country and his race for his daily bread. You know it and I know it and what folly is this toasting an independent press? We are the tools and vassals of rich men behind the scenes. We are the jumping jacks, they pull the strings and we dance. Our talents, our possibilities and our lives are all the property of other men. We are intellectual prostitutes." John Swinton, former Chief of Staff, The New York Times.

To me this quote says it all.

NONE of us know what really goes on.
We can debate what their spin on policy is, but none of us know what the real policy is or the true intentions of those in power is.

We get little nuggets of 'truth' accidently every once in a while, like the quote above. Just enough to let us know that the VAST majority of information we get is complete BS.
edit on 1 30 2015 by stosh64 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 11:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: abe froman

Hmmm

On October 4, 2001, British Prime Minister Tony Blair released information compiled by Western intelligence agencies connecting Osama bin Laden to the Afghanistan's Taliban leadership as well as being the leader of the al-Qaeda organization.[27] The Taliban government gave safe haven to Osama bin Laden in the years leading up to the attack, and his al-Qaeda network may have had a close relationship with the Taliban army and police.[citation needed] On the day of 9/11, the Taliban foreign minister told the Arab television network Al Jazeera: "We denounce this terrorist attack, whoever is behind it."[98]

The United States requested the Taliban to shut down all al-Qaeda bases in Afghanistan, open them to inspection and turn over Osama bin Laden. The Taliban refused all these requests. Instead they offered to extradite Osama bin Laden to an Islamic country, for trial under Islamic law, if the United States presented evidence of his guilt.[99] The Taliban had previously refused to extradite bin Laden to the United States, or prosecute him, after he was indicted by the US federal courts for involvement in the 1998 United States embassy bombings in Kenya and Tanzania.[100] The Taliban deemed eyewitness testimony and satellite phone call recordings entered in the public record in February 2001 during a trial as insufficient grounds to extradite bin Laden for his involvement in the bombings.[citation needed]

Invoking the Bush Doctrine, which stated "We will make no distinction between the terrorists and those who harbor them", the United States and Britain invaded and overthrew the Taliban regime in 2001, using air power, special forces and the Northern Alliance as a land army.

On November 29, 2007, a videotape was released that The Central Intelligence Agency says is likely to be from bin Laden. In it the speaker claims sole responsibility for the attacks and specifically denies any prior knowledge of them by The Taliban or the Afghan people

source

Really ? The "war on terrorism" that resulted from 9/11 was not against "terrorists/terrorism"?
edit on 30/1/2015 by kloejen because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 11:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: buster2010
Obama didn't negotiate with the Taliban Qatar did the negotiating. Anyway he's not the first President to have dealings with the Taliban here's the first one.

That is a G DAMN LIE.

The 'Taliban' did not exist under the Reagan administration. It formed in the 90s. Well After Reagan was out of office.

That was the Afghan Mujahideen in 1983.

en.wikipedia.org...

Real photo sans bullsnip caption

The Taliban Active from 1994-1996 (militia), 1996-2001(government)

en.wikipedia.org...
edit on 30-1-2015 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 11:43 AM
link   

Obama didn't negotiate with the Taliban Qatar did the negotiating. Anyway he's not the first President to have dealings with the Taliban here's the first one.

Sweet pic man. One thing though: Reagan never said that about them. He said that about Nicaraguan Contras.

Oh, and the picture is from 1983, not 1985.

Oh yea I forgot this tidbit too: the Taliban militia was formed in '94. So 11 years after that picture was taken.

But hey other than that, that picture is spot on accurate

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 11:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: neo96

That is a G DAMN LIE.

The 'Taliban' did not exist under the Reagan administration. It formed in the 90s. Well After Reagan was out of office.

That was the Afghan Mujahideen in 1983.

en.wikipedia.org...

Real photo sans bullsnip caption

The Taliban Active from 1994-1996 (militia), 1996-2001(government)

en.wikipedia.org...

Dang it I took too long to type and you beat me to it. Frickin mobile

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 11:46 AM
link   
a reply to: neo96

So the name of the group is wrong, the principle is still there.

We have always done it until we didn't have a horse in the race and then we use the cheesy "we don't negotiate" line.

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 11:50 AM
link   
a reply to: Shamrock6

I thought they would see the lie from the woman in the photo.

We all know what the taliban think of women.

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 11:52 AM
link   
a reply to: Sremmos80

It's not just the picture. Everything about it is wrong beyond "Ronald Reagan." It's a blatant attempt at distorting and sensationalizing something with an obvious political end game.

If somebody threw up a picture, out of context, of Obama with a quote of him saying something, out of context, and I could dispute it, I would do the same.

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 12:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Shamrock6

A distortion indeed:

At least one component of the Reagan Doctrine technically pre-dated the Reagan Presidency. In Afghanistan, the Carter administration began providing limited covert military assistance to Afghanistan's mujahideen in an effort to drive the Soviets out of the nation, or at least raise the military and political cost of the Soviet occupation of Afghanistan

en.wikipedia.org...

That goes all the way back to Carter.

But they ignore it.
edit on 30-1-2015 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 12:19 PM
link   
And finally on topic:

The current administration will negotiate with AQ,Iran,ISIS, and every other terrorist group/country out there.

But he won't negotiate with Republicans.

I think he's got that backasswards.

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 12:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: Shamrock6

It's not just the picture. Everything about it is wrong beyond "Ronald Reagan." It's a blatant attempt at distorting and sensationalizing something with an obvious political end game.

If somebody threw up a picture, out of context, of Obama with a quote of him saying something, out of context, and I could dispute it, I would do the same.

No...it would NOT be the same. It would be racist

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 12:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: WeAreAWAKE

originally posted by: Shamrock6

No...it would NOT be the same. It would be racist

I didn't say IT would be the same, I said my reaction would be the same.

But I concede the point

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join